Rattle sound in the 920?

jbs4life97

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
When I shake my 920 there is something moving inside. Idk if it's a battery etc. but does anyone else hear something rattling when they shake their 920?

evilpinkeye

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It's most likely the vibrator's spinning weight that it spins around to create the vibration. Nokia slacked in this department..with every text another nasty rattle -_-

weetigo

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
No, I shake it and it doesn't sound like there's anything loose inside. Using batch 1 Rogers device: Nokia 920.3 RM - 820 Rogers CA Black

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure if I am just less picky, or if my device doesn't have this issue. I do feel the vibration motor spinning in there, but have felt that on, well, most of my previous phones too, so it doesn't feel any different, although maybe a little... heavier? Certainly doesn't give me the feeling like there is something in there wobbling around that shouldn't be. I returned my phone for unrelated reasons, and will have to wait until tomorrow to get it replaced and I will be able to pass judgement on a second device.

curdog

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
So I'm not the only one. I've heard people complaining about noise when on vibrate mode, but mine sounds/vibrates normally. When I shake mine side-to-side (even lightly), however, it feels like something large/heavy, maybe the battery, is hitting the insides of the phone. The other 920s at the store were barely noticeable. Worried that something will eventually come completely loose or get damaged.

jbs4life97

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So I'm not the only one. I've heard people complaining about noise when on vibrate mode, but mine sounds/vibrates normally. When I shake mine side-to-side (even lightly), however, it feels like something large/heavy, maybe the battery, is hitting the insides of the phone. The other 920s at the store were barely noticeable. Worried that something will eventually come completely loose or get damaged.

This is what I hear as well, but I have to shake the phone back and fourth somewhat fast. Like a "clunk" sound - a battery hitting the side of the case or something. I might just be paranoid with all this complaining going on and it could be the vibrator inside the phone - but then again I don't think there should be something "loose" inside my phone.

orionll

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Me as well. Only happens when you shake the device left/right, but not any other direction. I've also noticed a slight creak/click/give when squeezing the device front/back just near the camera/flash LEDs. Squeezing it at this point while shaking it seems to prevent the rattling.

Also probably irrelevant, but my camera seems aligned slightly upper left of center. (See image below.)

HAbpm.jpg

curdog

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
...Squeezing it at this point while shaking it seems to prevent the rattling.

Just tried this & mine stops as well if I just lightly press near the Zeiss logo. A friend just got his 920, the rattling is very minor compared to mine, so something's not right.

s1krr

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Mine is doing the same thing. Just got it, haven't even charged it yet. My concern is that it might have something to do with the image stabilizer. Has anyone tried taking photos or shooting video while moving??? That could be a good test to eliminate on possible defect.

The ZennyBoy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I had the same theory as "s1krr". I initially thought it had something to do with the floating camera lens (image stabilizer). As of today though, it seems to have gotten worse. It used to feel like the force of small internal component was bumping against the insides when I would turn the phone upside-down. Now it feels like a much heavier force from a larger object like the battery. Idk really, but I DO NOT see this being harmless in the long run. I love my phone, but this scares me :'(

Godigiya

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Me as well. Only happens when you shake the device left/right, but not any other direction. I've also noticed a slight creak/click/give when squeezing the device front/back just near the camera/flash LEDs. Squeezing it at this point while shaking it seems to prevent the rattling.

Also probably irrelevant, but my camera seems aligned slightly upper left of center. (See image below.)

http://i.imgur.com/HAbpm.jpg

Mine has the exact same problems, shake with my right hand from left to right, and I am wondering if I would drive to the care center to check it out, though it's pretty far. If this is a normal problem which is a bug of the phone, then I would not bother anymore since it's unsolvable just like iPhone 4 has the signal issue.

AeroSatan

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
The rattle noise is due to the suspended lens. Nokia image stabilization system has the lens connected to a spring that shifts to prevent motion blur and it will rattle if you shake the phone. Now you know.

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Mine has a heavy thud when I shake it, from the disassembly video I saw the only piece I think it would be is the battery shifting. There is the usual camera rattle noise, but also something else heavy enough to feel as it shifts.

stagad

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
What about when you click the back arrow on the phone panel (beside the Windows icon) and the rattling sound that makes? Is it normal? When I'm using the screen, it doesn't make this sound.

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
The battery definitely moves in my phone when I shake it. It makes a very heavy thud and when I press down on the polycarbonate where the battery is it doesn't do it anymore as I seem to be holding it in place. Anyone think it could become a problem?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte