Disaster of a launch...

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've been saying this but getting eviscerated by the apologists...the launch is a disaster and whoever predicted the demand at Nokia needs to be fired.

vantil

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Reports are saying that Apple is finally catching up to orders placed weeks ago. So if this is a disaster for Nokia, I guess all those previous 5 or so launches of Iphones were train-wrecks too....
True dat.

Seriously though, it's a disaster for people having to wait for phone, but not for Nokia.
Smartphones are "supposed" to be sold out during first month!
If they had enough prodution power to exhaust demand during first month after flagship launch, they would have way too much prodution rest of the year.

So why don't they launch with bigger stock, you may ask?
Because that would mean delaying the launch date until mid december, and that would be a horrible idea.
Atleast now people know that they can get the phone before christmas. That's what's important. That makes them wait.

ksj1

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I really don't understand why everyone is beating on Nokia about the launch. If AT&T, for example, ordered 5000 for launch and Nokia delivered them 5000 then the problem is with AT&T, not Nokia. And knowing how large companies work, someone at the AT&T warehouse can't call up Nokia and say "quick, send us another 10,000". A purchase order needs to be created, approved and sent to Nokia, who then will ship the phones. That takes time. At a company like AT&T I suspect it takes over a week just to get the PO to Nokia approved, with multiple levels of managers needing to approve before it goes out.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Horrible colossal epic disaster of biblical proportions!!!

Oh wait, that's right, I just walked into the store on launch day and bought one and walked out.

Never mind.

DungMasterFang

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
From WMPoweruser:

Clove UK team tweeted the following about the sales of Lumia 920,
"To say Lumia 920 stock has been selling like hotcakes this afternoon would be just a bit of an understatement #flyingoffthevirtualshelves"

Amazon:
This item is currently unavailable

Due to tremendous demand we?re currently out of stock of this item and are unsure when more will be available.

tehtog

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. I was on orange for two years (now EE) and couldn't leave them soon enough. I could live with the occasionally poor coverage but when they switched to EE it was so much worse.To make matters worse, when I went to renew my contract the only 'offer' I was given on the L920 was 60% more for the same contract (and the phone I had before was the same RRP as the 920) AND I pay ?40 for the phone. This wasn't the LTE network, this was 3G only. Needless to say I canceled on the spot.

Worse still, I'd happily settle for a Lumia 820 but there's no gorilla glass which makes it a deal breaker for me. The UK doesn't have any other variations with Gorilla glass like the operator specific models the US has.

I want to switch to Vodaphone but they just don't have a suitable phone. To their credit it's not their fault they don't have the 920. Nokia selected EE on account of their LTE/4G network and they only got that because of the combined size of the Orange/T-Mobile merger. Vodaphone won't have any news until atleast Feburary (on new models) and if the US deals are anything to go by the 920 could be EE exclusive until May. At which point a second round of Nokia phones could be hitting the market.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I've been saying this but getting eviscerated by the apologists...the launch is a disaster and whoever predicted the demand at Nokia needs to be fired.

The carriers predict demand in their own markets and then place an order with Nokia.

And that "apologist" word comes out? Really? LoL.

Oh no! The "apologists" are disagreeing with me!! It's a global conspiracy from the 1%!

Onerunjunior

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The comparison with Apple isn't valid in any way. There's a difference between being sold out, and not having stock or knowing when you'll get any. Nokia simply screwed up because there aren't very many places that recieved any phones at all. Apple sells out because they make as many as they can and they all get sold, Nokia didn't make enough for the first few days sale. Literally every AT&T store within 20 miles of me had no clue when they were getting any color in stock, and none of them had more than about 10 for sale total on launch day. This launch is an utter failure between no stock (not high demand), and limited number of carriers. Not providing product and limiting available carriers will make damn sure both Nokia and Microsoft continue to be the laughing stock of the mobile phone industry. I really want a 920, but I can't get the color I want, and AT&T can't tell me when to come back because they have no clue when they'll get any because they simply don't know. Now that I'm hearing that email tones can't be changed and per contact custom SMS tones can't be set I'm becoming much less enthused about the platform. Not to mention the store model I played with hard locked three times in 20 minutes. That's completely inexcusable.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Carriers determine what expected demand will be.

It seems like that point has been really really hard for people to understand.

Onerunjunior

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Carriers determine what expected demand will be.

It seems like that point has been really really hard for people to understand.

What part about no AT&T store within 20 miles of me had any idea when they were getting them, what color, and how many do you not understand? That particular carrier didn't have a clue on what they were going to get. I even called AT&T support and they had no clue either. If there's reported shortages on all carriers worldwide, that points to Nokia being the problem, especially since people are reporting quality issues as well.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Or the carriers substantially underestimated demand worldwide, which is what Nokia based their production on. And even if the production is on the optimistic side, depending on where they're shipping from, that have to be packaged, shipped, and clear customs in most cases. Another thing to remember is the percentage of people having issues may seem high, but you never really hear from people who are happy with the product. Working in customer service, the number of problems are probably in the 2-5% range, which is pretty standard for any new products.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Read the first post. UK. Do you know where that is? :)

Iozkz.gif

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The carriers predict demand in their own markets and then place an order with Nokia.And that "apologist" word comes out? Really? LoL. Oh no! The "apologists" are disagreeing with me!! It's a global conspiracy from the 1%!
if you make excuses for Nokia (like you are) then yeah if the shoe fits..people here are complaining about sim free phones not being available...thats not a carrier issue. If you have the cash Nokia should be able to supply you a phone.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

The launch is only a disaster if you didn't get what you wanted when you wanted it.

This was no different than any other product launch for a very popular item. There are shortages.

The reason people freaked out is that the product was announced way in advance of the launch and a specific date wasn't given until the 11th hour. That built up a lot of demand and pissed people off who just wanted to know when it was coming out.

A disaster? Hardly. They are selling a ton of phones. Most of them work just fine and their owner are happy. An internet forum where people come to complain is hardly an accurate gauge of how successful the product and it's launch was.

PhantomNZ

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The launch is only a disaster if you didn't get what you wanted when you wanted it.

This was no different than any other product launch for a very popular item. There are shortages.

The reason people freaked out is that the product was announced way in advance of the launch and a specific date wasn't given until the 11th hour. That built up a lot of demand and pissed people off who just wanted to know when it was coming out.

A disaster? Hardly. They are selling a ton of phones. Most of them work just fine and their owner are happy. An internet forum where people come to complain is hardly an accurate gauge of how successful the product and it's launch was.

What about all the people who live outside of the USA or the UK? Other countries aren't getting stock because suppliers (aka Nokia) can't keep up with demand. We can't just go and buy an AT&T or EE locked phone and use it, it won't work. We can't switch to AT&T or EE because they don't exist for us. The phones have launched in other countries yet no one can buy them. If they can buy them, they're only available in black.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Actually we have no idea how many phones they sold or made. However if we hear they only sold a few hundred thousand this quarter, investors will punish them into bankruptcy. The better move at least a million 920s or they are done.

ksj1

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
What part about no AT&T store within 20 miles of me had any idea when they were getting them, what color, and how many do you not understand? That particular carrier didn't have a clue on what they were going to get. I even called AT&T support and they had no clue either. If there's reported shortages on all carriers worldwide, that points to Nokia being the problem, especially since people are reporting quality issues as well.

What part of AT&T needs to order them from Nokia before they are delivered do you not understand? And no, AT&T support isn't going to say "we screwed up and didn't order enough to meet the demand we're seeing". Furthermore, it's very unlikely that AT&T "support" has any visibility into the purchasing and expected delivery from a supplier. Separate department entirely.

inteller said:
if you make excuses for Nokia (like you are) then yeah if the shoe fits..people here are complaining about sim free phones not being available...thats not a carrier issue. If you have the cash Nokia should be able to supply you a phone.

Why is it so hard to understand that someone needs to order a sufficient quantity from Nokia for them to be available for sale? If your local retailer didn't order enough then that simply isn't Nokia's fault. And I am not making "excuses" for Nokia. If you made some product and some company ordered 10 but ended up with demand for 50, is it your fault the company didn't order enough from you? Would you simply send more out without a purchase order?

You realize that you're not buying directly from Nokia, don't you? If you went to a Nokia store and they didn't have them in stock you would have a point, but you're not and you don't.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte