Battery issues? You're just paranoid

Darus214

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I know people are saying there are issues with the battery but after a few days with the phone, I realize the "estimated time remaining" is the culprit. Coming from the iPhone, I am not used to having an estimate of how much battery I have left. On the iPhone I just knew that if its 2pm and I have 70%, that should last me till the night. With the L920, that battery estimate really threw me off when I saw only a few hours remaining when I was at 90% (6 hours remaining at around 11 am). The reason it said that was because I just woke up and was browsing reddit, gizmodo, engadget, reading my mail, and watching a few short youtube videos....my usual 'wake up' routine. The phone was simply saying that if I continue to do this, I wont make it through the day. After that I went on to make a few calls, text, snap about 15 pictures, 1 video, and browse the net on top of checking mail throughout my entire day. It is now 630 and I left the phone unattended for about 30 min and my remaining battery says 2 days and 4 hours at 40%. SO, the thing people should be looking for in their phone is battery life relative to use instead of complaining of issues when in fact the battery is on par, if not a bit better, than nearly all smartphones out today. Use your phone the way you used your old phone prior to the L920 and don't check the "remaining battery life" stats as they can be a bit misleading. At the end of the day you will be surprised.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes because your experience assuming it is accurate is the same for everybody else.

Ok, im up at 730 out of the house ready to work and my phone is at 25%-30% around 2:30-3:00pm. Now before you say my configs are bad and turn this stuff and that stuff off like every person does, let me know show you what i have.

ON Wifi 90% of the day
no blue tooth, no nfc
only 1 app running in background weather everything else is turned off, please dont mention drive, cuz i kknow about drive, its turned off, put on connection offline
3 emails 1 manual update, 1 30 min update, other as it arrives
people, me, and personal tile with live tile updates.
xbox music connection off
xbox gaming sync off
backoff
facebook chat off

Here is my usage

30-40 texts
5 -10 min calls
no more than 20 emails for the day combined all three emails
about 1 our ie10 surfing
about 20 min of app surfing liek nextgen, wpcentral, people hub

yet my battery drains to 25-30% by 2-3 o clock, only way i keep it alive is by not even using the phone.

paranoid? read the threads, why are a numbe rof people with the same experience?

50 people document bad battery life, you say you dont have one, so the bad battery doesnt exist. Clearly the earth circles you vs the sun.

anon(5324511)

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not too worried about the battery! I'm not from the Amish lands, everywhere I go there is usually electricity...I just plug it in if it gets low!! =)

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Excellent point I meant to post this on the other thread. The estimated time is the worse way to guage your battery usage, its much better to use the percentage left as it should be based on the actual power left in the battery.

blackfire

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
OK, it is true that the "remaining battery life" might not be used as a real measure of how long will it last. At least they added something to let you know what to expect if the user continues using the phone the way they are when looking at that metric; but I completely disagree with the statement that there are no issues at all. A considerable amount of people reporting issues, and my own black 920 has them as well. It gets very hot in the back and it drains the battery very fast. That said, I did followed the recommendations by others and turned off NFC. After doing this, the battery life on my 920 is almost as I was expecting it to be. If I don't hear an official statement from Nokia or Microsoft on the battery drain issue, I will assume my unit is defective and just exchange it for another one.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
That's why I ignore the "Remaining battery life" since it changes dynamically, I rely strictly on the percentage. And when that percentage goes down 20% in an hour by sending a few texts and emails, there's an issue.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
No my first handset (all 3 white) heated up badly and battery life was horrible (5 hours)

First return and the phone bricked on reset ( had video and pics from Nokia factory).

3rd phone and its been going all day since 11 pm yesterday. I'm at 20% now.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Its the second day with my phone and I just didn't care at all today compared to yesterday. Bluetooth streaming to my car radio, texting all day, 2 hours worth of phone calls, about 30 emails through 3 ActiveSync accounts, internet sharing with my tablet, being in full lte coverage... I ended up charging the phone midday in the car while streaming for about 20 minutes... I'm just enjoying my beautiful new phone!

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I had one day where my battery didn't last as long as I'd expected it to. I turned off NFC and location services just to see what would happen and my battery life went through the roof. I went from having 30% battery left at the end of the day to having more than 70% left. HUGE difference. I know most people may not want to turn those features off, but for the most part they are useless to me. The map or local scout are the only things I use that I can think of that should require location services. NFC I'm not going to use either except perhaps if I buy one of those speakers.

blackfire

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
No my first handset (all 3 white) heated up badly and battery life was horrible (5 hours)

First return and the phone bricked on reset ( had video and pics from Nokia factory).

3rd phone and its been going all day since 11 pm yesterday. I'm at 20% now.

So would you suggest I replace mine then?

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
So would you suggest I replace mine then?

if it is heating up badly I would say exchange it as my new one does not get even nearly as hot and the battery life is on par with my HTC titan now. There still may be some battery issues with the operating system as a whole, but the return made a night and day difference for me.

Granted I had to return 2 handsets to get a good one

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
OP,

I think you are just making a huge blanket statement here. There are people who have mentioned having as little as six hours battery life out of their phone. This has nothing to do with their estimated time remaining and everything to do with the phone being dead as a doornail six hours after removal from the charger. We run the risk of paranoia, I get that, but battery issues seem to be very real for some.

fradchad

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. I have come from iPhone last May to the Galaxy Nexus; now to the Lumia 920. They are all comparable within 5-10% of battery power by the time I get home. I usually always have 20% left.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
In my first day with my HSPA+ HTC 8X. my battery was at 20% 6 hours after the last charge. I did a lot of fine tuning, now two weeks later the same phone was at 63% after using it from 06:30 to 01:30. I use only Edge when on the road. WiFi for surfing etc. Using smart settings and managing your connections plus two weeks of use increase battery life substantially. There is no reason not to adjust your phone as to max out the battery. Try it;

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills