Straight Talk & 920 - purchasing thoughts

cosminn

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I've read this thread regarding using your 920 with Straight Talk, and that's great. I've also read this thread that talks about not activating your ATT plan while purchasing a month-to-month phone from ATT.

I'm currently on T-Mobile, and since I don't have much experience with ST (or ATT for that matter), I wanted to run this by folks and see if it makes sense. This is what I'm planning on doing:

1. Purchase ST micro-sim ($10)
2. Purchase m2m 920 from ATT ($450) - includes free charging plate. Forces me to get a plan, choose random option that meets their requirements
3. Transfer existing TMO number to ST sim card and get plan ($45)
4. Use 920 with new ST plan and old TMO number
5. Call ATT to cancel plan (or, as suggested in the thread, do not activate ATT sim)

I went to an ATT store earlier today to get a m2m phone, but they said they will only sell non-plan phones after 90 days, so the only options I'm left with are online (which gives me the charging plate, but goes through this hassle of getting a plan) or another place like Microsoft Store (which has the downside of being $499 and no plate).

Before going through with this, I wanted to confirm that:

1. I can transfer my TMO number to my ST sim while ignoring the ATT sim
2. I don't have to pay for the ATT plan or activation crap since I'm really only interested in the device

Thanks in advance for your help!

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
The MS store SHOULD price match to $450. They also have $25 off vouchers just for trying the Windows Phone challenge. For me, they also price matched the charging plate, however I did this all on contract. I know they were price matching at $450 for people off contract though.

cosminn

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
The MS store SHOULD price match to $450. They also have $25 off vouchers just for trying the Windows Phone challenge. For me, they also price matched the charging plate, however I did this all on contract. I know they were price matching at $450 for people off contract though.

Good to know, I was thinking of dropping by anyways since it's not that far from me. Thanks for the tip!

johaas

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to this whole thing too. My Verizon contract just expired so I'm trying to switch over to Straight talk and the 920. So hypothetically, if I never touch the AT&T sim card, I won't be charged for activation or that stupid required service plan? I have my Straight talk sim sitting in front of me and I just ordered the red 920 online an hour ago or so...hopefully everything goes smoothly :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon