Disappointed with the camera

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm with OP. I had better daytime pics from my BB9810 than from 920. And night pics make everybody's eyes glow. Mine will pause with clear pic on screen, then it saves a soft, dream sequence pic to phone. I've messed with settings and found a few that turn out better, but unless Nokia has a software fix I'm thinking the camera was all hype. The fanboys can continue to praise but the reality doesn't live up to the tests I have seen. I'll take great daytime pictures over glowing eyed low light pics any day. I used phone over Holiday and almost all indoor pics had glowing eyes and outdoor pics were just too soft. I want crisp, HD pics everytime. not 2 out of 10.

Dr Arnheim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The daylight pictures really suck and you can see the same blur in night shots - so it is no daylight issue. It is absolutely ridiculous to claim the pictures of the 920 are on par or better than an iPhone, S III or the like. And yes, I own a 920 and a DSLR as well. I'm a photo enthusiast and the camera was a main reason to buy this phone. Btw, in the first review of engadet the blur problem was absent ...
For those who want to see the difference go on slashgear or any other comparison.

lesd777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
This camera blows away my s2 skyrocket. No comparison. I can't comment on the 920 vs an iPhone, but so far I'm happy with the results.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Shap2012

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
...your attitude of "don't come onto the forum unless you have something nice to say" is fanboism. don't let your feelings get hurt because someone doesn't like something

Ah, you would be so right if that was where I was coming from but it is not.

Going back to the topic at hand, the OP made a pretty broad statement that the camera on the Lumia 920 sucks. Compared to an iPhone 4S. Without a side by side comparison.

It's an opinion and the user is entitled to it. The problem with a lot of similar threads is they have little to no objective basis behind them and are driven purely by the dissatisfaction of the OP based on expectations they had which were the result of buying into the marketing hype from Nokia, AT&T and various media outlets. Compared to a DSLR the Lumia 920 is not as good of a camera. Here is a shot of my kid sleeping on the couch taken with each camera to prove it.

OK OP, I do agree with you. Or, no I don't agree with you and here is why.

These don't all have to be 'friendly' conversations or heated debates but they should be able to generate more discussion other than uninformed opinions that lack any foothold in reality.

While I generally appreciate most responses, I don't yours. My opinion is not an uninformed one and is based on my comparison of hundreds of photos and countless hours spending time with this camera. I compared it directly to my old iphone 4S instead of my canon t3i for more realistic expectations. My expectation was rather realistic. It should be able to beat out a past generation iphone. The 920 failed in that test. I didn't provide YOU the proof of this conclusion, but that does not mean I came to this conclusion without due diligence.

I'd be happy to provide side-by-sides soon as I can for those truly interested. Zoomed out on the phone, they both look acceptable, but transfer one to a PC or soon in 100% and its clear who the winner is unfortunately. I have no disdain or hatred for ATT or Nokia. I simply want them to improve.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I am all for an honest discussion about problems people are having with their phone. There are threads for just that. When you post a thread stating "this camera sucks". That is not going to lead to a constructive discussion.

Dr Arnheim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't find full resolution samples of the S II right now, however, from what I have seen on low resolution samples, I think you are wrong.

This camera blows away my s2 skyrocket. No comparison. I can't comment on the 920 vs an iPhone, but so far I'm happy with the results.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
I think someone's peeling are hurt..
You know what sucks? More threads about how this phone supposedly sucks because of one reason or another. Suck it up, buttercup and exchange your phone if it isn't working properly. If it isn't what you had hoped or expected, return it and get another device. Past the 14 days? Sell it.

Just don't feel that after finding out the phone isn't the second coming of Christ you have some sort of moral obligation to come onto a message board and demonstrate your disdain over the Lumia 920, Nokia and AT&T.

Sent from my HTC Titan 2 using Board Express

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I have yet to get a blur or bad night or indoor shot. And I did find that tapping the screen did make a difference in the daytime shots.

anon(5353539)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I for one welcome all opinions on this forum, makes research much easier.
Please do share your photos though. Words and all won't help your rant too much.

I would love to see 2 threads in wpcentral for 920 photography, one showing its absolute best, another showing where it falls short in comparison with other phones.

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
One interesting thing is also that if you take picture for example of a vase 3m away and then take picture of the same vase but zoom digitally as close as possible. Now compare the photos so that you zoom in the first photo to "same size" as latter one. Picture taken with digitally zoomed one is so much more crisp?!? How the heck is that possible? Shouldn't the detail be about the same in both?

