Weather app for 920 with WORKING live tiles?

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
All the weather apps I've tried so far won't give me the weather of wherever I am. They seem to bookmark my location on a list (in Nokia's weather app and MS's too). On android no matter where you are the weather widget will tell you where you are and what the local weather is for that location. I can't find one in WP8 that does this - they will tell me my default (home) location's weather unless I manually add wherever I am to the list of weather locations. Am I doing something wrong or could someone point me in the direction of a good app for this?

weepatc

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
All the weather apps I've tried so far won't give me the weather of wherever I am. They seem to bookmark my location on a list (in Nokia's weather app and MS's too). On android no matter where you are the weather widget will tell you where you are and what the local weather is for that location. I can't find one in WP8 that does this - they will tell me my default (home) location's weather unless I manually add wherever I am to the list of weather locations. Am I doing something wrong or could someone point me in the direction of a good app for this?
I use WeatherMaster & you can set it up to use your present location or add a location. I find it accurate for my locations in the UK. I used Weather Pro a while back but didn't think it was all that good.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I use WeatherMaster & you can set it up to use your present location or add a location. I find it accurate for my locations in the UK. I used Weather Pro a while back but didn't think it was all that good.
Do you confirm that the live tile changes locations as you do, city/area to city/area, without opening the app? I think that is what Muessig is wanting...

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I'd like the live tile to change location as I do ideally. Even entering the app any app I've tried so far still only displays my current location. I like the way the Nokia variant live tile works but the way it sticks to the default location is a pain.

EDIT: Seems you have to pay for Weather Master - is there not a free weather app that will give me information on my current location? Do I really have to pay for an app to get this functionality?

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Yeah I'd like the live tile to change location as I do ideally. Even entering the app any app I've tried so far still only displays my current location. I like the way the Nokia variant live tile works but the way it sticks to the default location is a pain.

EDIT: Seems you have to pay for Weather Master - is there not a free weather app that will give me information on my current location? Do I really have to pay for an app to get this functionality?
There is a trial...

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hmm I'm gonna just come out and say it. I think there's a chance I'm being a complete and utter noob.

I downloaded the trial of WeatherMaster and it said it needed the GPS turned on to locate me - makes sense. It kept crashing when I tried to get more information in the app (would just return me to the start screen) but this has led me to wonder - in Android the weather could locate me based on my mobile signal... can WP8 not do this? I've been keeping my GPS turned off to keep the battery life as high as possible, so in order for ANY weather app to know where I am in WP8 do I HAVE to have the GPS on? It's not a problem for me to turn GPS on when I'm out of town and I want weather info, but can anyone confirm that The Weather Channel (Nokia version) or any other weather apps (pref. free) will report current location with GPS on or is it limited to default location?

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
All the weather apps I have tried can pull your current location while the app is open (about 5-8 weather apps that have all been listed here). Not sure about the live tile automagically updating your location without opening the app though.

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
All the weather apps I have tried can pull your current location while the app is open (about 5-8 weather apps that have all been listed here). Not sure about the live tile automagically updating your location without opening the app though.

Amazing Weather can do it. It's awesome!

Fuzzy John

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Weather Channel Live Tile does not update by itself for me either. It only updtes after I go into the app. Also Weather Channel does not give the weather for the current location but only for the default location which may be 100s of miles away. This stands for both the Nokia version and the regular version. AccuWeather does the same.
I cannot understand why these Live Tiles behave differently for different people. The location service is enabled in the phone settings and in the app's settings.
Really strange...

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
WeatherMaster is doing a great job of updating the live tile with current weather and location. Weather Flow was nice, but it didn't seem to update the location as timely.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb