Just purchased the Lumia 920 and have questions

curious225

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Right out of the box and I am already running into newbie issues.

1) I was able to link my emails, but old emails are not showing up. Only the emails that are received AFTER I set up the Lumia. So we cant search old emails? Thats pretty ridiculous if true.

2) I am getting zero notifications on the lock screen that I missed a call, had a voice mail or missed a text message. I have to turn the phone on. Is this correct? Again, ridiculous if true.

3) I have taken several photos, and deleted the default photos, but stock photos are still showing on the the Photo Tile on the main screen. How do I get those stock photos to go away?

4) I am trying to find the ESPN PTI podcasts, but cant find anything like that on the phone. Are podcasts not availalbe?

thanks for any help/suggestions. I decided against the Iphone 5 for the Lumia and I have 14 days to explore this phone. If it looks like I am keeping it I will share my likes and dislikes.

cardinalryan

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The phone does all of the things that you are saying it doesn't. Read up on it and you will find that you made an excellent choice. I'm a five year iPhone user who made the switch and so far, I do not regret my move.

curious225

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Not too helpful my friend.

Regarding #2, I found the notifications at the bottom of the screen. They really get lost. You would think the notifications would be a little bigger compared to the time and date.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
1) I was able to link my emails, but old emails are not showing up. Only the emails that are received AFTER I set up the Lumia. So we cant search old emails? Thats pretty ridiculous if true.

Go in to the email. Then hit the "..." to then go to settings. Select "Sync Setttings" then under "Download email from", ensure the drop-down says 'any time'.

2) I am getting zero notifications on the lock screen that I missed a call, had a voice mail or missed a text message. I have to turn the phone on. Is this correct? Again, ridiculous if true.

Unless you turned it off or changed it, they should be there, by default.

3) I have taken several photos, and deleted the default photos, but stock photos are still showing on the the Photo Tile on the main screen. How do I get those stock photos to go away?

Wish I used the photos app enough to know this.

4) I am trying to find the ESPN PTI podcasts, but cant find anything like that on the phone. Are podcasts not availalbe?

thanks for any help/suggestions. I decided against the Iphone 5 for the Lumia and I have 14 days to explore this phone. If it looks like I am keeping it I will share my likes and dislikes.

Might be iTunes podcasts only. I suggest finding the podcast and then saving it to your phone. They didn't show me me, either.

I didn't read the article, but check this out and hopefully this helps.

Subscribing iTunes podcasts in the Zune software | Tom Verhoeff

Also welcome to WPC. Hopefully those answers prove to be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Creeto

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

go to lockscreen settings; choose apps to show quick status- make sure they are added. They are there by default.

either settings or go to photo tile then click the ... go to settings (note you can access settings with in tile/hub rather than go to main settings ) you can choose shuffle or pick the pic. To delete all you have to do is go to photo hub then albums then whatever folder (8 for stock photos) press and hold the pic and delete.

Go to the windows store then podcast and search espn pti bamm!!

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site

go to lockscreen settings; choose apps to show quick status- make sure they are added. They are there by default.

either settings or go to photo tile then click the ... go to settings (note you can access settings with in tile/hub rather than go to main settings ) you can choose shuffle or pick the pic. To delete all you have to do is go to photo hub then albums then whatever folder (8 for stock photos) press and hold the pic and delete.

Go to the windows store then podcast and search espn pti bamm!!

And there it is... makes no sense why I typed it out and it didn't show. The search hopefully gets better.

I was actually going to type PTI, then thought it probably wouldn't come up. Forgot to try the abbreviation.

phytio

May 6, 2012
Visit site
My issue is that when I go to the Windows Store on my Lumia 920 there is nothing mentioning Podcasts. No where. I'm in the UK, is it that? I also haven't inserted a microsim yet (waiting for it to arrive), might it be that? Thanks for any help.

curious225

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
So can someone explain to me why some live tiles automatically update on their own (like the Weather Channel tile) and some only refresh when you open it (like the Drudge Report reader)?

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So can someone explain to me why some live tiles automatically update on their own (like the Weather Channel tile) and some only refresh when you open it (like the Drudge Report reader)?

I am thinking its because the app is a windows phone 7 app. I am noticing a lot of bugs with windows phone 7 apps on windows phone 8. Some of these are live tiles not updating.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
For number 3 it takes a while for the photos to update. I got mine working very well, but to be honest, I can't recall quite how. Think I deleted the stock images and started adding images that I wanted on the start screen to my favorites. But I can't recall if it automatically grabs the favorites or you set it somewhere. I can look around and try to find out.

Also, you'll be amazed at how much stuff WP8 aggregates; it's pretty cool how WP8 integrates it all. I am seeing all my images from FB (not that I use it much), and I created a Family group under the people hub and all of their photos are pulled down behind the scenes. It must be doing it when I have a wifi connection as my data only shows 30 MBs used.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven