What's YOUR average battery life?

larspassic

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I got my Yellow Lumia 920 on Monday, and have charged it twice every day since. :( The time between charges is usually less than 12 hours. Very disappointing so far.

Today I am trying an experiment with some new settings:
2 email accounts syncing every hour or 2
1 email account using push as items arrive
Weather Channel live tile
Facebook lockscreen
Nokia Drive blocked
WiFi off
Auto brightness
Bluetooth off
Tap+Send off
Location on
Battery Saver on (below 20%)
All backups on
Phone updates on
Feedback on
High sensitivity touch off
Connect with Xbox off
Connect with Xbox music on

Ricky C

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I really like my phone, but I'm on avg. at about 8 hours a charge. It stinks that we have to do so much work just to get our phones to work.

AndroidJay

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
When I am at home, in Tucson AZ, I get great battery life with high usage. Can't seem to leave the phone alone. Lasts easily the whole day. HSPA+.
However, I traveled to an area with LTE and that changed big time. I was getting about 6 to 8 hours then unless I turned off the data for the phone in settings.

cruzr96

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm a happy camper, my phone's battery life was stellar today! Took it off the charger at six, and it's still chugging along twelve hours later with 54% battery life left! That's with moderate internet usage, probably a couple hours worth (including music streaming), and very light gaming, along with a couple of texts.

GPS off
NFC off
Wifi search off
Brightness on LOW
E-mail set to daily

I know a lot of folks here won't believe me when I say it, but discharging the battery does wonders. Obviously I'm not talking about draining the battery everyday, but if you just received the phone it helps a lot with the battery. Especially idle drain!!

Al_2

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
This morning after playing about 20 minutes of music and using the Weave news reader for about 10 minutes, and the rest of the time being idle I checked my battery status and I was rather surprised to see it saying I had over 5 days left!

wp_ss_20121126_0001.jpg

Needless to say after a few minutes of using the phone it had dropped to a more reasonable level (it certainly doesn't last even that long either).

wp_ss_20121126_0002.jpg

Observations on battery life recently:

- 40 minutes of using Nokia Drive drained it by 22% (expected it to use a lot, and I can plug it into charge in my car whilst using it anyway)
- 1 hour 15 minute phone call drained it by 12%

Dramer77

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
On average so far I can go 2-3 days between a charge if I'm pushing the battery. I've been reading up on how to keep the batteries lasting longer over time so I tend to keep it topped up and only really ever let the phone get as low as 30-40% at the lowest before I top it up again. Having said all that, the 920 outlasts my old phone by a long way.
they do get better over time but what your doing is going to give yours bad battery memory, you shuoldnt keep topping it off.. let it die down to 5-10% 1-2 times a week..

Dramer77

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think alot of people dont know that it takes a few days for batt life to get better and that from the start you need to condition the battery.. out of the box you should use the phone till it almost dies 5% or so.. then charge it fully, do this around 2 times a week.. if you do alot of short charges to "top it off" you gonna develop a bad battery memory..it could take a week or 2 before you start seeing better batt life..

heres a screenshot of mine last night, everything is pretty much default.. mild use mostly on wifi..
66069_10151355537754388_340622313_n.jpg

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
they do get better over time but what your doing is going to give yours bad battery memory, you shuoldnt keep topping it off.. let it die down to 5-10% 1-2 times a week..
Sorry, but lithium ion batteries don't have any memory characteristics. I never let my 900 get below 25-30% before topping it off, and usually have it connected to a USB portable charger when it hits around 40-50%. If anything, battery life is probably better than it was in April. But that's because AT&T recently boosted up the LTE network in the Orlando area. So now I am draining about 2% per hour/idle instead of 3.5-4%, with everything on. Full discharges won't have any immediate negative effect on your battery, but may shorten the overall life. So if you plan to keep the phone for 2-3 years, not a good idea. But if it makes some feel better, go ahead and and do it.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Just a quick addition. Sometimes after your phone is dead, it shuts off but you can turn it back on and continue playing with it...I'm currently listening to music on zero... >_>

robstunner

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
my phone went from 100% to 96% from 5am to 11am, which is good. then after 30 min of wordament, some browsing, texting and emailing, i hit 32% by around 7pm. at 8Pm i found my phone dead, wouldnt power on as it drained completely. Disappointing as i turned off most of the "culprits" that were displayed. I refuse to turn battery saver on as i bought a SMARTPHONE not something that requires me to manually check my mail.

Dramer77

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, but lithium ion batteries don't have any memory characteristics. I never let my 900 get below 25-30% before topping it off, and usually have it connected to a USB portable charger when it hits around 40-50%. If anything, battery life is probably better than it was in April. But that's because AT&T recently boosted up the LTE network in the Orlando area. So now I am draining about 2% per hour/idle instead of 3.5-4%, with everything on. Full discharges won't have any immediate negative effect on your battery, but may shorten the overall life. So if you plan to keep the phone for 2-3 years, not a good idea. But if it makes some feel better, go ahead and and do it.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

keep thinking that, people thing cause lithium battery's are not "suppose" to get a memory that your phone wont.. this has been tested and proven that they work better by discharging them fully and a full recharge..

goodsit2

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I hate to be the stickler, but instead of just throwing around opinions, make them facts by backing them up with good citations. It means nothing to me when people just ramble about what they heard or read, but don't actually have the research that proves what they are saying.

Jani Anttonen

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I was having really bad battery life with my Lumia 920 until today. I found out the IM+ app was prone to getting into some kind of loop, warming the top part of the phone up and draining the battery. Worst case scenario happened just yesterday as I left the Uni, been on the road for only 6 hours since last charge, and the battery was down to 50%. This was obviously bad for just sending couple of texts and checking the mail a few times.

So, I continued to search for clues to this problem in the evening, and did a suggested drain of the battery to the point it wouldn't even show a boot screen, put it to charge, and I was greeted with 5 and a half days of charge left. The awesomeness didn't last long, as I opened IM+ and checked if I had any messages. Checked at the battery life again, and it was draining a % every minute or so. Uninstalled the app, and I'm starting today with 2 full days of estimated charge left. Not happy so far with the battery life, but I'm really satisfied with the phone and I hope today will make a difference.

abhishek8605

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
For the first three days, I was getting about 12-14 hours with average to heavy use, mostly tinkering with settings, homescreen customization, browsing, and chatting. I only drained the battery completely after the first charge cycle, and since then I have done a total of 4 charge cycles, recharing around the 10-15% mark.

Last night I took the battery off the charger at 830pm, it is now 430 pm the next day and I'm at 13%. This is after my phone turned off by itself TWICE last night and I had to do a soft reset twice. I am satisfied.

arni99

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
100% charged at 8 a. m.
Now its 2 p.m. an 96% remaining - estimated battery life 4 days 5 hours

WIFI: off
GPS: on
NFC: off
Mobile data speed: 2G (set as maximum speed)
1 Mail account synced every 30min
Background apps: Nokia Drive blocked

Did some calls and webbrowsing in the train (about 20min) today.

Always drain my battery to 0% until it dies and do a full charge since day 1 .
First couple of days battery life was considerably worse...max. 8 hours.
Did a soft reset and after 5-10 cycles it's great now.

boatsnbeaches

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting about 2 days on average unless the random battery drain bites, then I get about 4 hours -- but in return I get a toasty 920 for heating my lunch :) It's only hit me a few times though.

I get about 40-50 hours per charge on average

I'm in an LTE market most of the time
WiFi on
BT on
NFC off
all the wifi 'advanced options' disabled
weather tile updates
FB/people hub
3 mail accounts set for 'as items arrive'
..and a few other minimal apps,

I average about 60-90 mins voice time per day and about 30 mins web. Besides the occasional "runaway battery drain" the battery life is excellent for my needs.

Jani Anttonen

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Could the issues be because of 4G somehow using a ton of battery even when not moving any data? Encountered a random battery drain today, as I left the campus with wifi and started using 4G for ten minutes or so, and instantly noticed a big drop in the battery life estimates. When I turned max connection speed to 2G(I'm now pretty sure 3G would've done the trick as well), I was thinking that it'd be drained before I get home, but when I took a look at it an hour later, the estimates had bumped back to normal, having 10 hours left on the battery with 40% charge. Pretty sure I was wrong with the assumption of IM+ draining all the juice. Could be both.

rickylago2

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
After 5-6 full cycles, I'm getting about 26 hrs on a charge. Which I am REALLY happy with. I have 3 email accounts continually pushing emails down. A lot of text+facebook messaging. Roughly 1.5 hours of phone calls in a day. Constant browsing and checking fantasy football. And the occasional xbox game.

That first couple of days was definitely worth the wait.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro