Lumia 920 - Wireless charging issues

Jens R

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I work at a smartphone repair shop, and I own a Lumia 920. I got my wireless charger today, and it didn't work. I took the phone apart, and discovered the charging coil was slightly off center, so it didn't make contact with the pins on the logic board. I moved it a few millimeters, and put the phone back together, and now it works perfectly.

It's a trivial fix, and only requires taking out two torx-5 screws. No other tools required, since you can pop out the display assembly using only your fingers and nails. Not worth waiting several weeks for a replacement.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Drg: If it persists, try disabling WiFi before charging it. Might have nothing to do with it, but...
Mine just did that the one time, afterwards it worked perfectly.

Topit88

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I work at a smartphone repair shop, and I own a Lumia 920. I got my wireless charger today, and it didn't work. I took the phone apart, and discovered the charging coil was slightly off center, so it didn't make contact with the pins on the logic board. I moved it a few millimeters, and put the phone back together, and now it works perfectly.

It's a trivial fix, and only requires taking out two torx-5 screws. No other tools required, since you can pop out the display assembly using only your fingers and nails. Not worth waiting several weeks for a replacement.

Thank you man!
You just saved me few days by not applying a replacement phone. So I had exactly the same issue, phone indicated that it was charging but in reality it was eating the juice out of the phone. So I opened my phone and saw, that one out of those 4 connectors was missing that copper head. I replaced that with something similar and voila, the phone is charging perfectly. Once again, thank you for this advice.

Nick Lucas

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

This.
It seems some workers have been hastily slapping on the wireless charging coil without regard for whether the pins actually align to the pad.
This video helped me a lot:

Nokia Lumia 920 Disassembly & Assembly - Screen & Case Replacement - YouTube

With a little heat from a hairdryer the coil came away really easily, and i found reseating it as close to the lens as possible made my charging work.
You can check the alignment of the pins as you re-attach the back though by looking down the length of the phone too.

But yeah. Problem solved. Shoddy workmanship.

ttxzee

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
there are two little "poles" on the case that would go through the little holes on the coil plate

Last edited:

Giles R DeMourot

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I have the plate. It charges, but ho so slowly! Actually all it does it maintain the charge at its current level, ie it charges at about the same rate as normal discharge when the phone is on. Disapponting, considering the price.

adinos

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
@Topit88 and @Nick Lucas: works great - 2 minutes work - our Lumia 920 wireless charging works, my wife is happy :)

The coil was only 1 millimeter aside - your solution is amazing :)

xbilly

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Looks like I have the coil displacement issue. Dropped the phone a week or so ago and wireless charging hasn't worked since... :(

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
When I moved my charging pillow to another room I began having issues. Sometimes the phone would seem to drain and at times it would make random pling-sounds by itself as if I had just set it down on the charger.

So I took the pad out and stuck it back in again. Seems like if it's the tiniest bit askew inside then it won't charge steadily, and with a six months old phone that loses about one percent of battery every ten or so minutes when not in use, it will give the illusion of being drained when on the charger. For a couple of hours. If it isn't actually charging.

The reason why I moved the pillow was that I got a second charger, a stand on my dresser. It could be that setting up the phone for this charging stand, like you need to do, makes charging on other devices wonkier. Just speculating.

22Kaiser22

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Stick to the Micro USB cable. Throw away your wireless base station charger. Trust me on this, if you know what a relay is then you will understand why the phone is getting HOT and why the battery drains relatively faster than normal.

Solution power off your phone. Unplug wireless base station. Power on phone, stick to your micro USB charger.

Enjoy

Benny Vallejo

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
@Topit88 @Nick Lucas and @adinos...Thank you guys. I had been looking everywhere for a solution to why my phone was "charging" but actually draining my battery. I even ordered a replacement coil with no luck. After taking your advice to re-seat the coil to line up with the pins, (took two tries) it's working like a charm!! And, i was about to send it in to AT&T. Easy fix. Thanks once again. :wink:

kjk411

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
did you ever get an answer to the every 5 second chime indicating the Nokia is connecting to the wireless power? We get that intermittently and it is annoying. Usually picking it up and resetting it makes it go away. There is no commonality to how the phone is placed when it occurs. What is even more interesting is sometimes it is once every 10-15 seconds, other times it can be once every 10 minutes. Annoying really.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I've had this happen before and its now happened again. I think the cause may be that the wireless charging heats up the coil and then if you drop it shortly after it misaligns because the sticky part is more fluid. Did you do anything special to slide the plate? I put it on the wireless charging plate again to try to heat it up, then will be moving it again. I'm fairly sure it'll eventually get out of alignment again though.

Nevermind, I just noted where on the electronics pads the pins had been touching and moved the pins themselves. On the screen side of the lumia 920 half on those four metal squares I noted one dot per square that showed where the pins touched. Sure enough all four were exactly on the edge. So I bent all four sideways a little to center them better and now it works. For how long we'll see. Be GENTLE everyone.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss