Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

nothing seem to happen when I press the Volume down+ power I can feel the Vibration but nothing on the screen of my phone should it show you something? after i feel the vibration the phone is dead :(

Quote Originally Posted by Jhay Yap View Post
    nothing seem to happen when I press the Volume down+ power I can feel the Vibration but nothing on the screen of my phone should it show you something? after i feel the vibration the phone is dead :(
    It should restart after you press "Volume down" and "Power" buttons (until it reboot) .... and then click "Retry" (on computer display) to start flashing ... you have to click "Retry" button immediately after reboot of your phone ....
    mr2gud2u likes this.

Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    let go of the volume down plus power buttons after vibration, if not the phone will just keep on rebooting, also make sure you install the drivers from C:\Program Files (x86)\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Drivers
    Developer

I did it!
    I just debranded my H3G Lumia 920, thanks all for the tips! \m/
    English is not my mother tongue, so I may have some issues on grammar or spelling or some other stuff. If you notice any mistakes, feel free to correct me!
    Jaripi likes this.

You, my friend, are a genius. Thanks!!!

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jari P View Post
    it should be C:/ProgramData/Nokia/Packages/Products/rm-821 ... for international Lumia 920
    I also wonder what to do, there is no folder called "Packages", or "Program data" for that matter its called "Program Files" on my computer.

EDIT: Found it, as a mac user Im a bit lost.... (using parallel desktop)

EDIT2: This was great, thanks!
    Last edited by Nisse Tuta; 02-16-2013 at 08:14 AM.

Can I ask you how did you reinstall the VC++ Redist 2005?
    I'm having the same problem you had.

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I tried and tried to fix my Daughters Nokia Lumia 920 but couldn't get passed the Lightening Bolt and Cog wheel... I finally took it back to Best Buy and they sent it out gave us a crappy android loaner... Luckily I still had my old Samsung Focus S just wedged the MicroSim in the MicroSim slot worked like a charm thanks to the BestBuy guy who showed me how simple it was... Just ticks me off because the phone was still under manufacturers warranty just didn't have time to wait for the phone to get fixed from Nokia but now wished I sent it in am afraid BestBuy is going to give her a refurbished phone with more issues!

Thanks for posting this fix just wished it worked with her phone....

Thank you, I was about to throw this phone out the window. (pun intended)

This worked for me all on a Windows 8 computer- thank you much.
    If anyone is missing the "packages" folder it's probably because you didn't install Nokia Care Suite yet (that does it). Install that and you will get the folder.

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I'm about to ebay my phone since I've switched over to android and when I went to reset the phone it was stuck on the gear and cogs screen forever. I actually fell asleep waiting for it to load. When I woke up a few hours later it was still stuck on the screen. Anxiously, I jumped on these forums to find the a solution and found this thread. Couldn't install Nokia Care Suite on my main computer running Windows 8 so I switched to a Windows 7 laptop. Had to update VC++ and finally it installed. This didn't work on the Windows 8 machine. While I was downloading the FFU file I decided to plug in the phone to a mains to let it charge. It took about 10 minutes to download all the contents and when I went to look at the screen I noticed it had actually loaded back into the initial setup screen! I'm so relieved this damn thing is finally able to boot up again and I can make the sale and be rid of this thing once and for all. I used to love this phone but doing something as mundane as doing a restore to factory settings possibly bricking these phones is ridiculous and should be fixed soon.

The hardware approach worked for me on bricked 920. Took a few attempts to get there, but now starting restore :-)

noob Q
    is this action validate your phone warranty ?
    Hi everyone

Was in the process of the doing the downloads and while doing so I read through all the other posts. Tried removing the SIM card like some people suggested a few pages back and the reset worked fine within 5-10 mins.

My phone is Nokia 920 White locked to EE UK but purchased sim free from Phones 4U at launch and has since had portico update installed

Just thought I would remind people to try this first as my gears were stuck spinning for over an hour

Thanks to everyone on this thread - best community ever

Well, I had to reset my Lumia 920 today because i was running out of space due to that weird and ill-explained "Other" section taking up more than 15GB of storage. Sure enough, the phone was stuck at the "spinning cogs" thing, and I had to resort to flashing it this way. Good thing I keep a copy of Windows 7/VMWare and was able to fire it up on my iMac. Good thing you posted these instructions too, so thanks for that.

But this is unacceptable and Nokia should be ashamed of themselves for shipping a product with a broken image that they haven't rectified.

You are a lifesaver itxjobe

Important meetings all day tomorrow and the bloody cogs!

Your the man!

Is it possible to do this in Windows 8 then? If not, I'm a little bit stuffed ...

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpfoxhunt View Post
    Is it possible to do this in Windows 8 then? If not, I'm a little bit stuffed ...
    I just did it on my Windows 8 pc.

Just wanted to share that my hard reset 920 brick cured itself.

After 2 hours of spinning wheels after a software-hard restet i did a but button-hard reset.
    I then read the article about flashing my device and started to find the stuff i needed. While i did that i, out of frustation, did another button-hard reset and again maybe 15 minutes later. After 4 hard resets the phone suddenly restarted after another 5 minutes of spinning wheels. Booting up as it should! Ironically as it booted up the Nokia Care Suite was opening with the flash files ready.
    It looks like i doesn't need them anyway.

I'm having trouble installing Nokia Care Suite.... says i need to "Modify" my system. I'm a windows n00b.... can someone help me out? What do i need to do to get Nokia Care Suite to install?

It's all good...nevermind... *****.

Dude... this is awesome... thank god for this thread.

Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    Hi all,

Flashed my phone last night after it got stuck on the cogs doing a hard reset. Before I reset it I had Portico. After the flash though my phone no longer finds any updates. I'm pretty sure I don't have Portico installed (WIFI always on for one isn't an option).

I'm on T-Mobile in the UK which I guess would come under the EE option. I downloaded the 1232.2110.1244.3011 release which I believe is the right one.
    My phone shows the OS version at 8.0.9903.10 which I believe is pre-Portico.

Anyone know why it now can't find the Portico update?

Cheers.

Did anyone figure out the proper ROM for Portico for developer BUILD phones? Still waiting on the update here...

Quote Originally Posted by RTPGiants View Post
    Did anyone figure out the proper ROM for Portico for developer BUILD phones? Still waiting on the update here...
    No. Still getting by with AT&T firmware (1232.5951.1249.001) on T-Mobile service.

I am not sure if Portico version of developer BUILD firmware exists in the wild. My BUILD phone was stock till a few weeks ago; the phone got bricked when I tried to reset it. It never received Portico Update.

As long as the phone is working for general use (call, text, wifi hot-spot & apps) I can live with it, but it would be nice to get the unbranded firmware.