Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

I had a talk with Nokia today, they will replace the screen for 60$ (plus 20$ for the shipping) and they told me that Gorilla Glass 2 was not that tough and the guy admitted they had a lot of complaints regarding this so called "toughest" glass. It's mostly marketing in my opinion. I remember when I replaced a shattered screen on my iPhone 3G... it cost me 130$ w/o the shipping... but maybe the guy gave me a lower price because I was pissed off... hahaha
    Last edited by Simon Tupper; 11-23-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Still better than nothing..

Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    I can related to this! I kept my yellow Lumia 920 on my desk at work with screen facing the table. Accidentally gave it a few swirls while I was on phone with a client and next thing I know is even my smoothest desk gave it scrathes on the screen! They aren't deep but they are literally rotational marks on the screen that won't go away with wiping. I can't see it till there is direct light falling on them.
    I'm not the only one now.

I also have a yellow Lumia 920 - screen scratched really easily don't know how. I previously had an n9 which does not have a single scratch. If i'm within my 14 day at&t window, can i exchange it for a new one?
    I realize that this phone scratches easily anywhere when on my second day i saw two scratches,one on the bottom right edge on the back of my phone and one in the same spot towards the middle. I didn't know how it happened.My first thought is that the paint coat was falling cause that's how it looks like.I got pissed off and decided to go and buy this:
    Zagg Invisible Shield Dry Apply - Nokia Lumia 920 accessories from AT&T

Now you can not see it that much cause the protector cover one of them but the one on the edge is a little visible. So , for the screen and the body i think this is the best way to go.

Global Posts
    434 Global Posts
    I have a Samsung Omnia 7 with no screen protector, and it has no visible scratches. If I had a Lumia 920 I'd want it to be 'naked' or there's no point having it.

i know some people are saying its the oleophobic coating that gets scratched, but that's not the point. A visible scratch is unacceptable. I don't you could claim under warranty as Nokia will says its your fault.
    AngryNil likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    I have a Samsung Omnia 7 with no screen protector, and it has no visible scratches. If I had a Lumia 920 I'd want it to be 'naked' or there's no point having it.

i know some people are saying its the oleophobic coating that gets scratched, but that's not the point. A visible scratch is unacceptable. I don't you could claim under warranty as Nokia will says its your fault.
    Yep I have a Cowon S9 with Gorilla Glass that I've used/abused daily for going on 4 years now and the screen looks almost brand new. I was GG's biggest supporter. Something's not right here.

Today I noticed a nick on the screen of my 920. It's neither big nor very noticable, but it does bug me because I'm so careful with the phone and have no idea how the screen could've got damaged.

I already have tons of little scratches on the screen.
    One word of warning, sand is Gorilla Glass's weakness. One or two specks in your pocket will have a field day on the screen.
    My Samsung focus doesn't have as many scratches on it and it's a year old, and it uses Gorilla glass 1!
    I bought a zagg screen protector for it :|

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Rodriguez View Post
    I realize that this phone scratches easily anywhere when on my second day i saw two scratches,one on the bottom right edge on the back of my phone and one in the same spot towards the middle. I didn't know how it happened.My first thought is that the paint coat was falling cause that's how it looks like.I got pissed off and decided to go and buy this:
    Zagg Invisible Shield Dry Apply - Nokia Lumia 920 accessories from AT&T

Now you can not see it that much cause the protector cover one of them but the one on the edge is a little visible. So , for the screen and the body i think this is the best way to go.
    I just picked up that same Zagg kit at my local AT&T store. It went on great except for one problem - I got distracted when applying the front shield and I applied it upside down (Doh!!!) so it's covering the earpiece. I couldn't help but laugh when I noticed. I'll leave it that way until I get a replacement front shield which I'll order tomorrow. The back side went on perfect and to my surprise is matte. My L920 is white gloss and the fingerprints, though not extremely noticeable, were aplenty. It looks great in matte white.

in knife test we have seen the back surface of the body doesn't get any scratches.. Is this only for the poly carbounate body or also for the matte finished black.. Does the black matte one survives back scratches
    Simon Tupper likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rnaveen1989 View Post
    in knife test we have seen the back surface of the body doesn't get any scratches.. Is this only for the poly carbounate body or also for the matte finished black.. Does the black matte one survives back scratches
    It does get some damage when you use a knife on the back... there is a video that shows it... maybe it's only because of the image quality that you didn't see the scrashes

Global Posts
    1,244 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beltelmel View Post
    I just picked up that same Zagg kit at my local AT&T store. It went on great except for one problem - I got distracted when applying the front shield and I applied it upside down (Doh!!!) so it's covering the earpiece. I couldn't help but laugh when I noticed. I'll leave it that way until I get a replacement front shield which I'll order tomorrow. The back side went on perfect and to my surprise is matte. My L920 is white gloss and the fingerprints, though not extremely noticeable, were aplenty. It looks great in matte white.
    give it a few days , I had one on mine too and it makes your beautiful white phone look dingy and discolored :(

It was very bad to see a scratch newly purchased Lumia 920. Despite of careful use i was surprised to see scratch on screen. The videos on Youtube regarding Hammer and Knife test looks fake and scrap. This Gorrilla -2 glass needs more improvement rather than advertisements and posting fake videos. Nokia should re-think on the technology adopted for this Flagship mobile for both Nokia and Windows. This going to earn bad publicity for Nokia.
    I visited the Nokia Care they asked for repair charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaudhry73 View Post
    It was very bad to see a scratch newly purchased Lumia 920. Despite of careful use i was surprised to see scratch on screen.
    LOL. Gorilla glass is what it is - very good for non-point impact, but after all still glass. I've had mine without screen protector for 45 days. No scratches. I've had gorilla class based phones for 5 years no screen protectors, no scratches. My kid managed a small scratch on her iPhone4s. I guess that will earn Apple bad publicity too :)

I also find out that I have 4 minor scratches on my phone after carefully used for a week, should have used screen protector. Scratch free gorilla glass is BS

Quote Originally Posted by Chaudhry73 View Post
    It was very bad to see a scratch newly purchased Lumia 920. Despite of careful use i was surprised to see scratch on screen. The videos on Youtube regarding Hammer and Knife test looks fake and scrap. This Gorrilla -2 glass needs more improvement rather than advertisements and posting fake videos. Nokia should re-think on the technology adopted for this Flagship mobile for both Nokia and Windows. This going to earn bad publicity for Nokia.
    I visited the Nokia Care they asked for repair charges.
    Im pretty sure that the knife tests are not fake, metal won't scratch your screen from just sliding over it, they are not hard/sharp enough. Having a grain of sand or something on your screen while you wipe it off on the other hand can scratch it badly, no matter what screen you have. Im just happy with any scratch resistance I can get, would suck if keys/any metal object would scratch it easily too.

Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    Gorilla Glass is overhyped IMO. I remember first getting my Omnia 7, which just has a "scratch resistant screen", and I was pretty worried about the lack of GG. Hasn't mattered one bit, no visible scratches as of yet. Yours is a pretty bad scratch, kinda crazy it happened out of the blue.

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Just out of curiosity, is this an issue with pretty much all gorilla glass phones, or does the Lumia use some other type of GG?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,518 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker1064 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, is this an issue with pretty much all gorilla glass phones, or does the Lumia use some other type of GG?
    No. My wife had a Nokia N8 and now a Nokia 808. She jams it in her purse, tosses her keys on it and her gorilla glass screens have never been scratched. I am really surprised it doesn't have a scratch.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com

All of these screens scratch. They're just scratch resistant. A fine point and enough pressure will still scratch it. A jeans pocket seems unlikely though - perhaps the rivet at the pocket has a sharp bent edge protruding? I see the scratch is horizontal and that just makes the pocket as the source even more unlikely.

I had a same problem..

I got a scratch because of keys in my pocket.. It kind of sucks what to do

Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Most people have pockets filled with sand/dirt/grains which can hurt any glass gorilla or not , If your keys were dirty they'll scratch the screen ...

I tried to scratch my screen with knife and keys - no success. Phone was scatchless until I dropped it from pocket to bus floor where gravity slided it screen down some 3 meters on sand and mud - finally got many really tiny scratches on screen. I'll keep my phone still naked but the screen doesn't like sand - sand is making scratches like diamonds - don't try at home. With keys and knife you cannot scratch it. Yeah sure the 920 screen is one of the best but not immortal.

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I think that someone has done this to you
    Maybe ex-girfriend !!!

The people who is the screen can not be scrached , just give it to me for two mins and i promise you will regret it
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast