Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

So during thanksgiving dinner, I was showing a family member who is considering leaving the iPhone my 920. To show how much sharper my screen was than theirs, we both loaded the desktop version of NYTimes.com well, I was surprised to see on the iPhone the text is all sharper and more readable, despite the 920 having a larger screen and higher ppi. Is this related to how WP renders fonts compared to iOS?

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I have a 4s and the text on the 929 is definitely better, especially websites since you can see nearly the entire website without having to zoom out cause of the bigger screen. The 920 also, in my opinion, has more legible text. Your website might have loaded incorrectly

Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Yeap that's the sad true. As much as I hate apple. They did good on the 4s
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eortizr View Post
    Yeap that's the sad true. As much as I hate apple. They did good on the 4s
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    the 920 has a higher dpi than the 4. I just checked and the 920 definitely has a one up when comparing screens

Safari uses a different font than L920's. I think Safari's is less serifed than the IE's

Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    I am a long time iphone user and switched from a iphone 5 to a black 920.. the screen is much nicer on the lumia.. part of the things you and other people may think is less quality on the lumia is that apps etc need better programming to render the quality the screen can display better

You guys are crazy. I've been a long time user of iPhones and have been struggling to get used to the glass on the 920. The text looks fine but you can scroll it underneath the "grain" of the glass. It must be the polarization of the glass itself or something? Like pull up a site with just a white background. White is NOT white on this phone. Its gray and dusty. You can also see the glass "grain" that I'm talking about. It helps to have a 4,4s or 5 in your other hand to really see what I'm talking about. And its not just a defect or anything like that in mine. Its on all the att display models and a friends 920. The ppi is great, but the glass ontopncauses distortion or grittyness. I've described it as having oils or skin grease on the glass of an iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Kailburn View Post
    You guys are crazy. I've been a long time user of iPhones and have been struggling to get used to the glass on the 920. The text looks fine but you can scroll it underneath the "grain" of the glass. It must be the polarization of the glass itself or something? Like pull up a site with just a white background. White is NOT white on this phone. Its gray and dusty. You can also see the glass "grain" that I'm talking about. It helps to have a 4,4s or 5 in your other hand to really see what I'm talking about. And its not just a defect or anything like that in mine. Its on all the att display models and a friends 920. The ppi is great, but the glass ontopncauses distortion or grittyness. I've described it as having oils or skin grease on the glass of an iPhone.

That still doesn't explain why the 920 screen looks better. Even the most hateful 920 reviews had nothing but praise for the screen.

Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Kailburn View Post
    what do you have the brightness set on? i have min on auto, when it dims down it looks kinda grainyish, but thats only the screen being so dim.. pop it on medium or high and it wipes out all hit of "grain" your talking about

I have both, and can confirm that the retina display is sharper/crisper on the iphone, but the 920 definitely has better more vibrant colors.

Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Personally, I prefer the font rendering on Apple devices over that of Windows devices. My iPhone is dead now so I can't compare, but I do generally prefer it's font renderer. Having said that, I really don't see it as a huge deal. To a certain point, "sharpness" is very subjective and what we're debating here is the way each company decided to display fonts.
    Microsoft Store employee; opinions are mine.

I'm on the Twitters.

The screen of Lumia 920 is better than iPhone 5 | News, Tips and Apps for Mobile

Take that for what you what you will. You'll be hard pressed to find anything that states otherwise.

I don't disagree that the L920 has the better screen, but as someone mentioned, when comparing nytimes.com on an "retina" display on an iPhone produces sharper text than the higher DPI and superior L920 screen. Hopefully they eventually use a font that renders on these 300+ppi displays better..

Quote Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post
    I don't disagree that the L920 has the better screen, but as someone mentioned, when comparing nytimes.com on an "retina" display on an iPhone produces sharper text than the higher DPI and superior L920 screen. Hopefully they eventually use a font that renders on these 300+ppi displays better..

You do realize that "Retina Display" is nothing more that marketing. It doesn't exist. It's just what Apple decided to call their "HD" screen. By Apples own definition of "Retina" (high PPI) , both the 920 and 8X have better "Retina" displays than their own Retina display.

GUYS IT'S THE FREAKING FONT, just wait until Chrome (hopefully) gets released for WP8 because IE is seriously lacking. Mine also has troubles saving login information and passwords
    Thanked by:
    socialcarpet likes this.

Global Posts
    671 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MaulerX View Post
    You do realize that "Retina Display" is nothing more that marketing. It doesn't exist. It's just what Apple decided to call their "HD" screen. By Apples own definition of "Retina" (high PPI) , both the 920 and 8X have better "Retina" displays than their own Retina display.
    Agreed. Just like how the 920 is PureMotion HD+.

How is this an issue at all?

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    I know the Tem puremotion hd+ is a marketing term but doesn't the lumia have a higher refresh rate then most screens on phones?

Guys, the lumia920 display is definitely and noticeabley better. HOWEVER, iphone has better font rendering in safari. Been using iphones since iphone OG

Quote Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
    I know the Tem puremotion hd+ is a marketing term but doesn't the lumia have a higher refresh rate then most screens on phones?

The screen of Lumia 920 is better than iPhone 5 | News, Tips and Apps for Mobile

Correct. The 920 screen was tested (in a lab) and proven to be 2.5 faster than the iPhone 5.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaqueh View Post
    GUYS IT'S THE FREAKING FONT, just wait until Chrome (hopefully) gets released for WP8 because IE is seriously lacking. Mine also has troubles saving login information and passwords
    Amen.

sorry what I was describing above in the first post is not the actual rendering of the font, or the PPI. My issue is with the glass.

We compared the iPhone 4 and 5 and the L920 yesterday and even the Apple fanboys agreed that the L920 had a better screen with clearer text and better colors...

Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    It's
    a
    phone
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpueblo View Post
    It's
    a
    phone
    Nope, it's a mobile computer with phone capabilities.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast