Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Hi I have come from the android world. I like the look of WP8 so 3 days ago upgraded to a 920. Couple of basic questions if I may. Firstly I notice when I use the power button, it seems that the wireless is logging on. Does that mean when the phone is on standby, the phone is using 3g to check for emails while asleep or does it only check when waking up.
    Secondly does anyone know of a 3g meter app that can be used to check on internet usage. I used to use 3g watchdog.
    I do like the phone but find that even the basic apps are sadly missing.
    Thanks, Tony

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    1. Yes sadly the phone doesn't stay connected to WiFi when in standby, this is a bug and will no doubt be fixed in a future update. It will continue to update however just not over WiFi.

2. Windows Phone 8 introduced a new feature called data-sense which looks like a great way to track and limit your data usage over 3g/4g however this feature is currently only available for Verizon but will be coming to other networks likely in the coming months. As far as a third party app that will monitor usage I'm not currently aware of any, but a quick search in the store should provide you with that info. Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

As far as apps I have a feeling that we're going to be seeing a ton of growth over these next few months and hopefully by this time next year Windows Phone will have parity with Android and iOS.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColeHarris View Post
    1. Yes sadly the phone doesn't stay connected to WiFi when in standby, this is a bug and will no doubt be fixed in a future update. It will continue to update however just not over WiFi.
    Sure it's a bug? Its in WP7 also and looks like it's supposed to save battery. However, I've read somewhere that this might see a change soon.

With regard to your 2nd query, you can try out the Nokia Counter app.
    It basic but very useful for tracking your 3G data usage.
    Sent from my Windows 8.1 Vivotab Smart Tablet PC ��

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilaj View Post
    Sure it's a bug? Its in WP7 also and looks like it's supposed to save battery. However, I've read somewhere that this might see a change soon.
    Thanked by:

Thanks for the replies. I am in the UK so guess some of you are having a late night. I hope you are right about a ton of new apps being released. This purchase was an act of faith that microsoft finally got it right. I will take a look at the Nokia counter app.
    Tony

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony French View Post
    This purchase was an act of faith that microsoft finally got it right. Tony
    Money and faith are two different things and should not be connected. Don't buy stuff because someone told you it will be good soon ;) If it would be legal, they would take all your money and enslave your children. MSFT is a company and that's just one level better than a pirate ;)
    I like WP, don't get me wrong. But you know, be realistic. Its your hard earned money you spend.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilaj View Post
    Money and faith are two different things and should not be connected.
    Tell that to organized religion's 😊

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombfetish View Post
    Tell that to organized religion's 😊
    Exactly my point :)