Buying a NOKIA Lumia 920 (Rogers) for use on T-Mobile USA

GameOver69

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

Android user here (GS3), ready to purchase what looks to be a kick *** phone and OS for my wife... who is also on the android bandwagon (GS2).

I would like to purchase the Rogers version of the 920, as it appears to be unlocked (can someone please confirm this) and have the proper 3G frequencies for use on T-MOBILE USA's network.

My question is, how can i purchase this outside of ebay?

I would like to purchase it either directly from a Microsoft store (because at least here in the USA... it is cheaper than going through the carrier). If not, is there a way to purchase it directly from Rogers?

Also is the phone unbranded? It looks like it from pics online, but again would just like to verify.

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:

timriley

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
As far as I know, you'll have to physically come up to Canada and buy from a Rogers store (or Rogers dealer). Pay for the off-contract phone price ($549) and don't let them drag you into a multi-year contract. If they try to convince you that it is the same price to get on contract ($99) then pay the earlytermination fee ($450), tell them that you need to pay Rogers $50 to unlock it which they won't do until the phone is fully paid off, so there's no point going the early termination route. You will need to sign up for a minimal plan (you can get the $27/mo voice/text plan without data as long as you paid for the phone so it is contract-free). With the active plan/account, you can then call Rogers and they will unlock it for $50 and bill your Rogers account. Important thing is that you have to have an active acccount with them to unlock (ie. don't cancel your Rogers $27/mo plan until you unlock your phone). I did this for 2 phones the next day after purchase and have Tmobile sims running in both flawlessly.

timriley

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
As far as I know, you'll have to physically come up to Canada and buy from a Rogers store (or Rogers dealer). Pay for the off-contract phone price ($549) and don't let them drag you into a multi-year contract. If they try to convince you that it is the same price to get on contract ($99) then pay the earlytermination fee ($450), tell them that you need to pay Rogers $50 to unlock it which they won't do until the phone is fully paid off, so there's no point going the early termination route. You will need to sign up for a minimal plan (you can get the $27/mo voice/text plan without data as long as you paid for the phone so it is contract-free). With the active plan/account, you can then call Rogers and they will unlock it for $50 and bill your Rogers account. Important thing is that you have to have an active acccount with them to unlock (ie. don't cancel your Rogers $27/mo plan until you unlock your phone). I did this for 2 phones the next day after purchase and have Tmobile sims running in both flawlessly.

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
There is. Buy it from Negrielectronics. However, as this point, you will have to be so patient. Negri has changed many time the date that they supposed to have stock, and at this moment, the estimate date is tomorrow, but we don't know for sure if they will have stock or not. If they do, they will fulfill those that pre-ordered and I think there are a lot of people that did pre-order through them. That means you might not be able to get this phone soon and you have to wait for maybe several weeks. As you know, AT&T and Amazon sold out 920 and they are still waiting for supplies. That is the same for Negri. They have to go through a vendor and that vendor has to go through Rogers. To sum up, you either pre-order with them to get the phone later (maybe several weeks as I said) or opt for the dev version at Ebay, but if you have money to go with it.

GameOver69

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the link.

Unfortunately that's way too much for me to spend. I hope that the price comes down a bit or there will be another site that sells it for less.

Other wise I may have to get a nexus 4 for $350 and save my money. Though I really wanted to try out the wp8 on the premier device.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
That is for the link.

Unfortunately that's way too much for me to spend. I hope that the price comes down a bit or there will be another site that sells it for less.

Other wise I may have to get a nexus 4 for $350 and save my money. Though I really wanted to try out the wp8 on the premier device.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Nexus 4 is really cheap but stock still limited like 920. If you need phone, go buy Nexus for the price. Maybe later sell it for an unlock 920 at Craiglist.

diapers

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I would do some more checking before getting a pentaband phone. Before rogers released theirs I was looking at ebay auctions and most people were selling dev phones because it didn't work on t-mobile. IIRC dev phones have the same frequencies as the rogers one. Maybe get her an 820?

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I would do some more checking before getting a pentaband phone. Before rogers released theirs I was looking at ebay auctions and most people were selling dev phones because it didn't work on t-mobile. IIRC dev phones have the same frequencies as the rogers one. Maybe get her an 820?

Dev phones 100% work on Tmobile. I am using one. :D

chris2go

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I thought that this might help. Please read below about my experience:

I bought my phone yesterday because I wanted to use it on Wind/Mobilicity or possibly Fido

So, here's what I did:

A. Went to a Roger's Plus corporate booth Downtown Vancouver @ Pacific Centre
B. Bought the phone for $550+HST on a month to month (they tried to sign me up for 3 year contract, no thanks)
C. Here are my steps to get it unlocked:

1. Went to rogers.com and entered my credit card info for automatic payment (so that they can charge me for the unlocking fee, this is so IMPORTANT to avoid payment hassle)
  2. Got a non-rogers micro sim card (I used a Wind Mobile one)
  3. Shut down and and insert the micro sim on the Lumia Phone, restart, phone asks for unlock pin
  4. I called up customer care from a different line and told them that I want to unlock my phone and the sales rep that I dealt with told me to contact them
  5. Transfered to multiple departments, asked for my IMEI number, said they will charge me $50 on my credit card, waited until forwarded to the unlocking team
  6. I talked to a guy named Mohammed, he confirmed my last IMEI 4 digits and gave me the pin
  7. Entered the pin and then bam, Phone said: "Pin accepted", restarted phone and made sure the Wind Mobile 3G works and it did

So, I will cancel my LTE plan this weekend, probably gonna try the Mobilicity network.

But man, LTE/4G makes me feel really good! :p

Yes, the Rogers Lumia 920 phone is pentaband. Loving the phone so far.

Anyone know where the Data Sense is?

Last edited:

GameOver69

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Thought about it... cause i do like how it looks, but really want the screen and camera of the 920! only thing going for it is the expandable storage.

GameOver69

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I thought that this might help. Please read below about my experience:

I bought my phone yesterday because I wanted to use it on Wind/Mobilicity or possibly Fido

So, here's what I did:

A. Went to a Roger's Plus corporate booth Downtown Vancouver @ Pacific Centre
B. Bought the phone for $550+HST on a month to month (they tried to sign me up for 3 year contract, no thanks)
C. Here are my steps to get it unlocked:

1. Went to rogers.com and entered my credit card info for automatic payment (so that they can charge me for the unlocking fee, this is so IMPORTANT to avoid payment hassle)
  2. Got a non-rogers micro sim card (I used a Wind Mobile one)
  3. Shut down and and insert the micro sim on the Lumia Phone, restart, phone asks for unlock pin
  4. I called up customer care from a different line and told them that I want to unlock my phone and the sales rep that I dealt with told me to contact them
  5. Transfered to multiple departments, asked for my IMEI number, said they will charge me $50 on my credit card, waited until forwarded to the unlocking team
  6. I talked to a guy named Mohammed, he confirmed my last IMEI 4 digits and gave me the pin
  7. Entered the pin and then bam, Phone said: "Pin accepted", restarted phone and made sure the Wind Mobile 3G works and it did

So, I will cancel my LTE plan this weekend, probably gonna try the Mobilicity network.

But man, LTE/4G makes me feel really good! :p

Yes, the Rogers Lumia 920 phone is pentaband. Loving the phone so far.

Anyone know where the Data Sense is?

That would be ideal.... if i lived in Canada :)

plus i thought that the Rogers phones (920) already came unlocked?

chris2go

May 19, 2012
Visit site
That would be ideal.... if i lived in Canada :)

plus i thought that the Rogers phones (920) already came unlocked?

The rep from a microsoft popup store said they will sell the phone outright, then your option would be wait for a 3rd party unlocker. :p

The first batch were unlocked from what I read.

noworvnever

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
You can get both unlocked and network locked Roger Lumia 920 from Ebay. If it is unlocked, It would definitely work with T-Mobile SIM card. But make sure how was the mobile unlocked. Certain unsafe unlocking methods may give your problem in accessing with T-Mobile SIM card. So it is better to get a network locked Lumia 920 and unlock it for yourself. For example, You can unlock a Rogers network locked Nokia Lumia 920 safer and easier using unlock code. You can get the accurate unlock code for a Nokia Lumia 920 from www.TheUnlockSpot.com at affordable cost with easy unlocking instructions. Good luck mate.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Is there a reason why you didn't want to buy it from eBay? I've purchased several phones from eBay and I've never had any major issues. The reason I (and several others here) may purchase their phones and in your case the Rogers 920 from eBay is because 1. EBay has phones that are not available in the USA yet. 2. They have an awesome Buyer Protection program that will give you a guaranteed refund if something goes wrong within 45 days of purchase. 3. You can often find phones much cheaper than any store, because of the ability to bid or make an offer with the seller. 4. You can buy from Canadian sellers who have access to phones you don't. 5. Most purchases qualify for the 2% eBay bucks cash back program. (my personal favorite, LOL). So, I would give it a try and see how it goes. :)

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Sorry I just looked at the date, and I thought this was a new thread, looks like someone may have just been promoting an unlocking site, I don't know for sure...well I hope someone finds my comment useful...LOL.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3