waterproof?

fancyabrew

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I’ve been ill with a bug over the weekend so on Sunday I thought I’d have a nice bath to make me feel better. Anyway we have quite a nice large double ended airbath which has quite a wide flat surround to it so you can put a brew down easily. My old HTC Mozart fitted nicely on the surround but the 920 being a lot bigger than the Mozart is quite close to the edge, nearly over hanging. Now I bet you can all see where this is headed! I knocked the fecking thing in to the water! It went right under and it took me a good few seconds of scrabbling around to get the bugger out (lucky I didn’t have the airjets going or it could have taken me longer!) I feared the worst but it was STILL working! I just quickly towelled it off but it works perfectly. Put it in of drying room overnight where it’s nice and warm just to get every last bit of moisture out but it is fine.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Not waterproof, you're either incredibly lucky or there is something damaged that you don't know yet.

Have you tried charging (once you feel it is totally dry) it? Placing a call? Used it?

fancyabrew

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
yep done all of the above it works fine! I was VERY surprised! Maybe I should have put a ;o) after the subject I'm not seriously asking if its waterproof

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I would put it in a bowl of rice for a couple of hours.

Rice is well renowned for being brilliant at drying mobiles out, which have gotten wet.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
No, the Lumia 920 is not waterproof. There are multiple points of entry on the device where water could seep into boards and cause all sorts of issues. The problem is you can't tell if a moisture indicator went off on the phone without opening it up to see. You could chance warranty exchange - ethics aside - and see if you could get yourself another Lumia. The responsible thing would be to go ahead and file a claim to get a replacement Lumia. If you suspect you might bathe with your Lumia again (more than a shower) I would strongly advise getting an Otterbox for the phone. $50 is cheaper than paying the deductible.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I found phones can sometimes be surprising resilient when it comes to water. I recently saw river side by my apartment. It of course was soaked and dirty so I took it home and dryed it off ina bag of rice for like 2 days. After that it was able to turn on and operate just fine. I was able to contact the owner and return them their phone. Turned out they were in the same building area as me.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Look at the Lumia 920 drop tests. They say it could survive a drop from various heights, but then you have a guy that on the forums here said he dropped his 920 from 2' trying to exit his Civic. There are other variables that could significantly increase or decrease your chances of damaging your phone. A co-worker's girlfriend dropped her HTC EVO 4G in the toilet - don't ask - and they stuck the phone in rice for about 12 hours. They had issues with the speaker after that, but after shaking the phone to make sure there wasn't excess moisture left behind a burnt piece of rice fell out of the headphone jack. The EVO runs much slower now and the touchscreen is not quite as responsive.

And here you would think falling into the toilet the phone wouldn't have been submerged in that much water. Compared to a tub full of water I would suspect the phone in the toilet would have survived better. If the phone landed at the right angle, the water could have rushed in through the headphone jack or another opening. If the Lumia just splashed in the tub and didn't favor one set of openings more than the other the water might not have been disbursed with enough force to cover the internal boards.

fancyabrew

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
down the bog is quite a common thing to happen to a phone! As I said I was very surprised. The magazine I was reading at the time didn't fair so well, which was a shame as I was only about 1/3 of the way through the Xmas edition of PCGamer

Mpm277

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
This isn't me trying to "one up" the durability or whatever of the iPhone.. just sharing a story relevan to the discussion about phone's surprising us when it comes to water.

A couple years ago when I had my iPhone 3G, I forgot I had it in my pocket and went swimming with it. For 30 minutes. And the screen was all cracked to heck. To my amazement, it still worked perfectly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon