920 keeps shutting down.

Hypetrak

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had any issues till yesterday where my 920 shut down twice. I uninstalled everything that I downloaded recently the past few days to make sure those weren't causing the issue. However just now I tried to use my phone, and it was shut down again. I have to do a soft reset every time to get it back up and working. I'm curious of anyone else is having this issue or if I have a glitchy phone that I should replace.

agbva

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
My AT&T 920 does the same thing. Seems to only happen when I'm away from the phone for a few hours, and you need to do a soft reset (power and volume down buttons) to get it to restart. Not a deal breaker, but a pain.

Hypetrak

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
My AT&T 920 does the same thing. Seems to only happen when I'm away from the phone for a few hours, and you need to do a soft reset (power and volume down buttons) to get it to restart. Not a deal breaker, but a pain.

It was a real pain for me because I use my phone as my alarm clock, and it has shut down a few times where I have almost missed my morning classes. However I had a free exchange through Nokia and it has been working flawlessly.

Andreas Zduba

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
It keeps shutting down once a day and sometimes it also rebootes. Is it an issue in WP8? will there be any fix from Microsoft or Nokia? Does anybody know anything, because it drives me crazy a bit :-D

daZza_GER

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Got the same... Did any of you exchange phones and fixed the issue that way? I'm asking myself whether I should exchange or wait for a software update... Not sure if this stuff is caused by SW or HW issues.

melloyello920

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
My 920 was shutting down by itself after the recent OS update as well. I performed a factory reset yesterday, and it has been normal so far. However, I no longer have the additional options under "display+touch" settings for auto sunlight and brightness setting during low battery after the reset. At least the phone is working as it should again.

Just a warning, the factory reset took almost 2 hours to complete. I was worried that it was bricked when it was stuck on the screen with the gears, but it booted normal after about 2 hours. So be patient and also recommend have a fully charged battery before factory reset.

ton_pkt

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
My 1st LM920 did the same as all of you.
It randomly shut itself down 3-4 times a day.

What I noticed is, my 1st LM is quite too warm after surfing the web for 5-10 minutes. it also getting warmer when I charge it with either cable or charging plate.
(It's idle state also warm without any reason).

I decided to exchange it, and I never face those issues since then.

I would say, if your device facing the random shutdown issue, and the device feeling an uncomfortable warm, I would suggest to exchange it if you can.
I'm sure that it's not only the OS or Software issue.

ton_pkt

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
My 920 was shutting down by itself after the recent OS update as well. I performed a factory reset yesterday, and it has been normal so far. However, I no longer have the additional options under "display+touch" settings for auto sunlight and brightness setting during low battery after the reset. At least the phone is working as it should again.

Just a warning, the factory reset took almost 2 hours to complete. I was worried that it was bricked when it was stuck on the screen with the gears, but it booted normal after about 2 hours. So be patient and also recommend have a fully charged battery before factory reset.

You need to update the "display+touch" again to get those setting back.
The factory reset delete those update away.

Another thing is, the factory reset shouldn't take that much time.
Don't get me wrong, I do believe you.

But, from my experience (and some other members), the factory reset take only 5-10 minutes to complete. (maximum 15 minutes).
I assume that you may have lot of application, photos & music in your device.

Anyway, that you patient enough to wait for 2 hours, otherwise, you may brick your phone if you interrupt the reset process. :wink:

AlexRodriguezNY

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Exactly the same problem here. It happens when not in use for a few hours.Then soft reset to power on.It's annoying because if someone call and it's important you miss that call. I hard reset it but it continue with the problem so I flashed it this morning with Nokia Suite Care

Expat64

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
I have seen this problem once, one friend a couple of times, and a third repeatedly. As noted above, it seems to be largely when unattended, often overnight, which has, again, been pointed out, is a real pain in the posterior! It started after Portico. I would rather avoid doing a factory reset if possible just because of the inconvenience as much as anything, but if that is shown to solve the problem, I'm game. I would like to see something from MSFT / Nokia on the subject though. Does anybody know if this problem is unique to the 920?

allos autos

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I've been having the same issue. On a hunch, I did a little bit of an experiment and compared the phone's behaviour with the WiFi off. Lo and behold, the phone went several days without needing a soft reset. Turned the WiFi back on and within a few hours it needed a factory reset.

Sanjay Tummala

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I have same issue.. This is the second nokia lumia 920, I returned the 1st one with same issue..since my 14 days for hand set replacement is done i have no choice but to accept the refurbish one that at&t offers me..very stressful ..so Im deciding to get refurbish android phone in exchange of this lumia 920 :( I will take my chances with refurbish android phone dammit. JUST EXCHANGE IT

tommy2050

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
I bought my Lumia 920 on release day (Nov 29) and have had random reboots several times a day. The phone even shut down for no apparent reason. I read somewhere that the sim card could be the cause. My sim card was already 2-3 years old, so I decided to get a new one.

It's been two days since i changed my sim for a brand new, and the phone has not restarted or shut down at all. I'm very pleased now as this was the only thing that has bothered me with this phone.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Okay so I'm not the only one with this issue. I believe this has something to do with Portico. Before this update my phone only locked up once and that was when I first got it. After the update, it has randomly shut off three times, which like one poster said above when you leave the phone unattended for awhile. It's kind of an inconvenience because you think your not receiving calls or texts and then you find out "Oh" the phone is off. Then you have to do the soft reset. I would do a factory reset but I'm hesitant. There seems to be no other options or culprits?

philharmonik

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
My l920 is doing the same thing. I thought I had it narrowed down to the Bluetooth but it still does it when I turn it off. Debating whether or not to take it to the att store and try to get a replacement or wait for another fix. I've already updated with the portico update but the unit still turns itself off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3