Turn off 4G LTE on AT&T Lumia 920

SofaTester

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Same - WTF - this was a perfect work around via pinning it as a contact to the start screen. Now I'm locked into 3g (phone says 4g) with no way of changing back to auto or 2g. Is there a different ##xxxx## code?

Nokia Care told me to try a Hard Reset, currently trying.

SofaTester

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
What were the default settings? I'm thinking people might want to know to change it before upgrading.

Automatic.

A lot of us changed to 3G only or 2G only for better service, and are now locked onto that setting with no way to change it since they took it away in this update.

jreed3000

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Let us know if it puts it back to auto and u can get LTE. But even if that works - is there no way to hardlock the radio to 3g easily? Do changing the APN's work on this phone (only tested doing that on samsung anddroids).

Nokia Care told me to try a Hard Reset, currently trying.

SofaTester

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Let us know if it puts it back to auto and u can get LTE. But even if that works - is there no way to hardlock the radio to 3g easily? Do changing the APN's work on this phone (only tested doing that on samsung anddroids).

Haven't tried that either, but yeah no other way now, automatic only now. May try that after this Hard Reset gets done, taking forever.

Still so pissed Nokia removed that in the update, why remove it? It was something that was very very useful for many people.

RonnieJP

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I think I may have found a fix. Shut down your phone for a few minutes and remove the SIM card. Then turn your phone back on without the SIM card installed. Of course, you will see the SIM card error message, etc. Now, power off your phone, re-install the SIM and power back on. I got a pop-up message saying "Phone mode changed to GSM" (whatever that meant?) Now, I get the LTE symbol. I'll do some further testing to see if it reverts to 4G symbol when I am not in an LTE area. So, before you guys start doing hard resets, stay tuned.

SofaTester

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Well I've already started the hard reset, since Nokia told me to try that, but this is taking forever.

How long does a hard reset take? I'm at 20 minutes now of gears spinning...

jreed3000

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
---edit---- = they updated it to just ##3282

I think I may have found a fix. Shut down your phone for a few minutes and remove the SIM card. Then turn your phone back on without the SIM card installed. Of course, you will see the SIM card error message, etc. Now, power off your phone, re-install the SIM and power back on. I got a pop-up message saying "Phone mode changed to GSM" (whatever that meant?) Now, I get the LTE symbol. I'll do some further testing to see if it reverts to 4G symbol when I am not in an LTE area. So, before you guys start doing hard resets, stay tuned.

Last edited:

SpicyKB

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Holy... IT WORKED. And my LTE's fixed! It's a Christmas miracle!

Fuzzy John

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Yes, using Care Suite fix to reflash.

This makes me so pissed at Nokia, they removed the feature in the firmware, AT&T might have made them they didn't say.

While I do not know about the Lumia 920, other phones I had, the international versions had controls in network settings to enable/disable 3G or 4G while the AT&T versions lacked those controls.

SofaTester

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Well the flash won't work, I now have a bricked 920.

I'm guessing the updates today are to blame, but regardless, that trick doesn't work, and I'm screwed. Awesome.

RonnieJP

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

OK, I confirmed that it does switch automatically from "LTE" to "4G" (an vice-versa) when I go in an out of an LTE-enabled area here in Los Angeles. So, it looks like it will at least get the phone back to default "automatic" network detection. I'm glad that this trick worked for some of you who tried it. Sorry about those of you who were told to do a hard reset or had to re-flash their phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb