Switched from iPhone 3GS to 920 - 2 days later...

C s G

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I'll be going to the shop for an exchange. Dead pixel, hopefully they have new stock so I can get it exchanged today.

I'm liking the phone and I'll most likely be sticking to it, but I have some questions on my experience.

1. Babysitting on data - I hated when iOS did that. I appreciate if it advice me against using data for something (ie. upload high quality photos to SkyDrive, downloading large apps, downloading maps for offline use), but I do not want the OS to force me to use WiFi. I can manage my data usage and since my LTE is much faster than my WiFi as well, I'd much rather use my data. Is there any way to go around it?
  2. Video scrubbing - I haven't tried it on video files, but for YouTube videos, I can only forward/reverse the video by pre-determined intervals. I can't imagine this not being an available feature, am I doing it wrongly?
  3. Top bar status - Cellular and WiFi signal, battery bar; is there any way to make it always show without needing to tap the top?
  4. Battery percentage - I understand there's the Battery Level for WP8 app, but is there any way to enable the display of percentage on the top bar?
  5. Tagging - so... I don't use Facebook, Twitter or any other social networking websites. I can tag my photos after they are uploaded to SkyDrive, but it doesn't show up in contacts' albums in the People hub. Any way to enable that?
  6. Customize lock screen - Over at the newbie tips thread (http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/204483-wp8-newbie-tips.html#post1776173), msdugn posted about customizing lock screen with apps. I followed his instructions but do not see the option ?Open this app to let it make changes?. This is what my page looks like - imgur: the simple image sharer
  7. 8tracks - So there's no WP8 app for 8tracks yet, but they have a great mobile page so IE works. Problem is, if I IE is not my active app, or if I lock the phone, it won't go to the next song (it will continue playing the current song, then stop). If IE is actively running, there's no problems. This did not happen for my iPhone. Do you guys know what might be the reason?
  8. Vibration - After turning off vibration, new chats on WhatsApp still causes the phone to vibrate. Shouldn't that setting be global for the OS?

I guess this may be questions on WP8 in general, if so I apologise and please move to the appropriate forum.

Thanks guys, appreciate your help!

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
1. No.
2. sigh still No.
3. No.
4. No in the OS, but there is an app in store that does this via a tile.
5. No not after the fact
6. Tap on photos, switch to the lockscreen enabled app you want.
7. Issue with how the HTML5 site is written...they include the Webkit proprietary bits needed to work, not the standard HTML5 bits
8. No if the app requests it it will vibrate.

azasadny

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I also switched from the iPhone 3GS to th Lumia 920 two weeks ago. I'm curious as to your experience. Mine has been almost 100% positive. I had the dreaded "quick battery drain" issue, but I think I've got it fixed...

kebnt

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Points 1-3 annoy me the most, especially 1. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but in addition to not being able to upload to Skydrive, it won't let me text or email the full size images unless I'm on wifi. 4 I also feel should be built-in as an option as opposed to via an app (especially when there were some concerns earlier about that app possibly contributing to the battery drain).

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I think #3 is a holdover from the Zune design language, and the primary launch device for wp7 being a Samsung oled phone. The entire design language for Zune seemed focused around preventing oled burn in, and I feel it leaked over to wp7. Now the design is pervasive, and wp8 is saddled with some of its downsides, IMO.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I to switched from a 3gs. My first 920 has a very poor battery and I swapped it out and now its pretty good. I do miss the gaming scene on ios but as for apps once instagram comes I will be complete. Thgr only other thing that really pisses me off is no back button on ie .
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I think there is a back button on ie isn't it the back button on the device?
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

kebnt

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I think there is a back button on ie isn't it the back button on the device?Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
I've found that when I'm browsing the back button on the device works fine, but if I then need to switch apps and then go back to the browser it doesn't let me go back in the browser, it will take me to the start screen, unless I'm doing something wrong.

kevinn206

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I've found that when I'm browsing the back button on the device works fine, but if I then need to switch apps and then go back to the browser it doesn't let me go back in the browser, it will take me to the start screen, unless I'm doing something wrong.

It's an issue that hasn't been fixed with WP8.

If you return to IE from the home screen or the app list, then your back history is lost so that pressing the back button closes IE instead. This behavior is inconsistent with browsers on iOS and Android, and it's rather annoying.

However, if you return to IE from the multitasking card (press and hold back arrow), then your back history is kept. Of course, this only works until IE is pushed out of the multitask card deck because too many apps have been launched since then.

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I could retitle this "Coming over from the Galaxy S3 - 2 Days later. Yah, I'm not crazy about that whole status bar thing but I'm hoping they'll do something with that in the future (think they read these posts?). That said, I absolutely love this phone and WP8. There is almost nothing I don't like about it. The Galaxy S3 is a very nice phone but after having this one for 2 days, I can definitely say that this phone was made for me - no question. It works great and syncs beautifully with my Windows 8 desktop. As an extra bonus, I have discovered the beauty of using OneNote on a mobile device (it too syncs with my desktop). It's a beautiful thing.

jaqueh

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'll be going to the shop for an exchange. Dead pixel, hopefully they have new stock so I can get it exchanged today.

I'm liking the phone and I'll most likely be sticking to it, but I have some questions on my experience.

1. Babysitting on data - I hated when iOS did that. I appreciate if it advice me against using data for something (ie. upload high quality photos to SkyDrive, downloading large apps, downloading maps for offline use), but I do not want the OS to force me to use WiFi. I can manage my data usage and since my LTE is much faster than my WiFi as well, I'd much rather use my data. Is there any way to go around it?
  2. Video scrubbing - I haven't tried it on video files, but for YouTube videos, I can only forward/reverse the video by pre-determined intervals. I can't imagine this not being an available feature, am I doing it wrongly?
  3. Top bar status - Cellular and WiFi signal, battery bar; is there any way to make it always show without needing to tap the top?
  4. Battery percentage - I understand there's the Battery Level for WP8 app, but is there any way to enable the display of percentage on the top bar?
  5. Tagging - so... I don't use Facebook, Twitter or any other social networking websites. I can tag my photos after they are uploaded to SkyDrive, but it doesn't show up in contacts' albums in the People hub. Any way to enable that?
  6. Customize lock screen - Over at the newbie tips thread (http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/204483-wp8-newbie-tips.html#post1776173), msdugn posted about customizing lock screen with apps. I followed his instructions but do not see the option “Open this app to let it make changes”. This is what my page looks like - imgur: the simple image sharer
  7. 8tracks - So there's no WP8 app for 8tracks yet, but they have a great mobile page so IE works. Problem is, if I IE is not my active app, or if I lock the phone, it won't go to the next song (it will continue playing the current song, then stop). If IE is actively running, there's no problems. This did not happen for my iPhone. Do you guys know what might be the reason?
  8. Vibration - After turning off vibration, new chats on WhatsApp still causes the phone to vibrate. Shouldn't that setting be global for the OS?

I guess this may be questions on WP8 in general, if so I apologise and please move to the appropriate forum.

Thanks guys, appreciate your help!

Basically: no

You'd be surprised but iOS is far more customizable than WP8

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Not in its appearance and that's not a little thing. Just sayin...
In my view, iOS is completely compensated by how much, even superficially, there is under the surface. WP is still in major catchup mode. Easy case in point: clearly separate volume controls. It has been in IOS settings since at least IOS 3, and while I've only noticed it since ICS, I'm sure there was a similar function in the android settings app. Windows phone needs to be more than a pretty face. At this point, excepting an improved web browser, I'm failing to find any real reason why I would want this Lumia 920 over a wp7 device, much less any decent android or IOS phone.

Then again, I didn't buy into this platform early on for the heck of it. I liked my Zune HD enough to jump into wp7.

C s G

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I just got my replacement! No dead pixels (that I can see so far), and the top part defect (http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...tention-possible-lumia-920-design-defect.html) is not present on the new device too!

1. No.
2. sigh still No.
3. No.
4. No in the OS, but there is an app in store that does this via a tile.
5. No not after the fact
6. Tap on photos, switch to the lockscreen enabled app you want.
7. Issue with how the HTML5 site is written...they include the Webkit proprietary bits needed to work, not the standard HTML5 bits
8. No if the app requests it it will vibrate.
Thanks! I guess the People hub live tile is basically useless for me then; until I get Facebook I guess.

I also switched from the iPhone 3GS to th Lumia 920 two weeks ago. I'm curious as to your experience. Mine has been almost 100% positive. I had the dreaded "quick battery drain" issue, but I think I've got it fixed...
I'm liking it so far, but definitely have some gripes as listed. So no, not 100% positive, but positive in general. I'm still waiting a couple more days (even more so now with the replacement) to judge on the battery life.

I use the app called mixtapes for listening to 8tracks, works perfect!
Awesome! Thanks!!

#2 Video Scrubbing - I'm using a HTC 8x and from the MetroTube app I can scrub through videos using the big circle in the timeline. See my screenshot:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=B974B83491279E13!376
Thanks! I just downloaded MetroTube but haven't used it. I tried the scrubbing and it works, but unfortunately doesn't give the preview while you're scrubbing. Good 'nuff though!

Basically: no

You'd be surprised but iOS is far more customizable than WP8
I am coming to realize that. Especially when compared to jailbroken iOS. I'd hate to go back to Apple though. 13 more days to try this out. Jailbroken WP8 in the future, maybe?

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
  6. Customize lock screen - Over at the newbie tips thread (http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/204483-wp8-newbie-tips.html#post1776173), msdugn posted about customizing lock screen with apps. I followed his instructions but do not see the option ?Open this app to let it make changes?. This is what my page looks like - imgur: the simple image sharer

1. Where is the question? AFAIK there are no wifi only apps, as there were/are in iOS
2. WP8 itself does not have scrubbing as an option. Bummer. Get Metrotube for Youtube content. It's free, it's better in every way, and includes scrubbing.
3. No. It's soemthing I hated at first, but you get used to it. Some apps allow you to always see the bar in settings, but that is app specific. One such example is the wpcentral forum app.
4. Again, no. Battery Level is about the best you get. I find it sufficient especially since I can setit to give me a lockscreen status.
5. I have no clue. I have never tagged the way you describe. Sorry!
6. AFAIK there are two things you can do with the lock screen. First, you can set up to five apps to show you have an alert. On top of that you can set one app to show detailed alerts (i.e. text messaging will show you your ost recent text rather than simply alreat you that you have one). You can also have an app change your lock screen for you, but this needs to be baked into the app. One such example is Groupon which will periodically flash different deals onto your lockscreen.
7. Again, not familiar with this service
8. Vibe setting on wonky. That's about all I can say about that.

C s G

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
1. Where is the question? AFAIK there are no wifi only apps, as there were/are in iOS
Thanks for your reply! There are no WiFi-only apps (that I know of), but there are WiFi-only services. I've listed the examples: upload original quality photos (and any videos) to SkyDrive, downloading large apps, downloading maps for offline use. With iOS, jailbreaking gets around the restriction; I was hoping for a way to get around WP8's restrictions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3