Disappointed with the camera

Shap2012

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm still really shocked at just how bad this camera is (with high expectations) in daylight AND low light settings. Day light everything turns out overly soft, lack of detail, lack of sharpness, overly vibrant colors and a HORRIBLE white balance. Night try adding any slight movement to the scene and its all a blur. If I use a flash it guarantees red-eye every single time. Even with the low-light scene mode. Yes it has great light capture, but the photos are still out of focus soft with poor white balance.

I tested this side by side 100's of times now with my old iphone 4S and EVERY time with the exception of night scenery, the 4S is FAR superior. This really disappoints me. Any word on a camera software update to fix these issues or is this as good as it gets. I'd hate to have to carry around the 4S for daylight shots when I have this so called signature phone in my pocket. Sorry for the rant post, im just upset and a bit let down by nokia.

Shap2012

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Did you buy the phone before seeing reviews of it?

No I read every single review and relentlessness searched for info on the 920 every day before it came out.

When the reviews hit I thought they were iphone fanboys just hating on the 920 and didn't do it justice with the photos they were posting.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
I was very disappointed with the Lumia 900 camera when it first came out. Alot hype but that's it. Nokia is full of hype.
Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes I saw. People showing off their best photos. I've taken several great photos with the 920 I could add to it as well, but the problem is 90% of the time they are less than satisfactory, IMO.

By "less than satisfactory" you are comparing them to other phones? I find most phones to take inferior photos. Video is no contest. Took some footage from the Gwar show in T.O. Got very clear, loud footage of them ripping Hitler's face off. I'm happy with it.

If the quality isn't up to a standard you adhere to maybe a DSLR is what you should be using?

Emcee

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Just a tip, tap the screen to take a picture instead of using the camera button. I was using the button (half press to focus, then full press) and I couldn't get a clear shot to save my left. Then I just let the phone handle it haha.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes I saw. People showing off their best photos. I've taken several great photos with the 920 I could add to it as well, but the problem is 90% of the time they are less than satisfactory, IMO.

So you're saying 1 out of 10 pictures are good from this camera? Not in my experience.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
You know what sucks? More threads about how this phone supposedly sucks because of one reason or another. Suck it up, buttercup and exchange your phone if it isn't working properly. If it isn't what you had hoped or expected, return it and get another device. Past the 14 days? Sell it.

Just don't feel that after finding out the phone isn't the second coming of Christ you have some sort of moral obligation to come onto a message board and demonstrate your disdain over the Lumia 920, Nokia and AT&T.

Luke Kailburn

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
For me I would say that's about right. and only because about 1 out of 10 pics I take are low-light/night. THOSE come out amazing. But the 9 out of 10 that are in daytime are terrible compared to my 4S. The "photo" looks great on screen, then when it snaps the pic it instantly becomes blurred! As others were posting maybe its the image stabilization or something with the software because it looks like it'd be a great shot but then comes out blurry. Not blurry like I was swinging the camera while taking the picture but if you zoom in just 50 percent, there is NO detail whatsoever in the background landscape.

I just changed my settings back to 'tap to snap' because I thought too that the force required to push the physical button might be causing me to shake the phone when taking the picture(even wen resting the phone on a flat surface)

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
You know what sucks? More threads about how this phone supposedly sucks because of one reason or another. Suck it up, buttercup and exchange your phone if it isn't working properly. If it isn't what you had hoped or expected, return it and get another device. Past the 14 days? Sell it.

Just don't feel that after finding out the phone isn't the second coming of Christ you have some sort of moral obligation to come onto a message board and demonstrate your disdain over the Lumia 920, Nokia and AT&T.

False, Christ didn't come the first time 😈

Luke Kailburn

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

that's part of what these forums are for..post up what's not working so others can help provide insight as to why.

your attitude of "don't come onto the forum unless you have something nice to say" is fanboism. don't let your feelings get hurt because someone doesn't like something

eurovisionacts

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the daylight pictures really are not amazing... but since I am a night owl, really this takes a big dump on any phone in the market right now. No contest. So clear bar pictures here we come :)

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
...your attitude of "don't come onto the forum unless you have something nice to say" is fanboism. don't let your feelings get hurt because someone doesn't like something

Ah, you would be so right if that was where I was coming from but it is not.

Going back to the topic at hand, the OP made a pretty broad statement that the camera on the Lumia 920 sucks. Compared to an iPhone 4S. Without a side by side comparison.

It's an opinion and the user is entitled to it. The problem with a lot of similar threads is they have little to no objective basis behind them and are driven purely by the dissatisfaction of the OP based on expectations they had which were the result of buying into the marketing hype from Nokia, AT&T and various media outlets. Compared to a DSLR the Lumia 920 is not as good of a camera. Here is a shot of my kid sleeping on the couch taken with each camera to prove it.

OK OP, I do agree with you. Or, no I don't agree with you and here is why.

These don't all have to be 'friendly' conversations or heated debates but they should be able to generate more discussion other than uninformed opinions that lack any foothold in reality.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3