Whats up with "live" tiles??

Guitarpik

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
So I was really looking forward to these live tiles but they aren't working out like I expected at all.

The weather channel tile only shows the correct temperature after I open the weather channel app.
The ESPN tile changed once, showing me the score in the 2nd quarter of the Dolphins/Bills game, which it continued to do for 2 days until I reinstalled the app. Hasn't showed anything since.
The twitter tile only shows my last mention. Hasn't changed in 2 days. Why not show the latest tweets in my feed??
The facebook tile doesn't show anything.

What's up with this?

Vheissu

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure that you are not the only one having these problems, I don't really have a lot of apps the utilize the live tile except for notification numbers like the WPCentral app that updates with the number of unread stories. Perhaps it is the apps causing the problem try a different twitter app maybe it will work better.

humdinger

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Live tiles have been iffy for me, too. I'm not sure if it's something to do with the background tasks stuff--I never had to deal with that with my Lumia 900.

My weather channel was working fine for the first day or so that I had it (the tile itself was the smallest size). Then it suddenly stopped displaying the temperature and just showed the logo. If I changed the tile size to medium or large, it worked fine, but I don't want the weather taking up that much space. I switched to the Accuweather.com app and that has been working fine.

ESPN has been finicky since day 1--even on WP 7.5. I'm hoping there'll be fixes to it since the live tile support was only added very recently by Nokia, when they revamped the app.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Probably better off in the main WP8 OS forum, but in my opinion live tiles are completely broken.

Most of them update sporadically. I'm not sure if it's an OS issue or an app issue. I use the battery level meter tile, weather.com, and ESPN Score Center. Yesterday during a game the Score Center tile updated a total of two times and didn't even show a final score, it showed a score from the 3rd quarter...

The battery level one will update if I go into the settings, and go back out to the home screen, same goes for weather.com.

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Also having trouble with various live tiles not updating. The ESPN live tile has always been a little flaky, and that continues with WP8. The Facebook lockscreen doesn't seem to update properly either. We'll need to wait on updates from the devs.

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Make sure that the apps aren't blocked from running in the background in the settings.

Here are the live apps I use:

-Amazing Weather: Great live tile. Shows current temp based on location, and also shows me the forecast for the next 2 days.

-Nextgen Reader: Shows me how many articles are unread every hour. It can also show excerpts but I disabled that.

-Bill Organizer: Shows me how many bills are due today

-CNN: One headline and a pic. It updates quite often.

jjmc2001

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I had the exact same issue with the ESPN live tile. Showed a half time score for three days. Re-installed the app and now it just sits there until I open it. I have been through everything I can try and can't get it to do anything.

Seismo

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Same here. The Weather Channel tile is a little tough to figure out. It shows an arbitrary temp but then flips over to show the forecast but the forecast is for two days ahead, not the next day... I mean, if today is saturday, wouldn't you be more interested in sunday's weather than monday's?

The Flixster live tile has been showing a still of Life of Pi (I think) since installing it a few days ago. It would be nice to see it cycle through all current/near-future movie releases.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I've found accuweather works better than weather channel. Seems to update more regularly. You just don't have the radar reverse on the tile.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
It's not just the 920. I have the 822 and am having trouble with updates. It seems to be an issue with WP8 as live tiles worked good on 7.5. Hopefullly they can figure it out soon.

kantFTW

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
So I was really looking forward to these live tiles but they aren't working out like I expected at all.

The weather channel tile only shows the correct temperature after I open the weather channel app.
The ESPN tile changed once, showing me the score in the 2nd quarter of the Dolphins/Bills game, which it continued to do for 2 days until I reinstalled the app. Hasn't showed anything since.
The twitter tile only shows my last mention. Hasn't changed in 2 days. Why not show the latest tweets in my feed??
The facebook tile doesn't show anything.

What's up with this?

If notifications and background tasks are allowed, the Facebook app will show replies or notifications in a circled number in red on the tile. Personally, I much prefer the built-in FB/Twitter integration in WP8. If you pin yourself to your home screen, the tile will show not just the number of FB/Twitter notifications on the top right of your picture, but also will flip and show your latest status update.

I've never used the ESPN one, so not sure there.

As per Weather, which phone do you have? I used to use Weather Live and it was fantastic, but it doesn't seem to work on WP8.

pjeung

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
espn app definitely has issues. I ended up taking the live tile updates off, and i'm not even getting any notifications either from espn. But my other live tiles work great, us today/accu weather, weave, facebook, and a few others.

rednax_de

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problems with some live tiles - basically the calendar is the the only live tile that updates in time.

Sometimes apps update after opening...sometimes the live tile doesn't do/show anything.

Should the WPC live tile show something (mid size)?
Should the Facebook live tile show something (mid size)?

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Live tiles will update, at most, every 30 minutes. If you are looking at your tiles, particularly in the morning when the sun is coming up, or the evening when it is dipping, you are likely to see a different temp (slightly) when you load the app versus when you are looking at the tile (unless the tile just refreshed). This is an active choice by MS so as to not allow tiles to decimate your battery.

That said, there may be an issue with live tiles. There certainly are quite a few threads and posts about them. Or maybe there are a lot of people out there who just don't know how they work? I am not sure.

racerjim

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have this issue with the Weather Channel App. When I got the phone, it seemed to be updating correctly, and displaying the map on the other side. I did a hard reset of the phone, and after that, the live tile was not updating unless i opened the app. I noticed that there were two different versions of the WC app on the store, tried both, same effect. I also tried Accuweather, and it doesn't update the live tile either unless the app is opened. The other live tiles seem to work fine, e-mail, voice mail, text messges all update in basically real time. Hope a fix comes soon (or instructions on how to fix whatever it is I horked up....)

Ducke Ballmin

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes my Wassup app failes in my Lumia 710. Or, for example, when I open the Zune sometimes the wassup app opens itself instead of the Zune. Well, I think that windows 7.8 has not that much support any more.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss