Nokia DT-900 Wireless charging plate is not a power vampire! Thanks Nokia!

meathead88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
So me being a efficiency freak hooked my new Nokia DT-900 charging plate up to my Kill-a-Watt and did some quick tests.

Surprisingly NO, as in 0.0, Watts, Volts or Amps registered until I put my 920 down on the plate!

So good news, don't worry about leaving them plugged in all the time.

No how many more should buy? ;)

Seriously, Nokia is doing an excellent job here. They have really thought of everything for this round of phones, I'm impressed.
WP_20121122_005.jpg

Last edited:

Braumin

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Wow that's pretty amazing because if you even just left the wall wart plugged in on most phones it would draw something. Nicely done Nokia!

Brent920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
That's pretty damn impressive, I was going to do exactly them same test when my plate turns up.

How much power does it draw whilst charging?

Oh, and once fully charged, with the phone still on the plate, how much is it then?

If someone replicates you 0.0KWh then there's going to be a lot of incredibly impressed people.

meathead88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
$40. I think its saved a lot as its helped make decisions like in this case.
If my tests came back that these plates did suck juice, I would know i have to unplug them all the time, which would be a pain.

Biggest saving ever was using on PC to get my sleep settings perfect. That took a while, though...

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Wait.

You're saying something positive?

I'm confused. Surely you didn't come to this forum to post something positive? Come on, tell us what's really going on.

Was the launch of the charging plate a disaster? Does it get too warm? Is the shade of black not to your liking? There must be something to complain about here otherwise the mods are going to have to lock this thread.

Ekin Koc

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
If you have time, could you check this;

- Phone gets 100% charge. Charging stops. So, you should read 0 again on the device. (I assume)
- Pick up the phone and lay it back down immediately. No matter how many times you do this in series, the charger lights up for a good 3-4 minutes. I'm curious if it pumps electricity at that point.

The reason is that I have the charger on my desk and I pick my phone up a lot, then put it back. I wanted to see if it is overcharging battery by pushing some juice each time I lay it down. You have the perfect equipment to see that :)

Thanks.

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
If you have time, could you check this;

- Phone gets 100% charge. Charging stops. So, you should read 0 again on the device. (I assume)
- Pick up the phone and lay it back down immediately. No matter how many times you do this in series, the charger lights up for a good 3-4 minutes. I'm curious if it pumps electricity at that point.

The reason is that I have the charger on my desk and I pick my phone up a lot, then put it back. I wanted to see if it is overcharging battery by pushing some juice each time I lay it down. You have the perfect equipment to see that :)

Thanks.

As long as the device is on there it won't read zero, as even once you get to a full charge it'll still push enough power to keep the device running without using battery power.

It probably takes a good 3-5 minutes for 1% for the last few percent of battery charge, as intelligent li-ion chargers will charge to ~70% rapidly and then progressively slower, as this helps to maintain the usable life of the battery (li-ion batteries are ridiculously sensitive). That's probably why you're seeing the charger jump on for such a seemingly long time when you drop the device back on after only a few minutes use

meathead88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok, my killawatt reads 0 watts when the 920 is off the charger, 7-8 when on the charger and charging and then 4-5 when fully charged.

Brent920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Charging cost (8W) = 0.1p per hour

Idle cost (5W) = 0.07p per hour

Phone not on charger = 0.00...

Basically way less than a penny a day for normal use.

LibbyJax

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I do not currently own a DT-900 but I am thinking about it and this seems to be good news for the power-conscious among us. Thank you for this.

SirCody,
One thing I've read about the DT-900 is that it has a low power magnet that holds the device in place when set on the stand. Could the 0 power reading be due to the fact that the magnet triggers a switch which then powers the device only when it is present on the stand? Just a thought.

-LibbyJax

Droid DNA
Nexus 7

Gurggles

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I know, I promised to test the DT-910 a month ago but here we go.

I tested the DT-910, the vertical stand with NFC and after 24 hours I showed only .01 KW/H used. During this trial I never charged a phone, I only wanted to see how much power it would use in between charges. Later today I hope to try testing my phone on it to see what kind of power drain to expect. The goal is to see how much energy becomes heat while charging.
WP_20130604_004.jpg

Gurggles

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I use my Kil-a-watt to test everything in my apartment and to understand how different settings on devices change the power consumption. While I cannot say flat out how much it has saved me, it does allow me to understand the status of my tech habit.

Having reptiles on the other hand has helped greatly. I have done energy studies on different ways to keep their respective enclosures heated and have saved about $100 over 3 years. Not the quickest turn around but results are results.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3