Disappointed with the camera

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Nokia Drive+ BETA you mean?

The beta software? What's wrong? Is it acting like beta software?

Ugh... don't get me started. Siri was the same way. People were apologizing for Apple a year into its release. Some people still are. Nokia also blatently removed bing maps from our phones, which has been shown in many cases to preform better than Nokia maps. They decided to ship the phone with beta software installed. I am not going to be apologizing for them any more than I ever did with Apple.

cardinalryan

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I can assure you that if you aren't getting good pictures with the L920, it's either user error or you were unlucky and got a defective device. Someone mentioned that they thought the 8X took better pics than the L920...hmmm. Well, maybe to their eyes, but I can tell you, as a professional photographer that neither are going to deliver the results some people expect, but the L920 has a vastly better camera than the 8X. The HTC 8X produces washed out images and is quite unimpressive, in my opinion.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Maybe part of some people's disappointment stems from expectations. I expected the 920's camera to be on the general same level as the iPhone and other camera phones and it has met that expectation. When people post or send photos from their iPhone they usually look like they came from a camera phone. When I look at comparison photos from Verge, Cnet, etc comparing iPhone, Galaxy, HTC, etc they all look about the same general quality. The 920 meets my expectation. That said, I have not thoroughly played with my 920's camera but I have noticed that on automatic setting I get varied results. Some pictures look good and some are poorly focused even when I am taking the photos a few seconds apart. All the 920 pictures look soft. The video however has exceeded my expectations. I didn't choose the 920 because of it's camera. I wanted a Windows phone and the HTC only has 16GB memory, which is a deal breaker.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
i have 2 920s in cyan ant mt brother jsut got a white 920. all 3 take pictures that are no way near the quality of the pictures taken by the verge. Its not user error! its the cameras or wp8. its impossible for the majority of reviewers and users on various boards to be the problem. This is very disappointing. today photos taken with my 920 side by side a coworkers iphone 5 was quite embarrassing for me. i hyped this thing up so mcuh and then my phone produces soft photos.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I was very disappointed with the Lumia 900 camera when it first came out. Alot hype but that's it. Nokia is full of hype.
Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express
You mean, a totally different camera module on a different phone which subsequently got improved by a software update you didn't have since your experience with it was when it first came out?

Yeah, my HTC Touch had a crap-ass camera too. Your 8X must be absolutely crap since they are both HTCs.

Gken

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I think the camera right now is amazing, took some absolutely stunning shots with it. I am an amateur photographer enthusiast and while it is good you still need to take some precautions on taking a photograph just like every other camera. You can't just point and shoot and expect greatness. I would however like less of the post processing that is being done with software, but I guess that is always a wish with photographers and wanting the RAW file rather than post-processing jibberjabber.

misterRafter

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Funny thing is before releasing the L920 Nokia promised that the camera is going to be untouchable, great, blah blah and most people on this forum and on other forums were raving about how good its going to be. Now the phone has been released and it's proven to be a phone with an average camera that takes absolute shyt daylight pics and guess what the cover up is now "you shouldn't expect too much from the phone it's only a phone", "or there's an update coming"! FFS

When you spend a lot of money for a phone you would atleast expect the phone to perform to the standard it was advertised by the manufacturer.

Personally i like the phone but the camera is disappointing END OF. It's my second L920 due to the numerous other issues i had with my first device.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I have to admit, I am underwhelmed by the daytime photos taken by the 920 in comparison me and my wife's 8x, but dark settings the pics come out better and I bought it more for the video taking capability. Have you ever tried a video in comparison to any other phone? Quite impressive. The steadiness and the sound. They are great.

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I look at it this way:

I can easily put a 920 daytime pic in Nokia's Creative Studio and touch it up with a few taps (or even WP8's "Auto-Fix". They both do wonders).

If I want an iPhone 5 or Galaxy S 3 or HTC 8X to have amazing video with sterling sound or super-detailed low or medium light pics that somehow show more natural light in the room than my eyes even see.....there's no app for that.

If that's disappointing or sucky to you guys....I feel for ya.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Ugh... don't get me started. Siri was the same way. People were apologizing for Apple a year into its release. Some people still are. Nokia also blatently removed bing maps from our phones, which has been shown in many cases to preform better than Nokia maps. They decided to ship the phone with beta software installed. I am not going to be apologizing for them any more than I ever did with Apple.

Beta Software Definition

misterRafter

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. I don't know how high people's expectations was/is but it's a phone first camera second.

on Nokia's announcement it seemed like the L920 was a camera first then a phone. Anyways it's obvious the camera is shyt in daylight and i'd be surprised to see an update very soon.... oh well atleast Nokia confirmed it for me that they are FOS. End of

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a nice Nikon D7000 at home, but it's not always handy so having a little bit of reassurance on a smartphone doesn't hurt. Like that time my daughter first started to chatter at 3 months old. Yeah, I take out my phone and hope I get a good video. Instead of running to my camera kit and recording the moment. Or when you are at a party and you don't have your DSLR...comes in handy. I loved my 8x, but the video taking capabilities of it don't match the 920 with the video stabilization. ESPECIALLY on the front facing camera. If you do mobile blogs then you would be annoyed to do it with an 8x. With a 920 it's not a problem. It all boils down to preference though. 8x is a great audio and camera for light situations. If you don't need maps and good video then you can live without the bulk of a 920.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Ain't THAT the truth. The Dell Venue Pro and the iPhone 4 have the same camera and the DVP had the worst smartphone camera image quality I have ever seen.

I didn't know those had the same camera module.. Another example is The iphone 4s and the Xperia Arc from Sony.. both use the same Sony sensor, but iOS does a much better job, and despite the fact that its Sony's own sensor, the iphone 4s takes better photographs.

If I had to rank the OSs in terms of image processing based on current smartphones for sale: Symbian >>> iOS>Android>WP.. but the differences between android and WP are tiny so I don't know.

Also, I don't know if its a coincidence, but out of those 4 only Symbian is a real-time OS, the other 3 are based on monolithic kernels. And also.. I guess its a balance of the maker's understanding of the operating system vs. the available hardware .. so all of this is not really clear. Nokia had over 10 years of experience with Symbian based cameras.. no one else in the industry has had such a long time with any of the other OS. Maybe HTC with Windows CE.. but that was a long time ago..

So if we take that under account, Nokia are doing very well.. Not even one year with Windows NT and they produced the 920.. not bad at all. They know what they are doing, it... simply will take some time.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
on Nokia's announcement it seemed like the L920 was a camera first then a phone. Anyways it's obvious the camera is shyt in daylight and i'd be surprised to see an update very soon.... oh well atleast Nokia confirmed it for me that they are FOS. End of

I don't know, I'm perfectly fine with my daylight pictures, I came from blackberries and it is 10 times better than that and is almost on par with my 16 MP Titan II. I remember them touting the stabilization and the low-light technology and I'm really satisfied with that so everybody is different.

FWIW, Samsung just released a camera that also doubles as a phone running android.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/25/samsung-galaxy-camera-reaches-canada-on-december-7th-with-3g/

Shap2012

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
You want to take nice pics? Buy yourself a Nikon or Canon SLR. Nuff said.

Jessica

Want good sound, go buy external speakers. want powerful processor, buy a desktop PC. Want good phone quality, use a land line... Just a dumb response. This smartphone is SUPPOSE to have an incredible camera, it is/was one of the most significant reasons to buy this phone. Everyone was SO excited and praising how it beat the iPhone camera and now that its out and they daylight photos are a fussy mess, all the Nokia fanboys/girls retort to "go buy a DSLR". I own a frickin DSLR, thats not the point. Why can't this brand new flagship smart phone with a Carl Zeiss lens beat out a year old iPhone whos strongest selling point wasn't even its camera?

I want Nokia to improve, so I criticize and have strong expectations (like have a better camera than a 4S iphone). If everyone was as passive as you, we'd all be walking around with DSLR's on our shoulder and 1.3mp camera phones.

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Well, obviously mileage varies, but the pictures are anything but a fuzzy mess or blurry for me. Not only are low light photos way beyond the competition, but medium light no flash ones excel as well. Video recording is far, far better.

If those advantages are meaningless to you, WHY would you have bought this phone in the first place?
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

JonesCK1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Look at these Nokia Lumia 920 day time shots. People having trouble with blurry shots should forget using the 2 stage shutter button, enable tap on screen to shoot and make sure you tap on the point of interest, that's where the lumia will focus on, but not everyone knows this, they either half press the shutter button and then move sligtly when pressing harder or let the subject move and don't refocus, or when using tap to shoot, they tap anywhere on the screen instead of the point of focus. :p

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/....10152332509295651.930178.220219360650&type=1

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3