Should have bought an iphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilgore walleye

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
OK here we go:

• An alternate definition of troll is "someone who posts honest and legitimate criticisms using their real life experiences, in a forum with a large proportion of people who jump at the chance to make excuses for their chosen device, political party, etc." This second group of people are known as fanboys, or ideologues.
  • I'm not some kind of apple fanatic, it's the only smartphone I've had (like millions of other people) so it's the only phone I have to form the basis of an opinion on. I was in fact dissatisfied with it, hence the purchase of the 920.
  • Yes it's my first post...I've only had the phone for 14 days
  • Yes battery life sucks on most phones. My 2 year old iphone got me through the workday with at least 50% battery life. 920 gets me to about 20%; ie, not long enough to do anything after work. You say: "charge it at work". I say "why should I have to? and what if I go camping or hiking or on vacation? The great maps will be useless if it costs me 25% of my battery life to get directions driving or using public transit to get there"
  • you're right, 4 gazillion of the 5 gazillion iphone apps are garbage. But that still leaves 1 gazillion good ones. I wouldn't say the WP8 ratio is much better than that either, but unfortunately it doesn't have the benefits of a large population sample.
  • Yes it's my fault I dropped the phone. No I should not receive condescending tech support.
  • Phone insurance is for suckers. $12 a month to insure your phone, or whatever it costs these days? After a year of the insurance you could pay for most of the repairs yourself through the saving of the premiums.
  • Yes apple does replace phones as a courtesy. they were nice enough to do it once for me, and I didn't have apple care. There's nothing forcing Nokia to do the same. They're a for-profit corporation and their policies are their own. Hence there is one possible conclusion to draw: Apples customer service is too generous. How is that a loss for the consumer though?
  • In Nokias defense, they never said the phone was indestructible. That was everybody around here showing videos of people trying to destroy the phone in various ways.
  • I did know about the app gap, and after checking which apps I actually used and which ones were available in the windows store, I was confident that I could switch without a problem. For the most part, everything I need is here. I don't really need WWF, but if it's there why shouldn't I be able to use it to play a casual game? And better yet, why should I make an excuse for an app rather than voice a valid criticism? Evernote is another disappointment. Onenote is a great app, but it doesn't have the integration with other services that evernote has. An easy way for MS to mitigate this would be to create an email address for each users onenote account. That way, any app that allows sharing via email (basically all apps that share) would have a way to share with onenote

Things I like about windows phone:

• fantastic music apps like mixtapes, nokia music, etc.
  • metro ui
  • live tiles (although more apps could stand to make use of them, and some apps do not seem to update the livetile as they should)
  • start screen, pinning, etc.
  • have MOST of the apps that I normally use
  • very fast OS
  • very fast web browser
  • skydrive integration
  • social integration (i've gone from nonexistent on facebook to very active, due to the simplicity and cohesiveness of it's integration in the OS)

I'm NOT apologizing to anyone here, but it wasn't my intention come off as offensive. What I've laid down are valid criticisms. More importantly, they're the things that people like me who come over here from another platform experience. PRECISELY the people that you WANT to come over to this platform. To blindly tear down any form of criticism, and worse yet to make excuses for the valid ones, is entirely counterproductive. I just hope the people at Microsoft, nokia, htc, etc. don't have the same mentality.

SteveISU

Sep 26, 2006
Visit site
Apple is not as generous about replacing the screen since they offered apple care plus.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Hypetrak

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
OK here we go:

• An alternate definition of troll is "someone who posts honest and legitimate criticisms using their real life experiences, in a forum with a large proportion of people who jump at the chance to make excuses for their chosen device, political party, etc." This second group of people are known as fanboys, or ideologues.

You just made that up.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
[/LIST]

You just made that up.

Yes he did. I wasn't going to point that out but want to get some dialog going with him first. A Google quoted search of part of the text only pointed me to WPC (which in reality, impressed the living **** out me. How did Google crawl this so quickly???)

Hammered Pizza

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
  • Yes battery life sucks on most phones. My 2 year old iphone got me through the workday with at least 50% battery life. 920 gets me to about 20%; ie, not long enough to do anything after work. You say: "charge it at work". I say "why should I have to? and what if I go camping or hiking or on vacation? The great maps will be useless if it costs me 25% of my battery life to get directions driving or using public transit to get there"

This doesn't sound all that normal. How long is your trip into work? How often are you using your phone at work - and what are you using it for?

If you have to go camping - the charging pack is useful for a shorter trip, along with conserving battery by turning off WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC, and enabling battery saver mode. If you're going for longer, do what I do and take a dumb phone with you. Frustrating though it may seem, they just go on and on in terms of battery life.

And others, please stop the name calling. It's immature and adds nothing to the thread at all.
This is a forum, try to be a little more inclusive and actually listen to the OP, rather than dismissing anything he says out of hand.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
In regards to the battery, maybe you got a faulty phone. I've been reading similar reports on here. Maybe hit up the Nokia corporate, Stephen Elop or whoever and have them send you a new one. As for the apps you need to hit up the developers about that.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
If his first post was less vitriol most of us wouldn't react so. His second post, aside from the first part laid out his concerns and issues in a reasonable manner. Overreacting on both sides yes. Most of us are willing to help when someone approaches with a concern, but when it looks as if you only joined to make one post bashing (and this goes on all forums) you come across as a troll instead of someone with legitimate problems.

I work in customer service, and if you called in and went off on a rant like that I would basically tune you out until you stopped venting and actually started making sense.

Just something to consider.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
This doesn't sound all that normal. How long is your trip into work? How often are you using your phone at work - and what are you using it for?

If you have to go camping - the charging pack is useful for a shorter trip, along with conserving battery by turning off WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC, and enabling battery saver mode. If you're going for longer, do what I do and take a dumb phone with you. Frustrating though it may seem, they just go on and on in terms of battery life.

And others, please stop the name calling. It's immature and adds nothing to the thread at all.
This is a forum, try to be a little more inclusive and actually listen to the OP, rather than dismissing anything he says out of hand.

HP, I appreciate your understanding of Pats, but I am also a logical person who tries to analyze all aspects of a situation. We have a person who admits they came to WP from iOS as it was a 'good value'. The person doesn't specify why they thought WP8 was a good value, but they do claim they were frustrated by their iPhone ("So here's to two more years of assured frustration").

So now we know pats was frustrated and not satisfied with the iPhone. He/she tried a 920 and claim it had bad battery life and was of poor build. I can say the battery life was bad until I tweaked my settings (to settings I felt should have been set by default to off). Now it's great.

As to their assertion the screen cracked, well, my 920 is built like a tank, as I have seen with two friends with 920s. Mine is like brand new. No squeaks, shakes, rattles, burps, or farts.

Next he/she claims a miniscule app selection. I ask from what? the iPhone with its bloated fart app and notes library? I use the apps on my 920 more than I ever did on my Evo Shift or 3GS. And integrated social rocks.

If pat is really an iPhone user who is frustrated and not satisfied with the iPhone as he/she claims then try Android next. It's not a bad mobile OS. And it can't be worse that what he admits was a frustrating OS he had in the first place.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
So anyone who doesn't like Windows Phone automatically becomes a troll? Why? Is this OS made and designed by God that if for some reason you don't like it it means you're an idiot or a troll?

No, but when a person has a sum total of two posts and uses them to make claims that apply equally to other products; lies about Apple's repair policy; makes false claims regarding Nokia advertising (e.g., indestructible); touts another product (and OS); and spews hostility from start to finish that seems rather troll-like. BTW, if Apple really replaces user damaged iPhones free of charge, I would love to know why so many vendors around Phoenix post the price for replacing broken iPhone screens.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I too switched from an iPhone after 3 years. I live wp8 and really like my Lumia 920 . I just hope for a camera update and some better games
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

AMERICANRAJ

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
First get the butter off your fingers. Why did you drop it from 3 feet? the minimum is 50 ft, so next time drop it from the second floor. And lastly, tell the one person you know not to buy the Lumina! I know why you dropped it, you must be a girly man. ha ha. Sorry for being a bully.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
this is just wrong. a person that is trolling false stuff. that apple doesn't even do. just by his name he's trolling and his lies. he's a troll.

Moderator please close this thread this is just trolling with lies.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
This thread is an embarrassment to the WPCentral. I am taking not of everybody in this thread that can't or wont post in a civil manner.

Thread Closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb