Lumia 920's screen is easy to scratch?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lumia 920's screen i easy to scratch?

I can related to this! I kept my yellow Lumia 920 on my desk at work with screen facing the table. Accidentally gave it a few swirls while I was on phone with a client and next thing I know is even my smoothest desk gave it scrathes on the screen! They aren't deep but they are literally rotational marks on the screen that won't go away with wiping. I can't see it till there is direct light falling on them.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

I can related to this! I kept my yellow Lumia 920 on my desk at work with screen facing the table. Accidentally gave it a few swirls while I was on phone with a client and next thing I know is even my smoothest desk gave it scrathes on the screen! They aren't deep but they are literally rotational marks on the screen that won't go away with wiping. I can't see it till there is direct light falling on them.

How can that possible be gorilla glass if that happened to you? I don't get it.

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
RE: Lumia 920's screen i easy to scratch?

I am not too convinced that Gorilla Glass does not scratch. I have a few unexplained surface scratched on my 900 which I believe had the same GG. As I mentioned in the other post. I baby all my phones so it isn't something that I did consciously wrong. Mine happened within a couple of months of owning it. ,:(

Sent from my Lumia 820 using Board Express

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Non entirely sure. I am about to leave work and be home in like an hour. So I will try and take a pic with my Pureview 808 with massive flash so you can see those rotational scratched surface. I was gutted that all I did was spin my phone screen down on desk and I did that to my shiny new toy! :(

The next thing I did was text my brother who got his phone last night and told him "Ignore that youtube hammer test video I sent you this morning. It may not be entirely true. Keep your screen safe"

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

I am not too convinced that Gorilla Glass does not scratch. I have a few unexplained surface scratched on my 900 which I believe had the same GG. As I mentioned in the other post. I baby all my phones so it isn't something that I did consciously wrong. Mine happened within a couple of months of owning it. ,:(

Sent from my Lumia 820 using Board Express

I agree. It should only be scratch resistant, but people are getting these mysterious scratches during careful usage. Then I think about my wife jamming her N8 and now her 808 in her purse with her keys on the screen and she hasn't had a nick or a scratch on either phone. Maybe the company making the gorilla glass for Nokia now is sending out a subpar product. That's the only thing I can think of.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site

I had a talk with Nokia today, they will replace the screen for 60$ (plus 20$ for the shipping) and they told me that Gorilla Glass 2 was not that tough and the guy admitted they had a lot of complaints regarding this so called "toughest" glass. It's mostly marketing in my opinion. I remember when I replaced a shattered screen on my iPhone 3G... it cost me 130$ w/o the shipping... but maybe the guy gave me a lower price because I was pissed off... hahaha

Last edited:

Mrkdilkington

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

I'm not the only one now.

droosie

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

I also have a yellow Lumia 920 - screen scratched really easily don't know how. I previously had an n9 which does not have a single scratch. If i'm within my 14 day at&t window, can i exchange it for a new one?

Alex Rodriguez

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

I realize that this phone scratches easily anywhere when on my second day i saw two scratches,one on the bottom right edge on the back of my phone and one in the same spot towards the middle. I didn't know how it happened.My first thought is that the paint coat was falling cause that's how it looks like.I got pissed off and decided to go and buy this:
Zagg Invisible Shield Dry Apply - Nokia Lumia 920 accessories from AT&T

Now you can not see it that much cause the protector cover one of them but the one on the edge is a little visible. So , for the screen and the body i think this is the best way to go.

Stig

Jan 24, 2004
Visit site

I have a Samsung Omnia 7 with no screen protector, and it has no visible scratches. If I had a Lumia 920 I'd want it to be 'naked' or there's no point having it.

i know some people are saying its the oleophobic coating that gets scratched, but that's not the point. A visible scratch is unacceptable. I don't you could claim under warranty as Nokia will says its your fault.

Mrkdilkington

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

I have a Samsung Omnia 7 with no screen protector, and it has no visible scratches. If I had a Lumia 920 I'd want it to be 'naked' or there's no point having it.

i know some people are saying its the oleophobic coating that gets scratched, but that's not the point. A visible scratch is unacceptable. I don't you could claim under warranty as Nokia will says its your fault.
Yep I have a Cowon S9 with Gorilla Glass that I've used/abused daily for going on 4 years now and the screen looks almost brand new. I was GG's biggest supporter. Something's not right here.

castewa88

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

Today I noticed a nick on the screen of my 920. It's neither big nor very noticable, but it does bug me because I'm so careful with the phone and have no idea how the screen could've got damaged.:angry:

dudedud

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

I already have tons of little scratches on the screen.
One word of warning, sand is Gorilla Glass's weakness. One or two specks in your pocket will have a field day on the screen.
My Samsung focus doesn't have as many scratches on it and it's a year old, and it uses Gorilla glass 1!
I bought a zagg screen protector for it :|

Beltelmel

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site

I realize that this phone scratches easily anywhere when on my second day i saw two scratches,one on the bottom right edge on the back of my phone and one in the same spot towards the middle. I didn't know how it happened.My first thought is that the paint coat was falling cause that's how it looks like.I got pissed off and decided to go and buy this:
Zagg Invisible Shield Dry Apply - Nokia Lumia 920 accessories from AT&T

Now you can not see it that much cause the protector cover one of them but the one on the edge is a little visible. So , for the screen and the body i think this is the best way to go.

I just picked up that same Zagg kit at my local AT&T store. It went on great except for one problem - I got distracted when applying the front shield and I applied it upside down (Doh!!!) so it's covering the earpiece. I couldn't help but laugh when I noticed. I'll leave it that way until I get a replacement front shield which I'll order tomorrow. The back side went on perfect and to my surprise is matte. My L920 is white gloss and the fingerprints, though not extremely noticeable, were aplenty. It looks great in matte white.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss