Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
    Administrator

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    Well that didn't last long. I'm super sad right now. Picked up my Lumia 920 from Rogers in Winnipeg this past Friday. Been using it since then as my regular phone. A few hours ago it just died. I didn't see it happen. As far as I know it had battery life still (took it off the charger in the morning). But then I went to use it and it wouldn't turn on. Put it on the charger and even after 30 minutes it wouldn't turn on. Left it on the charger even longer and still wouldn't turn on. Tried another two different chargers now and left it on for 30 minutes on each one, and still no luck.

I took my SIM card out now and switched back to another phone. Hoping it magically turns on again, but not sure that will happen. :/

What's weird is that a similar thing happened when Dan Rubino was here a few weeks ago with his review unit Lumia 920. It just spontaneously died on him, but in the case it came back to life after 30 minutes on a charger. I don't seem to be having such luck.

Haven't been doing anything unusual with the phone. Maybe there's something about Rogers in Winnipeg that the Lumia doesn't like? The phone has seemed pretty stable/reliable overall so far, although yesterday it did restart on me once when I was driving in my car talking over Bluetooth via a Skype call (it just decided to kill the call, turn off and restart).

Not sure what I'm supposed to do now to revive it? I saw the tutorial on fixing a bricked Lumia 920, but I think this is beyond that. Guess I'll take it back to Rogers tomorrow.

Any ideas / advice appreciated.
    Kevin Michaluk
    Founder, EIC, CrackBerry.com
    Chief Media Officer, Mobile Nations
    Currently trying out the Lumia 920 while on my Mobile Nations World Tour waiting for BlackBerry 10.

Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Contact Nokia Care.. Chances are, they will send you a new phone overnight.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Did you try holding the volume down and sleep buttons for at least 10 seconds?

Kevin, I had mine lock up similarly, seemed completely dead. But try the soft reset like Darus suggests, that's what worked on mine. And I discovered words with friends was the source of my lockups.
    Arguing with an ***** is like playing chess with a pigeon.
    You could be the greatest player in the world, but the pigeon will still knock over all the pieces, s--t on the board and strut around triumphantly-Tomtom6 on NcSportbikes.com

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    I read on another forum that someone, who had contacted Nokia Customer Service, was asked by Nokia if by any chance his phone was purchased from Rogers in the first days of release. I found that interesting.

My Rogers 920 died to did the hard reset and fixed it whoo!

Ever since then no bottlenecks good battery life.
    Administrator

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    OK. BACK TO LIFE. Took a couple of tries it seems, but the resets worked. It booted up and is alive once again. Not sure why Rogers hated it on though.

BUT NOW I HAVE A NEW ISSUE....

While the Lumia 920 was out for the count, I popped the sim card out of it and tossed it back into my iPhone 5. Just went to put my SIM card back into the Lumia 920, but the SIM Card Tray won't pop up. Then I just realized... there's FREAK'N EMPTY SIM CARD ADAPTER IN THERE AND THE PINS ARE STUCK.

So ticked off right now. That's a mistake I've made before on BlackBerry, but I didn't even realize I had a SIM card adapter in there. Totally forgot. When we picked up the Lumia 920s, we bought two of them and Bla1ze (Chris Parsons) who writes for us got mine setup while I was working on some other stuff. I didn't realize he put my nano sim from my iPhone 5 into an adapter and then into the Lumia 920. The adapter fits so smooth that I when I popped out my SIM just now it didn't even look like an adapter was in there. So now I think the pins are stuck in the hole of the adapter. I'm trying to do some careful surgery right now to pop it out without snapping anything. It's halfway there I think.. still stuck though. Fingers crossed I get back up and running.
    Kevin Michaluk
    Currently trying out the Lumia 920 while on my Mobile Nations World Tour waiting for BlackBerry 10.

Global Posts
    12,770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Michaluk View Post
    OK. BACK TO LIFE. Took a couple of tries it seems, but the resets worked. It booted up and is alive once again. Not sure why Rogers hated it on though.

BUT NOW I HAVE A NEW ISSUE....

While the Lumia 920 was out for the count, I popped the sim card out of it and tossed it back into my iPhone 5. Just went to put my SIM card back into the Lumia 920, but the SIM Card Tray won't pop up. Then I just realized... there's FREAK'N EMPTY SIM CARD ADAPTER IN THERE AND THE PINS ARE STUCK.

So ticked off right now. That's a mistake I've made before on BlackBerry, but I didn't even realize I had a SIM card adapter in there. Totally forgot. When we picked up the Lumia 920s, we bought two of them and Bla1ze (Chris Parsons) who writes for us got mine setup while I was working on some other stuff. I didn't realize he put my nano sim from my iPhone 5 into an adapter and then into the Lumia 920. The adapter fits so smooth that I when I popped out my SIM just now it didn't even look like an adapter was in there. So now I think the pins are stuck in the hole of the adapter. I'm trying to do some careful surgery right now to pop it out without snapping anything. It's halfway there I think.. still stuck though. Fingers crossed I get back up and running.
    Wait.. are you trying to blame me for this? :P
    Jazmac and Innovatology like this.
    Administrator

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    OK... so I managed to get the stuck sim card adapter halfway out -- was really careful so think it's ok -- which now gave me enough room to slide the nano sim back into the adapter. Restarting phone now.. let's see if it works...
    Kevin Michaluk

Global Posts
    12,770 Global Posts
    And the lesson of the day here folks, be careful using SIM card adapters -- you could really mess us your device.

Global Posts
    620 Global Posts
    ??? Could you explain what happened?
    Sent from my Red L920 using Board Express
    Administrator

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    And I am screwed. Invalid Sim Card Error.

I cannot believe I did this again. Totally Chris Parson's fault. I completely, completely, completely COMPLETELY didn't realize there was an adapter in there. I feel sick.

Here's what I did a while back on a BlackBerry... I essentially just did the same thing on my Lumia 920 without realizing it.

Kinda feel like vomiting right now. I feel sick. My fault I guess, but wouldn't have happened if the phone didn't die on its own first. Wouldn't have pulled the card out. Garrrrr!

Kevin Michaluk
    Editor-in-chief

Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Ah, poor Kev. He has the worst luck.
    Daniel Rubino
    Editor in chief - Windows Central
    Email: daniel@windowscentral
    Twitter: @Daniel_Rubino
    Socl: Daniel Rubino
    Administrator

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    I don't know if it's bad luck, or if sometimes I just don't slow down to think about what I'm doing....
    Kevin Michaluk

Global Posts
    12,770 Global Posts
    I don't know if it's bad luck, or if sometimes I just don't slow down to think about what I'm doing....
    You walk fast, you eat fast, you talk fast -- you destroy phones fast!

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parsons View Post
    You walk fast, you eat fast, you talk fast -- you destroy phones fast!
    Now I see why he's so insecure, he's a 2 min. man. :blush:
    brmiller1976 likes this.

Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Oof, sorry to hear about that. And you were so close to getting it working again :x

From what I've been reading on these forums, though, try contacting Nokia's Customer Care. They'll probably ship you a new phone for free if you explain to them what happened. Or you could go back to Rogers if you think they'll give you a replacement.

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Ahhh, the reason why I don't like to use SIM cards! (just kidding, but still happy I am on a CDMA phone)

Global Posts
    1,557 Global Posts
    I think that's the curse of us BlackBerry users, we're always in a hurry :D
    Mobile Nations Staff

Global Posts
    1,935 Global Posts
    kevin-sematary.jpg
    Kevin, what are we going to do with you?

First the plastic, and now you've destroyed another SIM slot!

Nano SIMs and you do not get along. :(
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,476 Global Posts
    First of all Kevin, what the **** are you doing here? You're meant to be die-hard BlackBerry! LOL. Heck, I even remember you back when I was that outspoken teen with a BlackBerry 8520...

Secondly, I hope to god I don't have this issue with my 820... Guess you're gonna have to cough up the dough to get it fixed...

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."

My 920 Just died too, have it on a charger right now to see if it helps/fixes itself but really do not feel like hard resetting, this is pretty much BS, going to call Nokia Support if it does not come back on and ***** them out completely.

Why would you be adverse to hard resetting. It is not a factory reset. Yes, deeper than putting your phone to sleep, but no different than turning it off.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast