Lumia 920 - Wireless charging issues

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I wanted to add for people having wireless charging issues. IF my phone does not start charging when I put it down on the charging plate if I bang the two together they start charging again. I know its weird but it works.

ruukhaviser

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I can't believe I was so dumb. It seems I placed it correctly - upright - the first time when testing it, but when I moved it to my bedroom I had apparently flipped it upside down. I came back later and the phone hadn't charged. I checked and the light wasn't on. Every other piece of equipment I own usually has a charger and light that comes on when you plug it into the wall, which obviously lets you know it is working. But this charger's LED only comes on WHEN IT IS CHARGING. Kinda strange to me, but whatever. I thought the rubber was to keep the phone from sliding off the charger (RE comments about 920s sliding off desks and sliding around on their own). I guess this is why they have warnings like: "Don't eat the packaging" and "Don't put fingers near fan blade". Hence, maybe they should put a picture showing how you're NOT supposed to position the thing.

Man, I feel stupid; and this coming from someone with a Masters Degree! <facepalm>

LA6507a

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Same thing here, I have a black Lumia 920 and it does work on both our wireless chargers, my wife have a red glossy one and it doesn't charge, the light in the charger turns on but the phone don't start charging (no update on the battery icon, no sound notification, battery still drop)
Hoan,
what was the resolution for your issue? I am having the same problem with my 920 and wireless charger. I contacted Nokia and they told me to send mine back to them for repair.

Has anyone tried opening their 920 to see if there is some sort of issue with the charging contacts? Do you think that I would void my warranty if I opened my phone up to have a look-see before I ship it off?

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Hoan,
what was the resolution for your issue? I am having the same problem with my 920 and wireless charger. I contacted Nokia and they told me to send mine back to them for repair.

Has anyone tried opening their 920 to see if there is some sort of issue with the charging contacts? Do you think that I would void my warranty if I opened my phone up to have a look-see before I ship it off?

Try turning your phone off and then place it on the charger to see if it charges. My first phone would show that it is charging via the light and battery symbol, but it actually drained faster than being off the charger. My second phone had the same problem only once and I powered it off and set it on the charger and it turned back on and started charging normally again.

LA6507a

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for your reply, Mr. Brown. I did try that, actually and it did not work for me. My phone works perfectly fine other than this issue but it is ironic that I have two wireless chargers now that I cannot use a the moment. (I'm not selling them, either! LOL)

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't bee too hard on anyone that has tried to charge upside down. It's a bit of a design issue if that many people are doing it.

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Yes mine will do it as well.

I've been talking with Nokia and MS over twitter and they advised to turn off Bluetooth and make sure no apps are running in the background when wireless charging. There should be an update released sometime this month to fix.

imem

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Sv: Lumia 920 - Wireless charging issues

Mybee it's more battery drain then the charger can charge
Have that issue running Spotify.on my crap phone.HTC XL and charging from my computer at work (but I get a alarm about it)

Soon I'm going to get me a 920

Skickat fr?n min HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e via Tapatalk 2

home4sale2

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: Sv: Lumia 920 - Wireless charging issues

Yes, upside down won't work. Also, I noticed that if your battery or phone rather is on battery saver, the phone wouldn't charge (in that case I plug it into the regular plug). So, the wireless charging only works if the battery is around 10% or more left. My toothbrush does the same sometimes (it has wireless charging too). Oh yes, I did try charging my toothbrush on this flat pad and for a moment it flashed but no cigar...ha, had to try it.

Tony Cooper

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Charger worked for four days then stopped working. Got replacement one hour ago, brought it home, and still doesn't charge phone. Concluded it was phone, and did soft reset (hold volume down + power button down for ten seconds). Still doesn't work. Was going to do hard reset, but don't wanna because I'm thinking that won't solve problem. Are there any other things I can try (testing, etc) before replacing phone? TIA for help here.

Hiro2

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Off the topic: I was told long ago that is it best in general to discharge battery fully before charging it again, with wireless charger constantly on and off, wouldn't it slowly make battery last less?

imem

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Sv: Lumia 920 - Wireless charging issues

Off the topic: I was told long ago that is it best in general to discharge battery fully before charging it again, with wireless charger constantly on and off, wouldn't it slowly make battery last less?

The new batteries have no memory unit in them so are not sensitive to that in the same extend.

Skickat fr?n min HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e via Tapatalk 2

Tony Cooper

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Charger worked for four days then stopped working. Got replacement one hour ago, brought it home, and still doesn't charge phone. Concluded it was phone, and did soft reset (hold volume down + power button down for ten seconds). Still doesn't work. Was going to do hard reset, but don't wanna because I'm thinking that won't solve problem. Are there any other things I can try (testing, etc) before replacing phone? TIA for help here.

UPDATE: Went back to store and they agreed it was a PHONE problem. Within warranty, so AT&T is sending new phone. Should have next week.

sonosp

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 820 previously worked fine on its wireless charger, but today it is refusing to charge. The LED comes on, and the charger can even cause the phone to boot, but it doesn't actually charge.

Have tried rebooting, and power cycling the charger.

Edit: Discovered why - one of the 4 pins that connects the phone to the backplate is stuck in and doesn't spring out, therefore isn't contacting the backplate properly.

Same, worked out how to unstick them?

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sounds weird but slam the two together. When my doesn't charge I do this and you hear the bing and it starts charging.

Tony Cooper

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Hey, btw, AT&T came out with PHONE UPDATE TODAY. Haven't tried wireless charger yet, but it supposedly fixed a number of problems, including the bluetooth issue.

UPDATE: 12/20/12 7:48 EST
Did not fix wireless charger issue. My replacement phone should be here in a day or so.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss