Attention! Possible Lumia 920 design defect

Ken1ceo

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I have the exact same issue with my son's black 920. I have a white one and don't have a problem at all. Should we call Nokia and send it back?

Ben Lehtovaara

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
My wife's Lumia 920 had this issue. Took it back to the store and showed the guy I bought it from, comparing it to my Lumia 920. He agreed it was clearly a manufacturer defect and switched it for a new unit.

I also switched my lumia 920 because the proximity sensor was buggered up. When I would make an outgoing call the screen would turn off before I lifted it to my ear and would not reactivate. I had no way to end a call.

Its a bit unfortunate that there are clearly manufacturing defects here but its not like Nokia is the only one ... cough antenna gate ... cough cough iPhone 5 aluminum that dents when you look at it wrong...

Bhagi108

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My AT&T black L920 has this defect which I became aware of after reading this post. Personally it doesn't border me since that part of the phone doesn't have a button for me to touch there all the time.
Since there is nothing to be done about it, it will be "out-of-sight-out-of-mine".
The phone is almost perfect in its own way and asking for more is desiring way too much.

koldmiser

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Is it just me or do the phones in the pictures and the video look like they've been put through the ringer? The first one looks like someone shave part of the front off, and the one in the video looks like someone sandpapered the screen.

Shap2012

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes they are. Coming from iPhones, I'm shocked at how many little flaws the 920 has. Apple clearly has OCD people test their products before leaving the factory and Nokia doesnt sadly..

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Mine is not as bad as the video's one but I do notice it. However I do not have dust under my screen so I am not too concerned yet.

I Unquello

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
This is a defect.

I've had a few conversations with Nokia quality (including Mr. Elop, himself) about this issue.

You can see my other post (My Email to Stephen Elop and response!) for more details.

To those who are saying "no big deal," I understand. It's not a big deal in the long run. However, as a mechanical engineer, I'm concerned with quality, and I feel that Nokia should want to know about an issue like this (which they very much do).

The entire top portion of the chassis is loose. If you press on the top above the Nokia (fairly gently, actually), the chassis flexes. You can see it flexing. Eventually, the whole top flexes and it flexes when you pick it up by the sides. This is after about 3 days usage, no hits, drops, or shocks of any kind.

I'm on my third 920. This one has been perfect so far. Also, it doesn't get nearly as hot as the first two. I'm fairly convinced that the excessive heat (uncomfortable to hold) is related to the chassis issue. On top of the chassis issue, there's some kind of minor screen delamination going on around the earpiece. I had that on the first two, as well.

tl;dr

Nokia is aware of and concerned with this issue and is working on a response.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
all due to different plants making them and it being a new device launch. I had 7 Blackberry Bold 9900's at launch and all of them had different defects (raised menu panel, squeaky trackpad, mute display color etc)... RIM however took ownership of the situation and gave me a free Bold and a free playbook.

BLKahuna

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Yup, I've got this same problem with my Black 920. Really, it doesn't lessen what a great phone this is or reduce it's usability. However, I frequently pick the phone up with one finger on the top and one finger on the bottom and it makes a very audible "crackle" when I do it. As such, my phone is just short of perfect.

nizzon

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes they are. Coming from iPhones, I'm shocked at how many little flaws the 920 has. Apple clearly has OCD people test their products before leaving the factory and Nokia doesnt sadly..

How can you have missed all the complaints about iPhone5's coming scratched out of the box, chips in the crome edge etc?

JammyGitz

Banned
Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
My black one creaks and there's dust on the front camera, taking it back today, hopefully they won't ***** about the headphones which I've lost

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo