How I fixed the battery issue on the Lumia 920.

ss4_zohair1

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Hello!

Fellow 920 user it seems that I've figured out how to fix the battery issue.

1. Drain battery to 0%

2. Charge to 100% without removing at any time from 0% to 100%.

3. Repeat 3-4 times.

This enhanced my battery life significantly. Also changing the theme to light is helpful.

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Mine seemed to be fixed after running the battery empty, then doing a full charge, then I uninstalled Nokia Drive + Beta. Now after 3 hours since my last charge, I show 1 day 11 hours remaining. I'll run it all day without Nokia Drive, then I'll add it back to see if the power issues return.

prissysox

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I let battery drain but biggest thing for me is to make sure Tap & Share is off and then hit back button to close apps. I am getting great battery life now.

anon(5339110)

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Hello!

1. Drain battery to 0%

3. Repeat 3-4 times.

This enhanced my battery life significantly. Also changing the theme to light is helpful.

FYI, Nokia IS NOT recommending anyone run their battery down to zero. See the below reply, post 13, from "Kosh," a Nokia moderator on the Nokia Support forum:

ayojayjo wrote:
Let your battery drain to 0%. Try turning it back on to make sure it is literally at 0%. When there is no life left, let the phone charge to 100% before turning it back on. Voila!

Kosh replied:
It is not a good idea to drain the battery completely. Previous generations of batteries might require this, but modern batteries do not and in fact may actually lose performance faster if you do. It is perfectly fine to charge at any time and for however long you can. In general and as posted before the percentage indicator in Settings is indicative and not accurate enough to base any usage claims or conclusions on. This percentage will become more accurate over time, but will always be (somewhat) relative to recent use.
Nokia Support Discussions - Advice for customers reporting higher than expecte... - Nokia Support Discussions

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Hello!

1. Drain battery to 0%

3. Repeat 3-4 times.

I thought Battery Conditioning is an old methodology used. With my Lumia 900 I never recharge my batter untill it goes below 10% and never remove it untill doesn't reach >= 98%.

At 10-20% it shows heart sign making the user believe that its running low but in reality I have taken 20 minutes video and made couple of calls when it was showing the heart sign.

darquan

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I have just turned off facebook photos on my lock screen and moved to a single static photo. I am hoping this will improve battery but disappointing as I liked this feature.

dabdoub81

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
both of are right , although it is not advised that new battery to be drained to zero bacause you would damage it by time , but you have to do it this at least once a month but not dialy , and it is not a bad idea to do it couple of time at first !

and remember it is always better not to let the battery drains less than 20% .

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
So far I have come to the following conclusions

1) Draining the battery to 0% and charge back up doesn't have any effect. It may help to calibrate the reporting.
2) Hard resetting the phone has no effect. It may help to calibrate the reporting.
3) The only sure way to reduce battery drain
  • Disable Blue-tooth while not in use
  • Disable NFC while not in use
  • Change brightness from automatic to Low
  • Block background tasks of apps you don't use frequently. Nokai Drive+ BETA may have some issues as its still in BETA so it makes sense to block this for now.
  • Turn of battery saver
4) You can further reduce drain by doing the following but you lose some functionality
  • Set e-mails to sync manualy
  • Turn off location service
  • Turn off Wi-Fi
  • Turn off Data Roaming
  • Turn off find my phone

Calibration should settle after week or so, but don't let the phone drain down to 0% as it will have to re-calibrate itself. If you still have abnormal battery drain, then hard reset and remove all 3rd party apps and monitor. If the problem persists then very likely faulty battery/phone get a replacement.

deuxani

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
And... if you don't have LTE set the maximum dataspeed to 3G instead of 4G. And when connected to a WIFI network or when you are sleeping, set it back to 2G. The difference in battery usage between 3G/4G and 2G is huge.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
What I didn't get quite well is, what possible damage will it cause if the battery drains to 0%? Windows 8 devices which have replacable batteries won't cause any damage if we remove the battery.

darquan

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I tried turning off using facebook as my lock screen and stay at a single photo. I have barely touched my phone since I unplugged it 5 hours ago and I am at 73%. Considering I have literally not opened up an email, sent a text or done anything with my phone in that 5 hours I don't think the battery is too good.

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
What I didn't get quite well is, what possible damage will it cause if the battery drains to 0%? Windows 8 devices which have replacable batteries won't cause any damage if we remove the battery.

Recalibration of rechargeable batteries is done and suggested to laptop users all the time. It ensures that the software that reads the battery levels will report the correct amount of charge. However, recalibration (on a phone or laptop) should not be done every week, as it damages the battery in a long term. Twice or thrice a year should be enough! Anyone who thinks that the "full depletion of a rechargeable battery once in a blue moon" will kill the battery needs to head to Battery University to get some info.

ArthJar

May 26, 2013
Visit site

There is a huge difference between removing the battery and letting it run down to zero.
The first implies only taking it off without using it, while the other implies giving it an intensive use in order to drain it.
The problem with draining a li-ion battery is that these kind of batteries tend to stop retaining the same charge they had when they were new and start recognizing an inferior value as 100%.
Example:
If you have a li-ion battery that can hold 100mAh and you let it drain to 0%, the next time you recharge it it will only hold 98% of those 100mAh, until it reaches the point where it becomes useless.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar