Nokia Wireless Charging Stand fail

bsd107

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I just received my Nokia Wireless Charging Stand, Nokia model number DT-910, in the mail from AT&T. I am NOT talking about the free wireless pad that AT&T offers - I bought my Lumia 920 from the Microsoft Store on the first day of availability (and therefore missed out on the free charging pad, the Black Friday discount match from AT&T, etc.). But I ordered the Charging Stand from AT&T about a week ago and it arrived yesterday.

The charging stand seems to charge the phone and works fine. I do like how it stands the phone up for easy use while sitting there.

Cosmetically, the stand looks very nice - it's black and has a proprietary black cord. However, the wall AC adapter, which is not USB, is rediculously huge, and it is white, despite the charging stand and cord being black. To be fair, the outside of the box this came in shows a white stand and cord on the front, but on the rear it shows a black stand and cord being plugged into a white AC adapter. However, there is no way to know this ordering online, and, frankly, it is really lazy to drop a big amount of money on what is a glorifed charger and not have all the pieces match in color.

But my main gripe is that the NFC functionality fails to work on the phone end. When I tap the phone to the charging stand, I do get the NFC "Recieve content" popup. When I press "Accept", the "Charging Stand" app which shows a drawing of the DT-910 pops up to the "set up" page. The progress dots keep going across the top of the screen, and it is waiting for me to choose a "Tap to open" application from the list. However, the list (called "select application") is greyed out and frozen. There is no way for me to activate or select the list to chose an app.

So, what I have is a charging stand with NFC that is recognized by the phone, but I cant' actually select an app for it to do anything in response to the NFC. Clearly a major software bug, and one which kills the NFC functionality of this charging stand.

I've tried this many times, rebooted a few times, etc. One time I left it sitting there "thinking", and eventually the phone rebooted itself....

jkidd01

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
My charging stands did the same thing initially. Eventually I just gave up, hit the start button and went about doing other things for awhile, and when I went back into Nokia Accessories in the settings menu (without tapping the NFC) it wasn't greyed out anymore and I was able to setup the app.

I think it's just a programming bug with the Nokia Accessories app honestly, and that there's nothing wrong with the stand since all 3 that I have do the same thing, across 3 different 920's.

Frantics

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Just got a Wireless Charging Stand too from the Microsoft Store yesterday.

Yeah, setting it up takes time but in my case, after a few moments of the moving dots, it eventually loaded and it let me choose the app I want to pair with.
BTW, I already have the free charging plate but I want to try the stand for my work desk.

Charging works similarly to the plate but yeah, the NFC feature is kinda useless since from my testing, you still have to tap the phone to the NFC area, then tap "Accept" on the screen before the selected app loads. Plus your phone's screen needs to be on and out of standby for the NFC tap to even register!

I think it's just quicker to unlock the phone, then open the app (say, a clock) via Live Tile then lay it on the stand to charge than going through the whole NFC routine.

So I'll probably won't use the stand's NFC features but I'll still keep it since I like how it props the phone up while charging. :)

Last edited:

jjmc2001

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Quick question: Do these stands require the NFC to be manually started before charging? I leave mine off to conserve battery life and I think it would be a hassle to have to turn it on just to lay it on the charger. I purchased the zens model from this store and it worked fine right out of the box. I just lay my phone on it and it magically charges it no matter what the phone status is? By the way I only bought this one because AT&T still hasn;t sent me my free one after two weeks of waiting and numerous calls.

jkidd01

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
No the NFC just lets you launch an app, so like an alarm clock app for your charging stand next to your bed or something. Not needed, just an extra feature.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I just put my phone on the stand and it charged. I didn't need to do anything else. It made the same noise as if I had it plugged into the wall

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Just got a Wireless Charging Stand too from the Microsoft Store yesterday.

Yeah, setting it up takes time but in my case, after a few moments of the moving dots, it eventually loaded and it let me choose the app I want to pair with.
BTW, I already have the free charging plate but I want to try the stand for my work desk.

Charging works similarly to the plate but yeah, the NFC feature is kinda useless since from my testing, you still have to tap the phone to the NFC area, then tap "Accept" on the screen before the selected app loads. Plus your phone's screen needs to be on and out of standby for the NFC tap to even register!

I think it's just quicker to unlock the phone, then open the app (say, a clock) via Live Tile then lay it on the stand to charge than going through the whole NFC routine.

So I'll probably won't use the stand's NFC features but I'll still keep it since I like how it props the phone up while charging. :)

Yes you do have to turn it on to get it to work.

steeleblue

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I was able to get mine set up and select an app just fine (used Amazing Weather) but I have yet to get the NFC 'button' to work. I've tried every combination, phone asleep, phone awake but lock screen on (no password required), and phone wide awake at the Home screen and nothing happens when I touch the NFC area.

Kind of wondering if my charger is defective but it's most probably 'user error'. It charges just fine and I love it. And unless I can turn it into a clock that always shows I don't really care too much. But eventually I suspect the NFC will be able to do a lot more. Until then, it still makes a great charger.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I've got NFC turned on and when I place it on the charging pad it just chargers, nothing indicates that it is pairing with an NFC device. When I open Nokia Accessories it says that it isn't paired with any.

Necroscope

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I've got NFC turned on and when I place it on the charging pad it just chargers, nothing indicates that it is pairing with an NFC device. When I open Nokia Accessories it says that it isn't paired with any.

The charging pad is does not communicate by NFC, only the stand does that.

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Dang, didn't realize the wireless charging stand had NFC built in and could launch an app or something, that's actually a pretty sweet feature!

Moocowdeluxe

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My question is: how in the heck did you get one of the wireless charging stands? I've been looking to get one but it has been out of stock on ATT.com since I got the phone.

Edit: Oh nevermind, it's in stock on ATT.com, but not ATT Premier, which is where I order from and can get a discount. How freaking lame. Maybe I can have someone at an AT&T store order one at the discounted price...

inffy

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Got this stand too yesterday and same thing, the NFC setup screen comes up, but I can't choose any apps from the drawer at the bottom of the screen. The dot's just keep rolling

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte