- 11-25-2012, 10:16 AM #1
I'll be going to the shop for an exchange. Dead pixel, hopefully they have new stock so I can get it exchanged today.
I'm liking the phone and I'll most likely be sticking to it, but I have some questions on my experience.
- Babysitting on data - I hated when iOS did that. I appreciate if it advice me against using data for something (ie. upload high quality photos to SkyDrive, downloading large apps, downloading maps for offline use), but I do not want the OS to force me to use WiFi. I can manage my data usage and since my LTE is much faster than my WiFi as well, I'd much rather use my data. Is there any way to go around it?
- Video scrubbing - I haven't tried it on video files, but for YouTube videos, I can only forward/reverse the video by pre-determined intervals. I can't imagine this not being an available feature, am I doing it wrongly?
- Top bar status - Cellular and WiFi signal, battery bar; is there any way to make it always show without needing to tap the top?
- Battery percentage - I understand there's the Battery Level for WP8 app, but is there any way to enable the display of percentage on the top bar?
- Tagging - so... I don't use Facebook, Twitter or any other social networking websites. I can tag my photos after they are uploaded to SkyDrive, but it doesn't show up in contacts' albums in the People hub. Any way to enable that?
- Customize lock screen - Over at the newbie tips thread (http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...ml#post1776173), msdugn posted about customizing lock screen with apps. I followed his instructions but do not see the option “Open this app to let it make changes”. This is what my page looks like - imgur: the simple image sharer
- 8tracks - So there's no WP8 app for 8tracks yet, but they have a great mobile page so IE works. Problem is, if I IE is not my active app, or if I lock the phone, it won't go to the next song (it will continue playing the current song, then stop). If IE is actively running, there's no problems. This did not happen for my iPhone. Do you guys know what might be the reason?
- Vibration - After turning off vibration, new chats on WhatsApp still causes the phone to vibrate. Shouldn't that setting be global for the OS?
I guess this may be questions on WP8 in general, if so I apologise and please move to the appropriate forum.
Thanks guys, appreciate your help!
- 11-25-2012, 10:25 AM #2
2. sigh still No.
4. No in the OS, but there is an app in store that does this via a tile.
5. No not after the fact
6. Tap on photos, switch to the lockscreen enabled app you want.
7. Issue with how the HTML5 site is written...they include the Webkit proprietary bits needed to work, not the standard HTML5 bits
8. No if the app requests it it will vibrate.
11-25-2012, 11:19 AM #5
- 41 Posts
Points 1-3 annoy me the most, especially 1. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but in addition to not being able to upload to Skydrive, it won't let me text or email the full size images unless I'm on wifi. 4 I also feel should be built-in as an option as opposed to via an app (especially when there were some concerns earlier about that app possibly contributing to the battery drain).
- 11-25-2012, 12:56 PM #7
I think #3 is a holdover from the Zune design language, and the primary launch device for wp7 being a Samsung oled phone. The entire design language for Zune seemed focused around preventing oled burn in, and I feel it leaked over to wp7. Now the design is pervasive, and wp8 is saddled with some of its downsides, IMO.
11-25-2012, 01:09 PM #9
- 126 Posts
#2 Video Scrubbing - I'm using a HTC 8x and from the MetroTube app I can scrub through videos using the big circle in the timeline. See my screenshot:
- 11-25-2012, 01:16 PM #10
I to switched from a 3gs. My first 920 has a very poor battery and I swapped it out and now its pretty good. I do miss the gaming scene on ios but as for apps once instagram comes I will be complete. Thgr only other thing that really pisses me off is no back button on ie .
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
11-25-2012, 01:34 PM #12
- 41 Posts
11-25-2012, 01:58 PM #13
- 77 Posts
If you return to IE from the home screen or the app list, then your back history is lost so that pressing the back button closes IE instead. This behavior is inconsistent with browsers on iOS and Android, and it's rather annoying.
However, if you return to IE from the multitasking card (press and hold back arrow), then your back history is kept. Of course, this only works until IE is pushed out of the multitask card deck because too many apps have been launched since then.
