Lumia 920 - Too much compromise?

minimalistiq

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
So I have wanted a 920 since its announcement, confused (mostly in disagreement) when theverge reviewed it mentioning alot of compromise to own one. After plenty of failed attempts to have one shipped to my country and after reading plenty of articles about 920 issues. For the first time Im starting to doubt if I should get one.

The main reason why I'am sacrificing all the extra little features in android to come to WP8 is its stability. I'am well aware that not everybody is facing issues but I dont want to take the risk

Add to this the lack of good games, and some people reporting short battery life ( I dont want to manage my background tasks, this is not android), my opinion of the device being too big for the screen size (I dont mind the size I just wish the screen was bigger to compliment the size)

Rumors are the nexus 4 is coming to my country in a few weeks and with still no sign of the 920, I am having serious doubts on the Lumia 920.:crying:

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I think it would be easier if you told us where you felt you would have to deal with compromise. Simply saying "there is a lot of compromise" is't enough for me. Going from one OS to the other, you are going to compromise things. This includes iOS>Android>Symbian>[insert flavor here] or any combination thereof.

At this point my biggest pet peeves are no notification center (this is in the works, at the very least, by a third party, confirmed) as well as not being able to change text tones. That one is a big compromise for me since I take a lot of texts for work. I cannot tell if it is a private text, work related, nothing. I am forced to check my phone every time... Conversely, my wife has her phone on vibrate ALL THE TIME. She too gets worked related texts, but it doesn't bother her. So really, she could care less about the feature, because she would never use it. Just one example of where one person in our households sees compromise and the other sees indifference. :)

Also, it has become a bit of a cliche, but if all you have ever used is iOS and Android, WP does some things very differently. Some call it compromise, I just call it different. At first it may feel silly or sluggish because you haven't built the muscle memory for those tasks. But after a while, it becomes second nature. Try and think back to the day you went from your flip phone to a smartphone (if you are old enough to remember that). Nothing came second nature because it was all new to you. It's sort of like that, but to an obviously lesser extent.

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I love the 920 I don't really care what anyone says plus with people buying windows 8 pcs we will see a big push with apps in very happy been very sick about the security issues with android and all the bugs
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

SteveISU

Sep 26, 2006
Visit site
I'm fortunate to have multiple devices that I can use at anytime. My first choice is Android, which has really passed Apple in terms of innovation IMHO. Things may not work with the fluidity of iOS, but there are a lot of really cool features on Android right now . The Lumia 920 is a great piece of hardware and the metro UI is gorgeous and really classy. With android I feel like I can do almost anything I want, same might be said with iOS given the app selection, with WP8 I feel like I'm in a phone booth. A very nice one, but a phone booth nonetheless. My battery life has been horrendous even after a factory reset. I'm sitting here at 4:24pm at 47% battery life with very light use (phone came off the charger at 7:30).

Dramer77

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
the verge just dont like it, and alot of the "issues" get blown out of proportion.. yea there are some people having some issues.. i returned my first 920 for having reception issues.. but overall i love the phone.. it takes some getting use to and yea there are a few bugs that need fixed, but nothing i cant live with for alittle bit.. games are coming.. there are already some nice ones in the market

minimalistiq

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
missing features isnt my main concern as much as having software issues, thats why I want to leave android. When I had iphone it all just worked and thats something very special in WP also so I dont want this on my brand new Lumia 920 (if I do get it)

Leo Kaukidi

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I came from Iphone 5 & galaxy s3, WP8 + Nokia is the best ever.
I will never go back to android or IOS ever again & I do not feel like I compromise at all using my 920.
It is much much better.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
My 920 was used a lot yesterday. I was Christmas shopping with family and used my phone to browse store websites for deals, take pictures and video and to call and text others. Considering I had the phone off the charger and under a lot of use for 12+ hours I was pleased with the performance of my phone. When I hit the 30% mark I kicked on battery saver and coasted the whole way home. If I had turned off automatic uploading to SkyDrive for photos and video I would have easily had more battery life remaining.

cruzr96

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Really depends on you. Coming from a feature phone / itouch combo, I find the media player side of WP8 to be a real pain in the neck. Way too unintiutive, and no playlist creation in-phone is really killing me. The whole custom text tones can get annoying too, as well as the lack of a notification center.

This can be expected though, since this is only the first stage of the new OS. I'm not complaining b/c I love the whole tile thing and how stable the OS is. Things should get a lot better with coming updates, or at least I hope so! So you can stick it out and hope for these fixes, or just make the switch to Android. I'd personally stay, WP8 seems to be very promising.

Fred Garvin MP

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I can understand some of your apprehensions, but I think that they are weighing too heavily for you - considering the sources. Yes, many people have had problems with their phones, but a *lot* have also not had any problems. As you might have guessed, I am one of the ones who hasn't had any of the problems (on the hardware side).

Are there some issues with the OS? Yep. But considering how new it is, that is to be expected. It is, however, extremely stable so far. I have not had any of the battery issues - mine lasts far into the next day... but I also do not have NFC turned on - which has helped battery life a lot. And honestly, right now having NFC is not that huge of a deal - at least not enough to always want it on. So the battery issue is not a problem (for me at least).

The only thing that I have issue with is a software related issue relating to volume controls. At the moment I know of no way to change volume individually on ringtone, text, and email alerts. This is an issue for me since I turn it down and then forget to turn it back up - which leaves me not hearing notifications sometimes... kind-of annoying for sure, but I would hope that will be addressed in a future update.

As for the lack of games etc... from what I understand, W8/wp8 has one of the most rapidly expanding app markets around right now. Yes, at the moment that doesn't mean much since there are not nearly as many apps as in the other stores, but with OEM's putting W8 on laptops and tablets now, I see that market expanding *greatly* very soon. At least I would hope so. I am willing to wait aroun and see if it does, just to stay out of Google's system and because I am so completely bored with iOS. (For the record, I actually like iOS and Android, just really bored with iOS and am kinda mad at the Goog for going so far back on their "Don't be evil" motto.

Overall, I am actually very satisfied with my Nokia Lumia 920 and the WP8 platform. I am just excited to see where it goes from here!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077