Something is wrong, I just don't know what.

roblo

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I have the iPhone 5 which I tested against the 920, Seems in daylight the 920 turns out a soft picture and does not actually render the picture as you see on the screen. you can actually see it change to a softer pic as it saves and scrolls left. iPhone 5 on the other hand saves the pic correctly. Indoor and night time pics are better on the Lumia 920. Which produces a lot less noise but still soft but very acceptable. IPhone 5 seems to produce pics a tad sharper indoors but produces a lot of noise which does not look very good. Creative studio fixes the issue by bumping up the clarity. but Nokia needs to push out a software update to remedy the issue of saving the pics incorrectly.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Just a tip, tap the screen to take a picture instead of using the camera button. I was using the button (half press to focus, then full press) and I couldn't get a clear shot to save my left. Then I just let the phone handle it haha.

I agree with this. Using my wife's L920, I had a lot more success tapping the screen than using the camera button. The night photos are nothing short of remarkable. Of course, you can't have a moving subject, and you still have to attempt to hold your hand fairly still. The lens is open for a long time.

I agree that the iPhone takes better photos in the day time. I'm not sure if it's a post-processing issue or not. I would imagine so, since Nokia has made some amazing cameras with other phones like the N8 and the 808. Their lenses are top notch for camera phones. If it's a post-processing or software settings issue, then it should be able to be corrected with an update.

Dr Arnheim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It is also strange that the blur does not show up in macro mode / macro pictures ... Nokia the update PLEASE!

One interesting thing is also that if you take picture for example of a vase 3m away and then take picture of the same vase but zoom digitally as close as possible. Now compare the photos so that you zoom in the first photo to "same size" as latter one. Picture taken with digitally zoomed one is so much more crisp?!? How the heck is that possible? Shouldn't the detail be about the same in both?

Something is wrong, I just don't know what.

MathiasVerden

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I have the iPhone 5 which I tested against the 920, Seems in daylight the 920 turns out a soft picture and does not actually render the picture as you see on the screen. you can actually see it change to a softer pic as it saves and scrolls left. iPhone 5 on the other hand saves the pic correctly. Indoor and night time pics are better on the Lumia 920. Which produces a lot less noise but still soft but very acceptable. IPhone 5 seems to produce pics a tad sharper indoors but produces a lot of noise which does not look very good. Creative studio fixes the issue by bumping up the clarity. but Nokia needs to push out a software update to remedy the issue of saving the pics incorrectly.

It's because the 920 is taking photos in daylight the same way as it does in lowlight. If Nokia fixes this, I can assure you that photos will be a lot more crisp and clear. I've seen some of the photos people have taken with the HTC Titan, and it really does help if you fiddle just a little with the settings, incase you're taking a photo of something really important.

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Can't say I agree at all. I've used an iPhone 4S camera and my wife's Evo LTE 4G (HTC One X, i.e. the same camera in the 8x).

While I wished Windows Phone allowed for natural burst mode without having to open SmartShoot (on the One X, you just hold down the camera button and let it go as long you like), I'm seeing the same quality of pictures across each camera when it comes to daytime photos. In the case that the 920 falls a bit behind, I simply tap "Edit", then "Auto-Fix" and the image is usually brought right up to where it needs to be.

However, low light performance isn't just night-time photography. It means shooting indoors a lot of the time, frequently in fluorescent store or home lighting, and that's where a LOT of magic happens with my two young boys. Here, I've gotten a lot of shots that just would've been difficult to capture with the other two cameras.

Trust me, HTC HYPED that new camera module+ImageSense chip like crazy when they announced the One X showing "samples" of how it trounced the iPhone for light captured and picture clarity. I don't think anyone with a 8X or a One X would say this is the case, myself included. In my opinion, Nokia has finally fulfilled that promise. The video capture is also first rate, and all of my family members have remarked on how great the video and pictures of the kids is that I've sent out. I'm happy with it. They are. If Nokia can squeeze even more quality out of this module, great. But I think they already have one of the best shooters in the industry.

If anybody can honestly look at the medium-light, low-light and video samples of this camera and deem that it "sucks", I don't know what to tell them. The bright daytime stuff can be "fixed in post" as they say. What's the problem?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3