- 11-25-2012, 02:20 PM #14
I could retitle this "Coming over from the Galaxy S3 - 2 Days later. Yah, I'm not crazy about that whole status bar thing but I'm hoping they'll do something with that in the future (think they read these posts?). That said, I absolutely love this phone and WP8. There is almost nothing I don't like about it. The Galaxy S3 is a very nice phone but after having this one for 2 days, I can definitely say that this phone was made for me - no question. It works great and syncs beautifully with my Windows 8 desktop. As an extra bonus, I have discovered the beauty of using OneNote on a mobile device (it too syncs with my desktop). It's a beautiful thing.
- 11-25-2012, 02:46 PM #17
Then again, I didn't buy into this platform early on for the heck of it. I liked my Zune HD enough to jump into wp7.
- 11-25-2012, 02:53 PM #18
I just got my replacement! No dead pixels (that I can see so far), and the top part defect (http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lu...gn-defect.html) is not present on the new device too!
11-25-2012, 04:06 PM #19
- 656 Posts
2. WP8 itself does not have scrubbing as an option. Bummer. Get Metrotube for Youtube content. It's free, it's better in every way, and includes scrubbing.
3. No. It's soemthing I hated at first, but you get used to it. Some apps allow you to always see the bar in settings, but that is app specific. One such example is the wpcentral forum app.
4. Again, no. Battery Level is about the best you get. I find it sufficient especially since I can setit to give me a lockscreen status.
5. I have no clue. I have never tagged the way you describe. Sorry!
6. AFAIK there are two things you can do with the lock screen. First, you can set up to five apps to show you have an alert. On top of that you can set one app to show detailed alerts (i.e. text messaging will show you your ost recent text rather than simply alreat you that you have one). You can also have an app change your lock screen for you, but this needs to be baked into the app. One such example is Groupon which will periodically flash different deals onto your lockscreen.
7. Again, not familiar with this service
8. Vibe setting on wonky. That's about all I can say about that.
- 11-25-2012, 04:46 PM #20
11-25-2012, 07:35 PM #24
- 379 Posts
I don't know if its just because this is my 3rd WP device, but the battery meter has never been an issue to me. Especially if you have battery saver turn on when low. I can tell about what I have at a glance even without that.Arguing with an ***** is like playing chess with a pigeon.
You could be the greatest player in the world, but the pigeon will still knock over all the pieces, s--t on the board and strut around triumphantly-Tomtom6 on NcSportbikes.com
11-25-2012, 07:56 PM #25
- 7 Posts
I switched from the iphone 3g to the Moto Atrix. This weekend I got a 920 for me (50.00) and an 820 for my wife (free). I hate the fact on Android they never update their software. For 18 months Moto promised to upgrade my phone to ICS. One day they just said nope not going to do it. My phone was all kind of buggy for a year. I hated Itunes. I put a new hard drive on my laptop and itunes would not let me move my music over. It deleted everything off my phone. Really ticked me off.
So far I have enjoyed the tiles. I have a couple of complaints about wp. Hopefully they read these pages.
1. When you get a message be it a text or VM, there is no continuous notification until you recognize it. My Iphone would go off every couple of minutes to let me know I had a message. This should be an easy fix. My Atrix had a blinking light to let me know there was a message.
2. The calendar really sucks. The company that makes Office can't put a decent calendar on their phone. I used an app on my Atrix that was great. I sent them a message asking for them to make a wp8 app.
3. A simple music player would be nice. I found an app that seems to be a good start. Hopefully they will listen to suggestions and improve their player.
4. Just do not like IE. There is nothing about it I have found I like so far. Might just take some getting use to.
Hopefully they will address the first 2. Overall I am very pleased with my 920. The sound quality is great. The maps app is way better than google and I dig the tiles.
- By Nettwerk in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 12Last Post: 11-27-2012, 03:19 AM
- By evrdazed in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 22Last Post: 11-13-2012, 05:37 PM
- By Aki11p2 in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 13Last Post: 11-10-2012, 08:41 PM
- By greggebhardt in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 2Last Post: 10-20-2012, 07:12 AM
- By sydenie in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 14Last Post: 11-07-2011, 09:50 PM