Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

I'm still really shocked at just how bad this camera is (with high expectations) in daylight AND low light settings. Day light everything turns out overly soft, lack of detail, lack of sharpness, overly vibrant colors and a HORRIBLE white balance. Night try adding any slight movement to the scene and its all a blur. If I use a flash it guarantees red-eye every single time. Even with the low-light scene mode. Yes it has great light capture, but the photos are still out of focus soft with poor white balance.

I tested this side by side 100's of times now with my old iphone 4S and EVERY time with the exception of night scenery, the 4S is FAR superior. This really disappoints me. Any word on a camera software update to fix these issues or is this as good as it gets. I'd hate to have to carry around the 4S for daylight shots when I have this so called signature phone in my pocket. Sorry for the rant post, im just upset and a bit let down by nokia.

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    Did you buy the phone before seeing reviews of it?

Please do post side-by-side comparison pictures.
    Have you even looked at the "pictures taken with your 920" thread?

You are holding it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by luckylifo View Post
    Please do post side-by-side comparison pictures.
    I'll snap and post some this afternoon for comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalWarrior View Post
    Have you even looked at the "pictures taken with your 920" thread?
    Yes I saw. People showing off their best photos. I've taken several great photos with the 920 I could add to it as well, but the problem is 90% of the time they are less than satisfactory, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Obi Juan View Post
    Did you buy the phone before seeing reviews of it?
    No I read every single review and relentlessness searched for info on the 920 every day before it came out.

When the reviews hit I thought they were iphone fanboys just hating on the 920 and didn't do it justice with the photos they were posting.
    Banned

Global Posts
    856 Global Posts
    I was very disappointed with the Lumia 900 camera when it first came out. Alot hype but that's it. Nokia is full of hype.
    Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express
    Quote Originally Posted by Shap2012 View Post
    Yes I saw. People showing off their best photos. I've taken several great photos with the 920 I could add to it as well, but the problem is 90% of the time they are less than satisfactory, IMO.
    By "less than satisfactory" you are comparing them to other phones? I find most phones to take inferior photos. Video is no contest. Took some footage from the Gwar show in T.O. Got very clear, loud footage of them ripping Hitler's face off. I'm happy with it.

If the quality isn't up to a standard you adhere to maybe a DSLR is what you should be using?

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Just a tip, tap the screen to take a picture instead of using the camera button. I was using the button (half press to focus, then full press) and I couldn't get a clear shot to save my left. Then I just let the phone handle it haha.
    Thanked by:
    Reflexx and Shap2012 like this.

Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shap2012 View Post
    So you're saying 1 out of 10 pictures are good from this camera? Not in my experience.
    Banned

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    You know what sucks? More threads about how this phone supposedly sucks because of one reason or another. Suck it up, buttercup and exchange your phone if it isn't working properly. If it isn't what you had hoped or expected, return it and get another device. Past the 14 days? Sell it.

Just don't feel that after finding out the phone isn't the second coming of Christ you have some sort of moral obligation to come onto a message board and demonstrate your disdain over the Lumia 920, Nokia and AT&T.

For me I would say that's about right. and only because about 1 out of 10 pics I take are low-light/night. THOSE come out amazing. But the 9 out of 10 that are in daytime are terrible compared to my 4S. The "photo" looks great on screen, then when it snaps the pic it instantly becomes blurred! As others were posting maybe its the image stabilization or something with the software because it looks like it'd be a great shot but then comes out blurry. Not blurry like I was swinging the camera while taking the picture but if you zoom in just 50 percent, there is NO detail whatsoever in the background landscape.

I just changed my settings back to 'tap to snap' because I thought too that the force required to push the physical button might be causing me to shake the phone when taking the picture(even wen resting the phone on a flat surface)
    Quote Originally Posted by wamsille View Post
    You know what sucks? More threads about how this phone supposedly sucks because of one reason or another. Suck it up, buttercup and exchange your phone if it isn't working properly. If it isn't what you had hoped or expected, return it and get another device. Past the 14 days? Sell it.

Just don't feel that after finding out the phone isn't the second coming of Christ you have some sort of moral obligation to come onto a message board and demonstrate your disdain over the Lumia 920, Nokia and AT&T.
    False, Christ didn't come the first time 😈
    aubreyq likes this.

that's part of what these forums are for..post up what's not working so others can help provide insight as to why.

your attitude of "don't come onto the forum unless you have something nice to say" is fanboism. don't let your feelings get hurt because someone doesn't like something
    Yeah, the daylight pictures really are not amazing... but since I am a night owl, really this takes a big dump on any phone in the market right now. No contest. So clear bar pictures here we come :)
    Banned

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    ...your attitude of "don't come onto the forum unless you have something nice to say" is fanboism. don't let your feelings get hurt because someone doesn't like something

Ah, you would be so right if that was where I was coming from but it is not.

Going back to the topic at hand, the OP made a pretty broad statement that the camera on the Lumia 920 sucks. Compared to an iPhone 4S. Without a side by side comparison.

It's an opinion and the user is entitled to it. The problem with a lot of similar threads is they have little to no objective basis behind them and are driven purely by the dissatisfaction of the OP based on expectations they had which were the result of buying into the marketing hype from Nokia, AT&T and various media outlets. Compared to a DSLR the Lumia 920 is not as good of a camera. Here is a shot of my kid sleeping on the couch taken with each camera to prove it.

OK OP, I do agree with you. Or, no I don't agree with you and here is why.

These don't all have to be 'friendly' conversations or heated debates but they should be able to generate more discussion other than uninformed opinions that lack any foothold in reality.
    Thanked by:
    RyanR47 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,656 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalWarrior View Post
    Took some footage from the Gwar show in T.O.
    You went to a Gwar show? Effing rad! :D

Global Posts
    589 Global Posts
    I'm with OP. I had better daytime pics from my BB9810 than from 920. And night pics make everybody's eyes glow. Mine will pause with clear pic on screen, then it saves a soft, dream sequence pic to phone. I've messed with settings and found a few that turn out better, but unless Nokia has a software fix I'm thinking the camera was all hype. The fanboys can continue to praise but the reality doesn't live up to the tests I have seen. I'll take great daytime pictures over glowing eyed low light pics any day. I used phone over Holiday and almost all indoor pics had glowing eyes and outdoor pics were just too soft. I want crisp, HD pics everytime. not 2 out of 10.

The daylight pictures really suck and you can see the same blur in night shots - so it is no daylight issue. It is absolutely ridiculous to claim the pictures of the 920 are on par or better than an iPhone, S III or the like. And yes, I own a 920 and a DSLR as well. I'm a photo enthusiast and the camera was a main reason to buy this phone. Btw, in the first review of engadet the blur problem was absent ...
    For those who want to see the difference go on slashgear or any other comparison.

Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    This camera blows away my s2 skyrocket. No comparison. I can't comment on the 920 vs an iPhone, but so far I'm happy with the results.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

...your attitude of "don't come onto the forum unless you have something nice to say" is fanboism. don't let your feelings get hurt because someone doesn't like something

Ah, you would be so right if that was where I was coming from but it is not.

Going back to the topic at hand, the OP made a pretty broad statement that the camera on the Lumia 920 sucks. Compared to an iPhone 4S. Without a side by side comparison.

It's an opinion and the user is entitled to it. The problem with a lot of similar threads is they have little to no objective basis behind them and are driven purely by the dissatisfaction of the OP based on expectations they had which were the result of buying into the marketing hype from Nokia, AT&T and various media outlets. Compared to a DSLR the Lumia 920 is not as good of a camera. Here is a shot of my kid sleeping on the couch taken with each camera to prove it.

OK OP, I do agree with you. Or, no I don't agree with you and here is why.

These don't all have to be 'friendly' conversations or heated debates but they should be able to generate more discussion other than uninformed opinions that lack any foothold in reality.
    While I generally appreciate most responses, I don't yours. My opinion is not an uninformed one and is based on my comparison of hundreds of photos and countless hours spending time with this camera. I compared it directly to my old iphone 4S instead of my canon t3i for more realistic expectations. My expectation was rather realistic. It should be able to beat out a past generation iphone. The 920 failed in that test. I didn't provide YOU the proof of this conclusion, but that does not mean I came to this conclusion without due diligence.

I'd be happy to provide side-by-sides soon as I can for those truly interested. Zoomed out on the phone, they both look acceptable, but transfer one to a PC or soon in 100% and its clear who the winner is unfortunately. I have no disdain or hatred for ATT or Nokia. I simply want them to improve.
    Thanked by:
    RyanR47 likes this.

I am all for an honest discussion about problems people are having with their phone. There are threads for just that. When you post a thread stating "this camera sucks". That is not going to lead to a constructive discussion.
    aubreyq, jdhooghe and iamtim like this.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast