Some Black 920s have manufacturing defect...probable cause of dust issue

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
My phone has been great so far, but when I held it a certain way I heard a clicking sound. I originally thought I was pushing in on the SIM card cover, but in fact I was pushing the entire top of the phone down. When you push down right around where the headphone jack is toward the screen there is an audible click and you can see it press down into the phone. That means dust can get in there as it's not sealed properly. This is a major manufacturing flaw, and is the probable reason dust is getting into a few users front facing camera considering it's right there. I'd advise others to push down on the top of their phones to see if their phone is sealed properly. I just called AT&T and my white replacement is on the way. I'm not taking any chances with the black again.

Balkan Eddy

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I dont think its defect i think they are all like that i have 3 black at home and they all do the same, even tried in the store couple of more and they all click and flex a bit when you put some force.
The space in in-between where you insert the sim and the screen is so small like couple of millimeters tick that i dont see how will not flex at all, its just impossible not to flex by design.

i think its just design defect, you can exchange all you want but i bet they all will do the same.
Unless the white has different sturdier material which i doubt.

graigsmith

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
i took mine back and decided to get the iphone 5. there was just too many issues.

i had dust under my front lens. the front glass of mine did flex a bit. like it was sitting atop foam tape or something.

my internet sharing didn't work. every time i turned it on, and connected an ipad or mac or my work windows pc it would do weird stuff. it would work, and then suddenly stop. then i would have to reset the phone to get the hotspot on again.

i had crashing. it did it twice. once when i turned the phone off it just crashed, and had to hold power and down to get it to reset. then i had tried using the voice calling feature, the feature worked. but then as soon as it started dialing it just rebooted itself.. 2 crashes in a week is just unacceptable to me. with my old iphone 4 i may have got 2 system crashes in a year, if that.. in fact i may not have ever had the iphone actually crash. i have had to end task on software before. but at least the phone never actually crashed.

the mac sync software stopped working after i did a system reset on the phone. now when i plug the phone in the mac sync app just crashes. it does it every time.. couldn't figure out how to fix it.

Microsoft and Nokia had their chance with me, and they blew it. i gave them a try i could have worked through some of these issues. but having this many issues at launch is not going to work for me, so i returned it.. and i wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of other people return their lumia 920s

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I dont think its defect i think they are all like that i have 3 black at home and they all do the same, even tried in the store couple of more and they all click and flex a bit when you put some force.
The space in in-between where you insert the sim and the screen is so small like couple of millimeters tick that i dont see how will not flex at all, its just impossible not to flex by design.

i think its just design defect, you can exchange all you want but i bet they all will do the same.
Unless the white has different sturdier material which i doubt.

I hate to tell you this, but I have confirmed this is a manufacturing defect and not a design issue. I went over to AT&T and checked the demo units they had in stock, both black and white. Neither had this problem. I pressed hard on the top of the device and there was no give at all. Also, if this was a design issue then the demo units sent to reviewers would have had it, and the reviewers would have jumped all over something like this. It feels poorly constructed, and that can never be the case for a high-end electronics device like this.

ryude

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Bought my red 920 on launch day, it's never done this. I push as hard as I can and I still can't see any kind of flex. The only thing I've noticed is the small light leak left of the back button at night.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone 5 is having issues with freezing and with the maps fiasco and new adapter they are screwing people on I would not touch it with a 10 foot pole. I think the 920 and Win 8 is having some issues, but I fully expect MS and Nokia to address the issues. Overall, this phone is much better than my iPhone 3GS and HTC Shift Android. Sounds like you are an Apple man though, so if it suits you better just go back.

atlbuc

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I too had this issue with my Black Lumia 920, it would pop very loudly near the top above the at&t logo. I took it back and got another one. This one did not really pop but was moving at the top and bottom near the left speaker grill.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I crack up at the guy with the Mac that got a Lumia 920, hates it and went to an iPhone 5. It honestly sounds like you had a bad device, and it stands to reason that if you exchanged it for another device (it was just released, we have that 14-day window) your issues may have been gone. To each his own.

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a white one that doesn't really POP. if you press you here the screen flex. I have doesn't in my front facing camera. I think the dust problem is a design defect with the phone.

gbx5

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
If you guys have a pop or flex, you guys have a manufacturing defect. Stop kidding yourselves and spreading false information.

I've been through 3 bad units already, two of them were rock solid no matter how much force you use and could withstand a missile crisis. If you go to a store and claim that every demo unit has the flex welp guess what? That just shows you how unbelievable rampant this issue has gotten and Nokia should be ashamed of themselves. You owe it to yourselves to keep exchanging until you get a perfect unit because you should expect no less from your money or a three/two year commitment.

Mpm277

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
If you guys have a pop or flex, you guys have a manufacturing defect. Stop kidding yourselves and spreading false information.

I've been through 3 bad units already, two of them were rock solid no matter how much force you use and could withstand a missile crisis. If you go to a store and claim that every demo unit has the flex welp guess what? That just shows you how unbelievable rampant this issue has gotten and Nokia should be ashamed of themselves. You owe it to yourselves to keep exchanging until you get a perfect unit because you should expect no less from your money or a three/two year commitment.

That's good in theory, but ATT only allows one exchange. I'm taking mine back tomorrow because of all the minor issues. I would get another 920, but since I wouldn't be allowed to bring it back if something were wrong with it, I'm just canceling my upgrade and keeping my iPhone 4.

danyl27

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I have taken 2 black 920's back so far. First time was for dust getting into my front facing camera, at first I thought that it caused the screen to go black when I made a call but soon realized dust must have also got in front of the sensor that's on the right side of the FFC. My second phone had the horrible rattling sound even when you used the back, start and search buttons.
the at&t manager almost refused to exchange the phone for the rattling problem but I was able to convince him to do it only because I did a lot of research about that issue before I got there. My third phone I thought was perfect, the glass seemed to be seated evenly and the vibrations were solid. I have also tested for clicking at the top near the headphone jack and I don't have it. Unfortunately about 2 days later i started to see dust inside the front facing camera Again..... ( the dust obviously came from my pocket )

I don't know what nokia was thinking letting the manufactures get away with this kind of quality, but then again maybe that's why its priced at $450 W/O Contract. I don't think I will get a better quality 920 than this one anytime soon, specially since my 14 days is up, so here's what's going to happen. I went out and bought some super glue... lol
I found that if you blow hard enough into the lining between the glass and plastic right above the FFC you can force air inside and fog up the inside of the FFC. That right there tells me where the dust is getting in. I've taken a sewing needle and very very lightly dipped it in the superglue and very very carefully and slowly filled the lining. Its only been about a half an hour but so far I am not able to blow air into the FFC anymore. If your crazy like me and decide to try this make sure you also fill the lining above the proximity sensor because if that gets dust in front of it you will be forced to return the phone whether you wanted to or not cause when you try and make a call the screen will automatically go black and you wont be able to end the call. Ill post again in a few days with an update.

Last edited:

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
My second phone had the horrible rattling sound even when you used the back, start and search buttons

The back, start, and search buttons are electronic touch buttons, not physical buttons. There is no physical movement when you press them.

I hope any belief that you had about having credibility on this site is gone. Please go troll somewhere else.

danyl27

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
The back, start, and search buttons are electronic touch buttons, not physical buttons. There is no physical movement when you press them.

I hope any belief that you had about having credibility on this site is gone. Please go troll somewhere else.

Wow.. ah.. yea electronic buttons that activate the vibration function of the phone. The vibration function creates the rattling but ok, I'm sorry that you got confused by something so simple.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Wow.. ah.. yea electronic buttons that activate the vibration function of the phone. The vibration function creates the rattling but ok, I'm sorry that you got confused by something so simple.

The haptic vibration was that rough on yours? Understandable to be concerned. The vibration on mine when pressing the capacitive buttons is slight, just enough to let me know I hit it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros