- 11-19-2012, 12:40 AM #1
So I was really looking forward to these live tiles but they aren't working out like I expected at all.
The weather channel tile only shows the correct temperature after I open the weather channel app.
The ESPN tile changed once, showing me the score in the 2nd quarter of the Dolphins/Bills game, which it continued to do for 2 days until I reinstalled the app. Hasn't showed anything since.
The twitter tile only shows my last mention. Hasn't changed in 2 days. Why not show the latest tweets in my feed??
The facebook tile doesn't show anything.
What's up with this?
- 11-19-2012, 01:14 PM #3
I'm sure that you are not the only one having these problems, I don't really have a lot of apps the utilize the live tile except for notification numbers like the WPCentral app that updates with the number of unread stories. Perhaps it is the apps causing the problem try a different twitter app maybe it will work better.
11-19-2012, 01:46 PM #4
- 34 Posts
Live tiles have been iffy for me, too. I'm not sure if it's something to do with the background tasks stuff--I never had to deal with that with my Lumia 900.
My weather channel was working fine for the first day or so that I had it (the tile itself was the smallest size). Then it suddenly stopped displaying the temperature and just showed the logo. If I changed the tile size to medium or large, it worked fine, but I don't want the weather taking up that much space. I switched to the Accuweather.com app and that has been working fine.
ESPN has been finicky since day 1--even on WP 7.5. I'm hoping there'll be fixes to it since the live tile support was only added very recently by Nokia, when they revamped the app.
11-19-2012, 01:59 PM #6
- 306 Posts
Probably better off in the main WP8 OS forum, but in my opinion live tiles are completely broken.
Most of them update sporadically. I'm not sure if it's an OS issue or an app issue. I use the battery level meter tile, weather.com, and ESPN Score Center. Yesterday during a game the Score Center tile updated a total of two times and didn't even show a final score, it showed a score from the 3rd quarter...
The battery level one will update if I go into the settings, and go back out to the home screen, same goes for weather.com.
- 11-19-2012, 02:00 PM #7
Also having trouble with various live tiles not updating. The ESPN live tile has always been a little flaky, and that continues with WP8. The Facebook lockscreen doesn't seem to update properly either. We'll need to wait on updates from the devs.
Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk
- 11-19-2012, 02:01 PM #8
Make sure that the apps aren't blocked from running in the background in the settings.
Here are the live apps I use:
-Amazing Weather: Great live tile. Shows current temp based on location, and also shows me the forecast for the next 2 days.
-Nextgen Reader: Shows me how many articles are unread every hour. It can also show excerpts but I disabled that.
-Bill Organizer: Shows me how many bills are due today
-CNN: One headline and a pic. It updates quite often.
11-24-2012, 08:44 PM #10
- 19 Posts
Same here. The Weather Channel tile is a little tough to figure out. It shows an arbitrary temp but then flips over to show the forecast but the forecast is for two days ahead, not the next day... I mean, if today is saturday, wouldn't you be more interested in sunday's weather than monday's?
The Flixster live tile has been showing a still of Life of Pi (I think) since installing it a few days ago. It would be nice to see it cycle through all current/near-future movie releases.
- 11-24-2012, 09:15 PM #12
You should report the problem over at the Microsoft WP8 community forum. Windows Phone - Microsoft Community
I read over there that one of the moderators (Johan) has already escalated the issue with the ME tile not updating correctly as per this thread. Anyone else having problems with Me tile in Windows Phone 8? - Microsoft Community
- 11-24-2012, 09:44 PM #15
I've never used the ESPN one, so not sure there.
As per Weather, which phone do you have? I used to use Weather Live and it was fantastic, but it doesn't seem to work on WP8.
11-25-2012, 03:20 AM #17
- 15 Posts
I have the same problems with some live tiles - basically the calendar is the the only live tile that updates in time.
Sometimes apps update after opening...sometimes the live tile doesn't do/show anything.
Should the WPC live tile show something (mid size)?
Should the Facebook live tile show something (mid size)?
11-25-2012, 03:44 AM #18
- 656 Posts
Live tiles will update, at most, every 30 minutes. If you are looking at your tiles, particularly in the morning when the sun is coming up, or the evening when it is dipping, you are likely to see a different temp (slightly) when you load the app versus when you are looking at the tile (unless the tile just refreshed). This is an active choice by MS so as to not allow tiles to decimate your battery.
That said, there may be an issue with live tiles. There certainly are quite a few threads and posts about them. Or maybe there are a lot of people out there who just don't know how they work? I am not sure.
11-25-2012, 07:13 PM #19
- 44 Posts
I have this issue with the Weather Channel App. When I got the phone, it seemed to be updating correctly, and displaying the map on the other side. I did a hard reset of the phone, and after that, the live tile was not updating unless i opened the app. I noticed that there were two different versions of the WC app on the store, tried both, same effect. I also tried Accuweather, and it doesn't update the live tile either unless the app is opened. The other live tiles seem to work fine, e-mail, voice mail, text messges all update in basically real time. Hope a fix comes soon (or instructions on how to fix whatever it is I horked up....)
11-18-2013, 11:10 PM #21
- 44 Posts
This is fixed in GDR3 (which is not out yet but you can get it if you're a developer - search for info on how).
The problem happens with apps that use background agents (i.e. you can see them listed in Settings->Applications->Background tasks). A work around to fix it is to do the following:
- go through all the apps listed in the background tasks settings page and uninstall ones that you don't use at all. Even if they are not enabled. Just don't keep apps around that you don't use that have background agents.
- Now disable all the background agents you see in there but make sure to check the box that says "run them again when the app is run"
- Reboot your phone
- Go back and run every app that has a background agent so that they re-register their agent and enable it.
The problem should go away. It may come back again though :( If it does, repeat those steps. Or install GDR3.
11-19-2013, 12:39 PM #22
- 120 Posts
I had this problem for the longest time but finally able to fix it (twice), not sure what the exact cause was, but at least repeating these steps of actions the live tiles do work:
1) clear browser history in IE.
2) turn off all background apps from setting except for the ones that you really need (you can even turn those off too and choose "turn back on next time app is run").
3) now the tedious part. Apparently closing the background app in setting isn't enough to really turn them off. I imagine there's some bit of codes that just keeps on getting looped in the background. What you need to do now is to open every app you have, one by one, and change its settings so that no live tile is running, except of course for the few apps that you do want to have the live tiles. Most apps have "enable live tiles" on as default when you download it, so it's likely that many apps that you dont even use are "enabled". Some also turn live-tile on after an update. The end result is to leave no more than 15 apps with live-tile/background enabled, as 15 seems to be the upper limit. This whole process can take a while if you have lots of apps like me.
4) Now turn off your phone, wait a bit and turn it back on. Wait for about an hour (since livetiles update every 30 min) and check the tiles to see if they have updated. This worked for me twice, so I'm guessing it should work. Hope this helps.
Of course as some stated you could also try getting gdr3, I personally will wait for the official release (until i get annoyed by at&t again) so these steps are my solution.