Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I think OP can handle the weight, but the bulk was just too much.

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    That's too bad. The weight thing is really over rated, especially since early reviews made such a big deal out of it. But at least you're not trying to force the phone on yourself. What about the Samsung Ativ? That might suit you better when it's released.
    I believe the Samsung ATIV S is larger than the Lumia 920?

Also, to the OP, the size of the phone is due to the built-in features of the Lumia 920. Wireless charging, the floating-lense camera, large battery, etc. It's the things people like about the Lumia 920 that make it the size it is.

Global Posts
    3,533 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    That is too bad. Seems like a small thing to most owners, but is obviously a deal killer to others. I am sure Nokia is prepping second generation WP8's. Hope one is the right one for you.
    A closed mouth gathers no feet.
    The weight thing is highly overrated , I own a Nokia N9 and sure its not lighter than the iphone 4 or 5 but it sure as **** took a damn good beating and is still going strong. The build quality of the Lumia 920 is a direct descendant of the prototype N9. Without a doubt the Lumia 920 will definitely take much more of a beating and still survive longer than any other smartphone on the market. I am that confident.

No other will be able to come close, not Samsung, not apple. And personally I will go with substance over style 10 times out of 10. I have seen a fair share and iphones and Samsung phones get smashed from various incidents hence the reason you see people walking around with obnoxious and bulky looking otterbox cases on their phones. With the Lumia 920 theres no need for a case, my Nokia N9 is testament to that. My Nokia N9 has fallen off a height of 5 stories , it slid down a hilly road in Jamaica , it got buried in the sand at the beach and it even fell in the pool and you know what it still works. I guess I am very biased when it comes to nokia phones as I have owned no fewer than the previous 15 models they have produced but I think I have every right to be because the build quality of a nokia is no joke trust me. :lol:

I actually like the weight, feels durable and solid.

Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FLLMTR View Post
    The weight is not really a bother to me. I am curious though as to what kind of metal is in these suckers. I keep checking Youtube daily frequently to see if someone posts a disassembly video.
    It's not a video, but mynokiablog posted some pictures of the insides of the 920 in this post.

Global Posts
    910 Global Posts
    Lots of good comments in here.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    My daughter has a 4S and that is even to big for her. If she does not have her purse and tries to put it in her pocket it sticks out. I believe Nokia and other manufactures should give more options. I would never have upgraded to an 820 from my Focus. The reason I do not go with the Iphone is because lack of choice and lack of standards. Windows Phone does not have as much choice as Android, but at least it is more than the Iphone.

However, I like the size of the 920, and so does my mother in law. She has problems with the small phones. With the ease of access options on WP8, it makes it very nice for people who have problems with the small icons and text

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    I got a GS3 a couple of days ago, is better than my Optimus in everyway, yet I'm posting this from it. The Os are so different is taking a lot to get used to.

Got my 920 on a Friday & took it with me for a week of business travel this past week- great opportunity to put it through its paces with everything I need to use it for regularly.

Monday AM, I arrive at the airport with the web page showing my boarding pass loaded, ready to go. Phone went to sleep while walking to terminal- yet didn't wake. Now I have an unresponsive phone so have to find a kiosk & print boarding pass. Looked online once arrived at airport lounge, figured out how to successfully reset...relieved it didn't brick.

Lots of time on email, downloading apps, etc. battery life not great, but not too concerned figuring there are settings I can probably change- likely had lots of things still running in background, etc. having to download email images separately initially just a nuisance, but became intolerable after a few days- esp. Considering the little boxes to click on for images only worked occasionally.

As trips progress, hotel, car receipts come in via email- forward to expense system, as always...except now I'm getting error messages from the system, saying the attachment is in an incorrect format. Receipts are in PDF format, investigate to find that emails send from Exchange are actually sent as attachments themselves, and expense system can't work with the .eml format. Also start getting notes from others within the company- "something strange happening with your emails- you should call IT or something". Upon further investigation, learn this only happens with Exchange- Gmail, iCloud, Hotmail all operate without issue. Work email......not so much.

Pick up boss for meetings, show off new phone. His contract up as well & was waiting to see mine before making his final decision. Bring up Nokia Drive with intent to show off further & phone goes dark....at least now I know how to reset.

More conversations with coworkers, all of whom seem to have the same issues with emails sent from my phone. Boss informs me he's seen enough & ordered i5. Starting to consider exchanging for i5 myself as I fly home.

On conference call in the car as I return home from the airport- had to drop & dial back in because at one point i lost the call, even though the phone says i was connected & had 4 bars. Get a call from my wife after I rejoin the conf call, but before I can either answer her call or send it to voicemail, phone freezes again....and disconnects me from the conf call. Now I have to reset the phone again, dial into the conf call again (several comments now about the phone from others on the call)....decision has been made.

That evening, phone went back to AT&T (along with the wireless charger that I hadn't even opened yet) & switched back to IOS. Reset the phone to factory settings following the instructions online- while resetting, phone shows an image of gears turning on the screen, indicating it's working....stayed like that for 30+ minutes as I dropped my son at soccer practice & found the nearest AT&T store. Sales Rep finally tried resetting the phone...got as far as the Nokia screen & stayed there while we completed paperwork for the exchange...at least another 15 min.

Size & weight were not an issue here- certainly bigger & heavier than the i5 I now have, but that was not a factor in switching. Lots of little things that added up.

Lots of things to like about WP8 & I'll continue to watch from the sidelines to see what improvements are made. Hopefully when I'm in a position to change again there will be ample reason to give it another shot.
    aubreyq likes this.

Thanks for your sharing your experience with the phone. I haven't used it as extensively as you but I already know I can't use it as my daily driver and returning it tomorrow. I'm going to sit and wait until things improve before trying again.

I've always been a 'small phone' person. Being a woman who carries a really small purse it has been a very important point for me. In fact my Veer was my favorite phone. So after researching the new phones (my Veer died) I was hesitant to get the 920 and actually waited until I could get a hand's-on experience. I can say that the weight nor the over-all size has been an issue and I really thought it would be,

But I can certainly see how it's just too big for some folks. It's a trade-off, size/weight vs. all the goodies. I expect as the years go by the tech will continue to allow for lighter phones. Since I use my phone mostly for phone calls and text messages I would love a phone that was basically just an ear piece that I connect to my PC to load my contacts and utilizes voice commands to dial, answer, and send texts. I don't expect it but I would be the first in line. Until then I'm quite happy with my 920, much to my surprise.
    aubreyq likes this.

Global Posts
    675 Global Posts
    Don't most people buy phone cases? So how is it bulky?

Global Posts
    1,444 Global Posts
    Do you even lift bro?
    aubreyq and ajj3085 like this.

Global Posts
    675 Global Posts
    Sounds like some of you needed convertible tablets or a galaxy note. But yes if your looking for a replacement for your "old" phone its going to be tough. The OS just turned 2 years old last week so it'll take time. I remember when the Iphone & Android first started out (IPhone & T-Mobile G1) man they were pretty wack.

Global Posts
    1,136 Global Posts
    I was contemplating picking one up for $449 to play with and sim swap between my Note 2, but damn now I don't know.

Global Posts
    2,511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkp23 View Post
    Do you even lift bro?
    lol. I was just going to post this. You beat me to it..

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewayz8 View Post
    Sounds like some of you needed convertible tablets or a galaxy note. But yes if your looking for a replacement for your "old" phone its going to be tough. The OS just turned 2 years old last week so it'll take time. I remember when the Iphone & Android first started out (IPhone & T-Mobile G1) man they were pretty wack.
    I'm not sure why you feel you have to defend why people are not having good battery life with the phone. Yes iPhone and Android had bad battery issues when they first started but they've improved drastically and Nokia and Microsoft have access to the same technology.
    I think most people when they buy a premium phone expect to it to have decent battery life and we just can't excuse it just because the OS is two years old. It just proves that they have to try a little harder to make sure when normal customers buy it they won't run into the same issue that us hardcore users have.
    aubreyq likes this.

Why are some of you going on about weight when he said it wasn't the weight??
    I am sticking with mine, but must admit, the phone is large and unless you have bigger hands, its not an easy phone to use one handed. The other smart phones I've had, I could do most things, except games and the lime obviously, with one hand. With the 920, its just too large for some to use comfortably with one hand.

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I know this has been said a thousand times, but I <3 the weight, coming from iphone4/galaxy note which felt TOO LIGHT!

Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    I know it is a matter of personal preference but I have not seen a phone that is too big. I use a headset most of the time so I don't usually hold a phone to my ear. If the Kindle Fire was also a phone I would buy it.

Global Posts
    675 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razdek View Post
    I'm not sure why you feel you have to defend why people are not having good battery life with the phone. Yes iPhone and Android had bad battery issues when they first started but they've improved drastically and Nokia and Microsoft have access to the same technology.
    I think most people when they buy a premium phone expect to it to have decent battery life and we just can't excuse it just because the OS is two years old. It just proves that they have to try a little harder to make sure when normal customers buy it they won't run into the same issue that us hardcore users have.
    I'm sorry but my response was about those who felt that their was a lack of apps and/or felt that the OS was not ready yet for mass consumption. I mentioned the Iphone and the G1 as when they first came out they didn't have all the necessary functions. Heck if I remember correctly the Iphone didn't have MMS at first and copy and paste.

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aced411 View Post
    I knew what to expect with WP8. I knew it would be a little light on the apps, and I knew most websites would look ghetto in IE b/c it's not a WebKit browser. Regardless I love the fast and slick UI. As far as the Lumia:

• Stunning display. Best I've ever used
    • amazing build quality
    • The Nokia apps were slick
    • auto brightness was extremely smooth (something most phones besides iPhone lack)
    • Low light pics were awesome

So why did it go back? It's simply too bulky. I can handle the weight but it is thick and large....overall it's just too big for me. It is a major shame the 820 has crappy screen resolution (by today's standards). Side by side the 820 screen was a far cry from the 920. So my only option left was the 8X. No way am I cool with purple or yellow, and there isn't enough space.

Why Nokia couldn't you give me a thinner slightly smaller phone with a screen like the 920? It was hard to return it. I actually left and returned to the store a few times, changing my mind every time I looked at that amazing display. Finally it went back, and now im back to the iPhone 4S. Patiently waiting for a windows phone that better suits me, hopefully by Nokia.
    I'm sorry, the ***** section is at the Apple store.

I can understand if the size is too big for some people.

I will say this about the 820 though. When I saw the screen in person, it was beautiful. Sure, the resolution isn't as high, but dang, it looked really really really nice. Especially in motion.

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    I'm debating returning my 920 and returning to the joy of using my Samsung Focus with Zune. My Focus is pretty beat up, drops calls due to a bad proximity sensor and the battery and camera kind of suck but it at least syncs wirelessly and painlessly with my PC. I might wait out this round of WP8 devices until Microsoft figures out how to get this syncing situation fixed on Windows 8 and WP8, by then maybe there'll be a new Nokia that kicks the crap out of the 920.

We'll see. I'll probably wait it out until the end of the 30 days just in case MS or Nokia announces a big update with major fixes. Right now my phone is an unnecessary headache.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast