voice recognition is horrible

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a troll I have a 920 (which is getting replaced because of a bad battery) but is there anything in this phone\os even come close to android or IOS features?

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Voice recognition is lacking. You would have to give me specific problems you have with other features for me to comment further. For the most part, I find them on par or better than the competition.

fradchad

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I have actually been surprised at how much better the voice recognition is compared to my galaxy nexus. Now that was a piece of junk in translating.

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Your thread is about the voice recognition being "Horrible" ( which I totally disagree). Then you start of by saying your not a troll. Then you say this:

"is there anything in this phone\os even come close to android or IOS features?"

Come on now. :dry

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I have actually been surprised at how much better the voice recognition is compared to my galaxy nexus. Now that was a piece of junk in translating.

Seriously? Wow. Completely different experience on my end.

Same with me when I was using my GNex. Google does a great job of speech recognition. I used it extensively.

WP8 does a good job too, I just can't get it to put a "." When I say "period".

Sniper1087

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Seriously? Wow. Completely different experience on my end.

I agree with you I had an iPhone and a SGS3 and both have better recognition, also had a JB Rom on the SGS3 so I had Google Now and well the WP8 Voice recognition fails most of the time with simple tasks like call that person, I will say 60-70% of the time fails,I cant wait for an app to be working just like competitors, other than that love my lumia.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a troll I have a 920 (which is getting replaced because of a bad battery) but is there anything in this phone\os even come close to android or IOS features?

This post is a joke, right?

Question for you: why did you get the 920? If there is nothing that "comes close" to Android or iOS, then why not just stick with those? Your post is obviously meant to stir up controversy, which is why you felt the need to preface it by saying you're not a troll.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Your thread is about the voice recognition being "Horrible" ( which I totally disagree). Then you start of by saying your not a troll. Then you say this: "is there anything in this phone\os even come close to android or IOS features?" Come on now. :dry
the voice recognition,daytime camera is buggy,many users have to turn everything off just to get the phone to stay on due to s hanky battery (hopefully this gets fixed),Nokia drive, maps,NFC, I dunno every major feature that this handset advertised has to be disabled or is buggy gor some reason or another. How does that make me a troll. I'm typing this on a cyan 920 (which is also affected by a crap battery and I'm waiting for a replacement)

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
This post is a joke, right? Question for you: why did you get the 920? If there is nothing that "comes close" to Android or iOS, then why not just stick with those? Your post is obviously meant to stir up controversy, which is why you felt the need to preface it by saying you're not a troll.
I got the 920 because I was bored of the iPhone. I love the WP is I used a Sammy focus for a little bit and liked it. I was gonnna use my upgrade and get a 900 but after reading about the issues with the crap camera and such I held out for wp8. When the 920 was announced I fell in the with its size, and features but having the features and not being able to use them is pathetic or having them and they are just plan bad is disappointing. Its not about stirring up anything. Its about being a disappointed consumer. I'm a Yankee fanatic and I'm highly critical of the team. I like WP is and the Lumia 920 but because if all these issues I've become critical of both,doesn't mean I'm trolling.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I got the 920 because I was bored of the iPhone. I love the WP is I used a Sammy focus for a little bit and liked it. I was gonnna use my upgrade and get a 900 but after reading about the issues with the crap camera and such I held out for wp8. When the 920 was announced I fell in the with its size, and features but having the features and not being able to use them is pathetic or having them and they are just plan bad is disappointing. Its not about stirring up anything. Its about being a disappointed consumer. I'm a Yankee fanatic and I'm highly critical of the team. I like WP is and the Lumia 920 but because if all these issues I've become critical of both,doesn't mean I'm trolling.

I too am a Yankees fan. Anyway, give it some time and give the phone a chance. It's obvious you do not know much about the phone or OS by your statements. Browse the forums and the main site for help. But don't come here and make broad negative statements about the phone, on a Windows Phone forum, and expect to be well received.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
my statements are not just my own and they are facts for a large portion of users of this forum. I want wp8 and this phone to succeed or I wouldn't have purchased it. We are all here to support these devices and this platform but there's no reason for sugar coating the issues. If I didn't want the phone I wouldn't be waiting 2 weeks for Att to send me a replacement. At this point there shouldn't be this many issues with the is or the device. Microsoft and Nokia obviously rushed them just like MS did with windows 8 and xbox360. Pump it out and patch it later. That's sad.
. Apple seems to be going down this route as well and their quality is diminishing. Samsung looks like the only competent OEM right now.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Joey. Read your first post. That is what has people upset. Its that simple. Almost nothing you said there is objective. It doesn't matter what your intentions are, you came off as a person trying to get a rise out of people here. And it turns out you did. There are better ways to have approached the problem. Accept that and move on rather than trying to defend yourself here... Mu two cents.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
As far as your rushed to market comment, I agree. On ghag same token people here, myself included, were upset that the phone wad announced and then everyone was keeping a tight lip on a launch date. The point where they tripped up is that they wanted to get the phone into the public eye before apple and google got theirs out. All the while they had issues unresolved, as I think is evidence of them pushing the release dates out so far, and then of course the gross lack of purchasable handsets. The market is so competitive that it just seems to be the nature of the beast anymore.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
by me saying the voice recognition. And other features are horrible are bad got people defensive? That's their problem. There's no reason to be defensive. Its simple the truth. If people can't take the truth then they have issues. I'm not going to coddle anyone or sugar coat things. I like the hardware I just wish certain aspects worked or were better than what was promised.every post in these forums when someone says they are disappointed with the outcome of the phone or wp8 they get slammed so unless you have a perfectly working device along with features you can't express your displeasure while other can have orgasms over their happiness . Lumgasms? Lumiagasms? Lugasms? Hmmm

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
by me saying the voice recognition. And other features are horrible are bad got people defensive? That's their problem. There's no reason to be defensive. Its simple the truth. If people can't take the truth then they have issues. I'm not going to coddle anyone or sugar coat things. I like the hardware I just wish certain aspects worked or were better than what was promised.

there is seriously ambiguity on what i was referring to? You literally asked if anything this phone dies comes close to android or IOS. THAT is what got people defensive. Nobody wants coddling or sugar coating.

Also, when you have to open your post with "I am not a troll", that says a little about what you are saying. Had you left those two parts in question out nobody would have issues. Look at the responses and see for yourself.

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
my statements are not just my own and they are facts for a large portion of users of this forum. I want wp8 and this phone to succeed or I wouldn't have purchased it. We are all here to support these devices and this platform but there's no reason for sugar coating the issues. If I didn't want the phone I wouldn't be waiting 2 weeks for Att to send me a replacement. At this point there shouldn't be this many issues with the is or the device. Microsoft and Nokia obviously rushed them just like MS did with windows 8 and xbox360. Pump it out and patch it later. That's sad.
. Apple seems to be going down this route as well and their quality is diminishing. Samsung looks like the only competent OEM right now.

Listen to yourself. Your thread title is about the voice recognition being "Horrible". Then, you slowly but surely morphed the topic from voice recognition to pretty much a laundry list of complaints. Yes some people have less than optimal battery issues, but that's why there is a thread dedicated to that with people genuinely trying to help each other by posting suggestions that actually work and help. And it's the nature of the beast that people with issues are more vocal. I'm willing to wager that there are far more people without issues than you might be led to believe.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I'll give him this though, might not have to do with voice recognition but, Speech to Text through a bluetooth on this phone is vastly different and I would say time consuming compared to my Titan II.

On my Titan II, i received a text, lady repeats the message (ask if I want to respond or ignore), I respond (ask if it's correct and would like to send) done!

On my Nokia 920, I receive a text, there is a 2 second delay before she reads, there is another option now which I feel doesn't make sense, I respond (ask if it's correct and would like to send) then done. It may look the same but there is a difference between the two phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise