Turn off 4G LTE on AT&T Lumia 920

jeffaz76

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I tend to agree with you that it seems like that is the case. It seems like it is an AT&T dictated move. I'll still voice my displeasure at them so they know it matters to the customer. I've already reached out to Nokia on twitter, facebook, email , and phone. Basically the response is ask your wireless carrier or "we'll pass this along to the team". If enough people complained maybe they would take it up with them. I wasn't aware that the S3 didn't have this switch either until today. Apparently Verizon does the same thing. I am assuming then that no other devices can turn off LTE other than the iPhone. Had I known this and the unreliability of LTE, then I would not have signed a two year agreement. T-Mobile, no contract, and unlocked seems the way to go. I'm going to press AT&T on this issue some more and see how far I get. Not expecting much though.

jeffaz76

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Turning cell data off even while on wifi is no good. Don't get notified of voicemail. I installed this access point program here access point | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Once installed the app is in settings. The 3G option does not work for me. Phone says LTE and gets no data. The other options are LTE 1 and LTE 2. They seem to get the phone working back to normal and seem to be about the same. I'll report back if I notice any difference. I got the app and also tried the manual internet apn settings from the following link but the manual entries I made did not work either http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/209413-t-lumia-920-mms-apn-print.html

I chatted with an AT&T rep about the issue and of course they blamed the manufacturers. When I said the manufacturers have no interest in doing such a thing, mentioned the iPhone, and that it must be dictated by AT&T, they said they would bring up my concerns with their manager. the rep acknowledged that there are work arounds posted on the internet, but would not provide any support for them.

jeffaz76

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Don't install the app from previous post. It didn't seem to help and it broke internet sharing. So I decided to flash back to the 1249 ROM, which I was quite happy with anyway. It wasn't easy as there aren't very good tutorials and the steps seemed to vary, but I got it done.

jeffaz76

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I am wondering if the field test menu was removed entirely. Maybe it could be side loaded back in to the new rom. This would be solved by now if wp8 had the army of developers android has. I miss that aspect. One thing I don't miss about android is constantly flashing my phone. I thought I'd never flash my Nokia outside of OTA. Oh well...Back to the days of looking for a fix.

revfast

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I been able to change it to 3g (AKA 4g) by going to Settings -> Access Point, there are 3 options ATT 3G, ATT LTE 1, ATT LTE 2, I just selected the 3g AP and its been connecting to only 3g/4g, I see that signal still drops (issue with the 1308 firmware) but at least you'll have better life on battery.

CapnPauly

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I been able to change it to 3g (AKA 4g) by going to Settings -> Access Point, there are 3 options ATT 3G, ATT LTE 1, ATT LTE 2, I just selected the 3g AP and its been connecting to only 3g/4g, I see that signal still drops (issue with the 1308 firmware) but at least you'll have better life on battery.
How did you enable "Access Point"? I don't have that option under "Settings". :/

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
"access point" is not an actual setting... it's an app designed by Nokia that will let you change your apn on the fly instead of having to manually enter it. You can download it from the store.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
So anybody find this code yet to turn off LTE?

I was in vegas al this weekend and the LTE reception near the strip was horrendous, especially in my hotel Paris. It seemed the phone was struggling to sustain LTE connection and i wanted to go hspa permanently to see if that helped, but the old codes didnt work. WTF, anybody find the code yet?

jeffaz76

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
You can find the access point app in the link I posted on this page several posts back. I wouldn't recommend it though if you are on AT&T. When I clicked on 3G it did nothing. My phone stayed on LTE. When I clicked on LTE 1 or 2 Internet sharing would not work. I couldn't remove the app, since it's not an app so much as a setting. At that point I had enough of the 1308 update and flashed the 1249 back. Phone working fine now on 1249, got the field test menu back, been on 3G with no issues. If someone has success with access point app on AT&T and the 1308 update, please link the app here. Maybe it is different from the one I found. It doesn't appear to come up in a search in Store. Success meaning it actually switches your network to 3G (disables LTE) and internet sharing works - assuming you are on a plan like mine that allows interent sharing (mobile share). Still looking for an LTE off fix (w/o breaking anything else) before updating again. Thanks.

CapnPauly

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
"access point" is not an actual setting... it's an app designed by Nokia that will let you change your apn on the fly instead of having to manually enter it. You can download it from the store.
While not as handy as being able to control it via the OS directly, this would be nice.

I can't find "Access Point" or "Nokia Access Point" in the Store. Is that the actual name of it?

jeffaz76

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site

Revfast - are you on AT&T with a locked AT&T phone? Activating the 3G option did nothing on my phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss