Attention! Possible Lumia 920 design defect

Tetegra

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I got my black Lumia 920 on Nov 12. Two days ago, when I was holding my 920, I noticed that the top of shell was not attached very well to the body. The shell makes some kind of clicking noise when I press it. So I went to at&t store today and show the rep my phone. Another rep stand next to him has a yellow Lumia 920, and he press the top of his phone, guess what, his phone has the same problem! They went to the sample phone on the shelf, and guess what, that phone has the same problem, again! One of the guy told me to call him on monday to solve this problem. So EVERYONE, please try press the top of your phone to see if you have the same problem! If you are getting a new 920, please check the phone before walking out of the store, if you think this problem will bother you. Sorry for the bad English, not my native language.

Update: I just changed my black Lumia 920 to a white one this morning before I went to work. The rep in the store insisted to charge me 35 bucks restocking fee because, as he said, this is a cosmetic problem, although not caused by the buyer, is not included in the free exchange/return policy. So I called 611 and the rep in the phone agreed to credit my next bill for 35 bucks to make this even. Finally, I changed the phone with zero cost, mathematically. Happy with my white Lumia 920.

Last edited:

glassadam

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I suppose I should mention that I have a white 920, should colors make a difference. But yeah, mine clicks. Wish I'd never read this thread, I probably would have never noticed. ;)

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Are you talking about the door for the SIM card and the area near it? Because if you are, I think almost everyone is going to find that "defect" LOL

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
No. What I mean is the top of the phone, the surface which the headphone jack is located.

The headphone jack which is directly next to the SIM card door, the only opening of that size with a door on the entire case, thereby the point where there would be the most flex?

Tetegra

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The headphone jack which is directly next to the SIM card door, the only opening of that size with a door on the entire case, thereby the point where there would be the most flex?

the sim card tray door is not flex, the whole frame around the door is separated from the body, I could see a little gap between the body and the upper part of the frame. The gap could be closed by pressing the top of the phone.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
There is no separate 'top of the shell' from the 920 'body'. It's a single polycarbonate frame with no visible separation at the top and solid as heck.Please describe what you are talking about more clearly or I am once again throwing the 'Sad Troll' card on a post.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
There is no separate 'top of the shell' from the 920 'body'. It's a single polycarbonate frame with no visible separation at the top and solid as heck.Please describe what you are talking about more clearly or I am once again throwing the 'Sad Troll' card on a post.

Seriously. What's next? People running the phone under an electron microscope and complaining because the surface looks rough under 100,000x magnification?

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not even going to look. This is a pointless post, quit obsessing over every possible flaw, you will undoubtedly keep finding them. These phones are designed and made by humans.

Every time I read one of these posts I wonder if iPhone and Android fans are this OCD as well.

Ezence01

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I have a Cyan 920 and this flex has been bothering me a lot since I noticed it when it arrived last week. I haven't contacted AT&T about it because I figured they wouldn't have a replacement for me yet and I thought I'd get used to it with time. Well I'm on my second week now and it still bothers me, so it looks like I'll make a call soon.

Tetegra

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
On my phone, the at&t rep's phone and the phone on the shelf of at&t store, the "single polycarbonate frame with no visible separation at the top" now is separated from the main body of the phone. I'm not trolling, I could provide a comparison pic to show the problem, if you insist.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
My Lumia 900 had the same problem till I exchanged it. Thankfully my 920 doesn't have this problem. This is probably due to screen being loose. It's a quality defect and you should exchange.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
On my phone, the at&t rep's phone and the phone on the shelf of at&t store, the "single polycarbonate frame with no visible separation at the top" now is separated from the main body of the phone. I'm not trolling, I could provide a comparison pic to show the problem, if you insist.

I think the pic would help everyone

ksj1

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have yet to see a picture that shows some sort of separation at the top of the phone. Would someone who has this problem please post an image? All I've seen is links to someone else who claims to have the same problem, notably without any images either...

Mine is clearly a single piece of poly and I'd be surprised if it could possibly separate the way it's been described in this thread and others. My 900 has the same build quality and has been dropped 3' on concrete with nothing more than a small mark on the corner. And I do mean small.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte