Can anyone actually believe this ????? EE/P4U/N920 debacle

flashmaster591

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Ok all here is my story.

WP7 user since launch in 2010

Pre ordered a N920 4G from EE in white based on the fact they said I could have it for ?50 on a 12 month contract @ ?51 per month = total year cost ?662 (not bad)

Waited and waited and no stock - then they put the price up to ?200 claiming they got the 12 month contract price wrong (Not happy so cancelled pre order)

Went to P4U who said they could do the N920 4G on EE on 12 month plan for ?120 = total year cost ?732 (ok more than EE but at least they had one in stock)

Turned up to P4U the following day after reserving it and they unbelievably said the price had gone up that morning to ?200 !!!! - to be fair to the girl in the shop she did show me the update they had had that morning on their company intranet !

I wont sign up for 2 years so I just bought the last white N920 4G there and then for ?459 (not a bad price I thought)

My intention was to go to EE and get a 4G sim only plan which they had previously advertised for ?26 p/m for 1gb.
However when I went to get one I am told they had to pull their sim only plans at the last minute and they are expected anytime soon. - this is verified by numerous stories web articles.

Worse again EE have just sent me a DM on twitter stating the plans will be ready by Christmas !!!!!

So the bottom line is this - I now have a White N920 locked to EE (as white is exclusive to them) which I can not connect to the network potentially until Christmas and that is even if I believe them !!!

Has anyone got any ideas ? I was thinking of going to EE and taking out a 12 month contract with any phone. Putting the SIM card in the N920 and selling the phone I get on Ebay. No doubt this will end up costing me more overall but cant think of anything else !

Totally unbelievable situation !

xbilly

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
My story is similar to yours. Ended up getting black 920 on PAYG ?399 deal with free charging plate and WESC headphones then transferring my current Orange ?10 a month contract to the phone.

When 4G prices come down to a more sensible level with market competition, will upgrade, hopefully on a SIM only month to month contract.

anon(5352752)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My story is similar to yours. Ended up getting black 920 on PAYG ?399 deal with free charging plate and WESC headphones then transferring my current Orange ?10 a month contract to the phone.

When 4G prices come down to a more sensible level with market competition, will upgrade, hopefully on a SIM only month to month contract.

I got this deal too. White wireless charger (no black ones), black WESC headphones and Black Lumia :)..

XBilly...If you want a REALLY good sim only contract, go Virgin Mobile on their ?17 a month one. 1200 mins, unlimited texts and internet..Tethering supported too..Cheaper than Three at ?25 and you don't need to unlock the phone either as Virgin Mobile goes off T-Mobiles backhaul which is EE :)

Brent920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Ok all here is my story.

So the bottom line is this - I now have a White N920 locked to EE (as white is exclusive to them) which I can not connect to the network potentially until Christmas and that is even if I believe them !!!

Your phone will also work on t-mobile and orange.

I'm not interested in 4G .... too expensive and I get 6 meg on t-mobile 3G.

tempjbrur.png

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Feeling your pain there. I find it depressing that the press and billboards are full of white EE Lumia 920's but can you buy one in ANY EE store? No. Can they tell you when it'll arrive? No. Its a pathetic situation by all parties. I decided against a white one this morning via P4U locally as I noticed a curious knocking from the handset... akin to the reports of some loose battery housings in the 920. starting to wonder if P4U have a batch across the UK that are having problems... There is alot of bad press out there for the P4U lumia situation. Im holding out for a white EE one and dealing directly with EE instore....

flashmaster591

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Those PAYG deals sound very good but i am not sure if tmo / virgin sims work in the white 920 as white is EE exclusive.
Ive already tried an orange sim and it doesn't work.

My 920 hardware is 100% perfect it is such a nice device. I just wish i could connect it to a network

The saga continues.

Went to EE and took out a GS3 4g Lte version as i can sell it on ebay for approx ?350. So my year 1 cost is about the same.

Left the shop and was getting a sim error in both the N920 & GS3.

Took it back to be told the sim card phone number was reserved so i needed a new sim.

Left the shop with a new sim and guess what ??? Still not working in either phone !!!

EE clearly don't know their a#se from their elbow at moment.

Not sure what my advice is after this experience - but i am off to EE tomorrow again but this time in not leaving without a connected phone !!!!!!

dlusted

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Here's my saga....

Purchased the 920 from P4U on the 7th on EE ?41/month 1GB (not heavy user of Mobile data due to WiFi) and paid ?50 for my Lumia...
Only preordered with P4U as I got that Nokia NFC Speaker free which retails at ?120 on eBay! Plus the free wireless charger offer....

Phone arrived the 10th BUT to this day I still can't use the phone.... Why you're probably asking?!?

Well, P4U did a massive ****-up and put me on a TMo Fully Monty plan.... Which would have been great IF I had received a TMo SIM... But I got an EE SIM, so I couldn't use it....

As of Friday just gone, I'm still waiting for P4U and EE to sort this fiasco out.... They've cancelled my original plan (which they ****ed up) and now have to wait for a new SIM to get on to the EE network... But then have to wait 48hrs once I've received the SIM for the account to be activated!

All fun and games on this front, can't wait to see what they're gonna offer in compensation (or a "gesture of good will" as they phrased it)

But, have toyed with the cam, its features on my WiFi and I find the phone's worth the wait :D

luckylifo

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I decided that I can't take this **** anymore. So I am just going to wait until the end of December, after which Lumia won't be exclusive to a bunch of idiots.

flashmaster591

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
P4U have a terrible reputation. I also considered getting a contract with them for the 360 speaker but "apparently" i wasn't in the first 500.

If the N920 wasn't so nice i would have given this up a long time ago and im a WP enthusiast.

It is clear that someone somewhere has f**ked up big time.

It might be Nokias supply issues.
It might be EE as they have rushed to be first in 4g market.
It might be P4U (for just being typical P4U)

Or most likely a combination of all three.

And they wonder why WP market share sucks ???????

I often wonder if the top bods at MS and Nokia (such as Belfour & co) know about this stuff ?

I think both companies are so big the communication sucks so the top bosses know nothing of these issues !!!

dtiapril

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I was wary of P4U but spontaneously went into their store and asked about the 920 and it couldn't have gone more smoothly.

I wanted a yellow one which they had in stock, on exactly the tariff I had in mind, sim installed there and then. I was connected and out of the store with my new phone within 20 minutes.

hovesteve

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
My EE/N920 experience. Got in there early, preordered white one on the 30th Oct. Received an email from them saying they needed more info. (I am a Orange user upgrading). Spoke to EE next day, they didnt have me on their systems yet and I had to talk to Orange.

Rang Orange, they werent really sure why I was calling them and that it was an EE issue.

Rang EE the next day, said they were having trouble migrating Orange users to EE, and they would contact me again.

Week later I tweeted them, EE rang back the next day. Told me they had an intermittant fault with migrating Orange customers to their systems. They would get back to me!

Week later, just had a DM on twitter from EE, saying the supply situation with the N920 would be clearer on Monday (19/11). I'm starting to loose the will to live with them. I would be amazed if I get to see my new N920 this side of Christmas!1

flashmaster591

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I was wary of P4U but spontaneously went into their store and asked about the 920 and it couldn't have gone more smoothly.

I wanted a yellow one which they had in stock, on exactly the tariff I had in mind, sim installed there and then. I was connected and out of the store with my new phone within 20 minutes.

Jealous !! Ha ha.
Good on you though. Im sure there are others who have had a good experience too.

flashmaster591

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm starting to loose the will to live with them. I would be amazed if I get to see my new N920 this side of Christmas!1

You and others ! I will not leave the EE shop tomorrow without an active connection.
I will post back and let you know if i get one.

Anyone would think EE dont want any customers and this 4g thing is a figment of our imaginations !!!!

Owen Stevens

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Thought I'd share my experience.

I was going to wait for the grey to be released but after playing with one, couldn't resist so called all my local stores to find a 920 in stock.

eventually found a black in P4U for ?459 and decided to go ahead.

on. My way to p4u I came across an ee store, remembering he ?399 + charger + headphones deal I popped in.

to cut a long story short, he had the phone but no sim cars, and said he'd sell me the phone and I hold pop in to the other ee store across town to pick up a ism for ?10
oh and he didn't know anything about a free charger.

either way ?399 was the best price, so I took my phone and headphones to the other store, only to find out that they didn't have any Sims ether.
I tried earphone warehouse, p4u, nowhere has pay and go ee Sims.

im a little disappointed at the lack of free wireless charger, can anyone confirm the details of this offer, are there any t&c's or a link to it in writing?
!I may nip in to the ee store next to my office tomorrow and ask them what their opinion is and if they Ave an knowledge of the deal.
I still have my receipt showing no charger, maybe I could get them to give me one instead? Anyone else had problems getting their free charger?

flashmaster591

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
im a little disappointed at the lack of free wireless charger, can anyone confirm the details of this offer, are there any t&c's or a link to it in writing?
?

Wow another story of EE incompetence!!

Owen - i bought the p4U for ?459 and i have to request my charger from Nokia. There is a promotion sticker with a unique code on the side with a nokia web address.

That said my mate bought an 820 on O2 and he was given his charger there and then.

So i think it is a nokia promotion but it must be up to the retailers to decide how they distribute it.

I would keep on top of EE if i were you they seem like a total mess at the moment.
They are getting one un happy customer today that's for sure ! Ha ha

rushandy

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I had major problems getting my free charger... read about it here... http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/202777-2.htm. In the store I went to the EE rep didn't really have a clue.

For the original poster - I did what another poster said - Lumia 920 @EE (+ free charger + free headphones) on Orange PAYG ?399 (+ ?10 top up on sim). Virgin Sim only month on month contract for ?12 or something w/unlimited internet. Done.

anon(5352752)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Those PAYG deals sound very good but i am not sure if tmo / virgin sims work in the white 920 as white is EE exclusive.
Ive already tried an orange sim and it doesn't work.

My 920 hardware is 100% perfect it is such a nice device. I just wish i could connect it to a network

The saga continues.

Went to EE and took out a GS3 4g Lte version as i can sell it on ebay for approx ?350. So my year 1 cost is about the same.

Left the shop and was getting a sim error in both the N920 & GS3.

Took it back to be told the sim card phone number was reserved so i needed a new sim.

Left the shop with a new sim and guess what ??? Still not working in either phone !!!

EE clearly don't know their a#se from their elbow at moment.

Not sure what my advice is after this experience - but i am off to EE tomorrow again but this time in not leaving without a connected phone !!!!!!

Well I did an experiment over the weekend. I bought mine from an EE store so I went and ordered a load of sims which I know go off T-Mobile/Orange/EE just to see if they work.

T-Mobile - Works Fine
Orange UK - Works Fine
Chitter Chatter - Works Fine
Virgin Mobile - Works Fine

My EE/N920 experience. Got in there early, preordered white one on the 30th Oct. Received an email from them saying they needed more info. (I am a Orange user upgrading). Spoke to EE next day, they didnt have me on their systems yet and I had to talk to Orange.

Rang Orange, they werent really sure why I was calling them and that it was an EE issue.

Rang EE the next day, said they were having trouble migrating Orange users to EE, and they would contact me again.

Week later I tweeted them, EE rang back the next day. Told me they had an intermittant fault with migrating Orange customers to their systems. They would get back to me!

Week later, just had a DM on twitter from EE, saying the supply situation with the N920 would be clearer on Monday (19/11). I'm starting to loose the will to live with them. I would be amazed if I get to see my new N920 this side of Christmas!1

The migration issue with customers is because Orange use a system called CSS if I remember right and any customer migrating over to EE will be using T-Mobiles system (Excalibur)

I had major problems getting my free charger... read about it here... http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/202777-2.htm. In the store I went to the EE rep didn't really have a clue.

For the original poster - I did what another poster said - Lumia 920 @EE (+ free charger + free headphones) on Orange PAYG ?399 (+ ?10 top up on sim). Virgin Sim only month on month contract for ?12 or something w/unlimited internet. Done.

:D
It's the best way.

Considering Virgin Mobile allow tethering too, can't really go wrong with it!.

Boggy79

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
My EE/N920 experience. Got in there early, preordered white one on the 30th Oct. .....1

You're not the only one with this issue. I too pre-ordered early on the 30th and I've been told 2 different dates for stock from EE and now I've been told to wait for further info....

Irrespective of any possible stock issues on nokia's part, the lack of information from EE has been woeful. Fed up with always chasing them for info.

Time to do what us English are good at, a stiffly-worded letter ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills