Disappointed with the camera

sasha055

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Everyone who says that daylight pictures with Lumia are good never tried to take a picture with iPhone, and user error and hardware fault is BS.
I live around MS, everyone here has a windows phone, most of them 920s. All my firends admit that:
Daylight pictures are soft! iPhone is much much better at it.
I still love my YELLOW 920 (waited 2 weeks for it) and I really hope that we will get a software update.

oh and for the ppl who have the "buy a DSLR" line.. Camera is one of the most advertised features of Lumia 920.. and it sucks

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Everyone who says that daylight pictures with Lumia are good never tried to take a picture with iPhone, and user error and hardware fault is BS.
I live around MS, everyone here has a windows phone, most of them 920s. All my firends admit that:
I still love my YELLOW 920 (waited 2 weeks for it) and I really hope that we will get a software update.

oh and for the ppl who have the "buy a DSLR" line.. Camera is one of the most advertised features of Lumia 920.. and it sucks

Damn you people spend a lot of time *****ing and whining. If everything is so sunshine and lollipops with iPhone go back to your ****ing iPhone.

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Look at these Nokia Lumia 920 day time shots. People having trouble with blurry shots should forget using the 2 stage shutter button, enable tap on screen to shoot and make sure you tap on the point of interest, that's where the lumia will focus on, but not everyone knows this, they either half press the shutter button and then move sligtly when pressing harder or let the subject move and don't refocus, or when using tap to shoot, they tap anywhere on the screen instead of the point of focus. :p

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/....10152332509295651.930178.220219360650&type=1

These are actually a horrible representation of what the 920 can do in daytime photos. They are either HIGHLY edited or taken of close up items, which is not what the issue with the phone is.

I guarantee that I know how to shoot an image, and standing side by side with my iphone 4 and the 920, the iphone 4 just simply look sharper and clearer for almost every single daylight, outdoor picture. If it is someting "I" am doing wrong, I doubt Stephen Elop and others would have said that a fix is coming. Surely they are aware of it too.

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

No offense, but that's a laughable assessment.

The camera module excels in SO many areas in both photo and video, but daytime default pictures are somewhat comparatively soft in the brightest conditions. How does that make camera suck, again? This is like buying an Audi A8L and saying "Sure, it's stylish, roomy, well-built, and fun to drive...but it's no good off-roading. Audi tried to make this seem like the be-all, end all, therefore the car sucks!"

Very few consumer electronics products do EVERYTHING great. Nokia from the very beginning said it was a great low-light and video device with optical image stabilization that helps steady photo and video. They more than delivered on all of that. iPhones and Galaxy S 3 devices excel in ONE area...sometimes. The Lumia 920 camera excels in video picture quality, video audio quality, low light photography, medium light photography, Smart Shoot face aggregation....but yet it "sucks"?!?

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
These are actually a horrible representation of what the 920 can do in daytime photos. They are either HIGHLY edited or taken of close up items, which is not what the issue with the phone is.

I guarantee that I know how to shoot an image, and standing side by side with my iphone 4 and the 920, the iphone 4 just simply look sharper and clearer for almost every single daylight, outdoor picture. If it is someting "I" am doing wrong, I doubt Stephen Elop and others would have said that a fix is coming. Surely they are aware of it too.

Sigh. There was a conscious choice made to use aggressive "noise reduction" on the 920 picture processing, just as there was a conscious choice to bias toward little-to-no noise reduction on current iPhone imagining modules. The Nokia decision was to make low-light pictures look even better coupled with the huge amount of light the hardware brought in. The iPhone decision was made to best highlight their hardware capabilities.

The difference is you can increase sharpness or clarity in post easily with a Lumia until that becomes the default processing setting. The iPhone 4 or 5 cannot be updated to get the video picture or audio quality of the Lumia 920, nor can it match its low or moderate light capabilities. Somehow, in the twisted logic of this forum, that means the iPhone has a better camera.

Meanwhile, some of us extensively take low or moderate light photography with family and friends INDOORS. And I assure you, the camera rocks for those of us who appreciate what it is actually supposed to do.

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Sigh. There was a conscious choice made to use aggressive "noise reduction" on the 920 picture processing, just as there was a conscious choice to bias toward little-to-no noise reduction on current iPhone imagining modules. The Nokia decision was to make low-light pictures look even better coupled with the huge amount of light the hardware brought in. The iPhone decision was made to best highlight their hardware capabilities.

The difference is you can increase sharpness or clarity in post easily with a Lumia until that becomes the default processing setting. The iPhone 4 or 5 cannot be updated to get the video picture or audio quality of the Lumia 920, nor can it match its low or moderate light capabilities. Somehow, in the twisted logic of this forum, that means the iPhone has a better camera.

Meanwhile, some of us extensively take low or moderate light photography with family and friends INDOORS. And I assure you, the camera rocks for those of us who appreciate what it is actually supposed to do.

I never said the iphone4 was better overall. I have posted several times how great macro and low light shots are with the 920. I merely commented on my opinion about taking outdoor, daylight shots and compared the lumia with the iphone.

I believe the lumia is an amazing device that has potential to make me never use a point and shoot again and just stick with either my lumia or my Canon DSLR. I just wish that its default post-processing was changed a bit to not reduce the quality so much of outdoor shots.

Dr Arnheim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Also the nightlife shots are blurry (although less obvious because of noise low-light etc.) it's not a daylight issue ...

The camera module excels in SO many areas in both photo and video, but daytime default pictures are somewhat comparatively soft in the brightest conditions. How does that make camera suck, again? This is like buying an Audi A8L and saying "Sure, it's stylish, roomy, well-built, and fun to drive...but it's no good off-roading. Audi tried to make this seem like the be-all, end all, therefore the car sucks!"

Very few consumer electronics products do EVERYTHING great. Nokia from the very beginning said it was a great low-light and video device with optical image stabilization that helps steady photo and video. They more than delivered on all of that. iPhones and Galaxy S 3 devices excel in ONE area...sometimes. The Lumia 920 camera excels in video picture quality, video audio quality, low light photography, medium light photography, Smart Shoot face aggregation....but yet it "sucks"?!?

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I never said the iphone4 was better overall. I have posted several times how great macro and low light shots are with the 920. I merely commented on my opinion about taking outdoor, daylight shots and compared the lumia with the iphone.

I believe the lumia is an amazing device that has potential to make me never use a point and shoot again and just stick with either my lumia or my Canon DSLR. I just wish that its default post-processing was changed a bit to not reduce the quality so much of outdoor shots.

But even with daylight shots....not everyone has the same experience. I've taken a good number of outdoor photos of my wife and kids in the past week or two. Due to the personal nature, I'm not posting them here. But I don't believe my outdoor shots are mediocre or soft at all. I've gotten a number of complements on them. I love them. Learning how to compose a photo accounts for more quality than in-camera processing. Additionally, I tweak in either Fhotoroom or Nokia Creative Studio on all of my pictures to fine tune after the fact.

But even in bright light, I find Lumia to capture more accurate color and to be less susceptible to light blowing out parts of the frame. These things matter, just as "sharpness" does. I get it if people are underwhelmed with default daylight sharpness. That's one facet out of about 10-15 I can think of that go into a photo/video imaging device, and the Lumia 920 almost unarguably aces the vast majority of these.

kcovert

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I am a ****** and have seen unbiased posts showing the softness. I also blieve it will get corrected. Dark light pictures have been excellent, light or dark blurryness has not been an issue for me although I ocasionally do get a blurry picture. It seems to be more likley when I shoot pictures using the button versus tapping the screen to click.

sasha055

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

If Audi A8L was advertised for offroading.. then it would suck. And I agree that there are a lot of good things going on for 920, that's why I have a lumia 920 not an iPhone5, however when 80% of pics you take with your phone are soft and blurry.. for me this means "Camera SUCKS", I do agree that Video and nght shot pictures are best in class.

And no I'm not gonna buy an iPhone, if I wanted one I would've got one, I'm in Att slavery anyway, What I want is to make enough noise so the camera software will actually get fixed.

sasha055

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Damn you people spend a lot of time *****ing and whining. If everything is so sunshine and lollipops with iPhone go back to your ****ing iPhone.

If I wanted an iPhone I wouldn't have waited 2 weeks to get a Lumia.. and people like you are the reason that companies usually don't fix ****.. they know that "some ppl" will take it anyway

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
And no I'm not gonna buy an iPhone, if I wanted one I would've got one, I'm in Att slavery anyway, What I want is to make enough noise so the camera software will actually get fixed.

Making noise is one thing, but posting here on the WPC forums is much like putting your car into neutral and pushing the gas pedal all the way down.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
You know what sucks? More threads about how this phone supposedly sucks because of one reason or another. Suck it up, buttercup and exchange your phone if it isn't working properly. If it isn't what you had hoped or expected, return it and get another device. Past the 14 days? Sell it.

Just don't feel that after finding out the phone isn't the second coming of Christ you have some sort of moral obligation to come onto a message board and demonstrate your disdain over the Lumia 920, Nokia and AT&T.
It's a forum where people come to post their issues and problems. If you have a problem with that I suggest you ignore these posts and only stick to ones with pictures of people drooling over their Lumia 920. The guy is entitled to his opinion. He doesn't like the camera. He is fully entitled to this post. Just because you're satisfied with your Lumia 920 doesn't mean the whole world is.
The more I view threads on WP Central the more its obvious that you just cannot post about a WP8 related issue because someone like this guy (the guy I quoted) will come and act like a hero. People like you make potential new forum members from signing up.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Calm down dude. The reason he compared it with the iPhone is because its the benchmark whether that fact pinches you the wrong way or not. People will stop comparing it with the iPhone when Windows Phone will have 30-40% share and iPhone has 3% share.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
The 920 is a true point and shoot. Sure the day light photos are soft whatever that's what Creative Studio is for. But the point is you can point in show in low, medium, high lights and get good pictures.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site

You will see me defending the Lumia (and the camera) all over the forum. But your argument seems to be that Nokia made a camera phone with really good night shots at the expense of days shots. I would say, that if that is true, they shot themselves in the foot. YOU may take a bunch of low light shots, but I think the average user does not. People like to go outside. Not everyone sits inside and takes pics of family. I get where you are coming from. It sounds like you are happy with the compromise. But I think others are not. And that is fair too, no?

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Calm down dude. The reason he compared it with the iPhone is because its the benchmark whether that fact pinches you the wrong way or not. People will stop comparing it with the iPhone when Windows Phone will have 30-40% share and iPhone has 3% share.

Or maybe it could be that if people is looking to buy a phone for its camera then you might as well buy the Iphone. I mean it has been the benchmark for what 2 years? The 808 is not sold over here.

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I am pretty disappointed with it myself, especially after seeing the verge post the nice shots. I hope it's only software and it certainly does seem to be the case. It's either bad jpeg compression or they are trying to do too much processing on the photo. Personally I'd like to see a raw option. I haven't looked at the camera API or the new lens API enough to know if quality issues happen at that level or not.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills