Night shots with 920 camera

ad2107

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Anyone tried taking photos in complete darkness? I tried last night with default settings and focus assist light on, but I'm getting horrible results (see attached image).

I tried to replicate the results found here... an extreme nokia lumia 920 camera test in very low light!!!! - YouTube

sorry, the guy does curse a bit, but all my shots just turn out dark. Can anyone post some shots from dark rooms for comparison? I hope I don't have a faulty camera, as this is my second 920 (1st exchanged due to battery issues). Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 12

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
And to answer your question... I have not tried pitch black shots.

I did notice the aim assist light is ridiculously awesome.

ad2107

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the focus assist should do wonders in a dark setting, but not in my case. Please let me know if you end up trying, I'm guessing my camera is faulty. I've tried different settings - default, night shot, low ISO, focus assist on/off and the results are the same. Even hard reset the phone to make sure it wasn't a software issue.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Complete darkness is going to look bad on any camera that is not producing a light source. The 920 is wonderful at taking a diminished light source and using it to its advantage. If there is no light source, there is no light source. Pitch black is going to remain pitch black. This camera is efficient in low light situations, but it isn't magic.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Wouldn't flash produce the same result on any camera?
Not necessarily. It depends on how well that camera is able to pick up said light. Flash is kind of a band aid approach to picture taking IMO. It just attempts to flood the foreground with light for a moment. Really dark shots with flash ime still turn out horrible.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The pics in that vid were likely taken in a dark room, but NOT complete darkness. It looks completely dark because of the limitations of the video camera.

Darus214

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Just switch it to night mode. I thought my camera was ok but when you switch it to night mode that's when it works its magic. Now, it won't work if you're in pitch dark ( no camera will) but if there is a light source, it will work wonders.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans