Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 21 of 21
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By congusano
  • 1 Post By SteveISU
  • 1 Post By lordofthereef
  1. fradchad's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
       #1  
    I found that for the most part viewing the compressed image on the phone or after upload to anything is far from spectacular. Its after you sync your phone to your computer and get the full res image or use skydrive upload.... that you can view the full picture!

    I think many are falling prey to this and thinking the camera blows.
  2. Kevin Michaluk's Avatar
    Administrator

    Posts
    55 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,703 Global Posts
    #2  
    I shall try this out.

    One thing I've found really interesting on the Lumia 920 is how dark the view finder is, compared to the photo have you snap it.

    It's sort of one of those things that makes the night time camera abilities of the phone jump out even more, as the viewfinder is so dark/bad in comparison.

    How I test it...

    In a dark area.. nighttime photo, with both iPhone 5 and Lumia 920 in hand side by side in viewfinder. iPhone 5 display looks pretty bright still in the dark room, while the Lumia 920 display is really dark. Snap a photo on each. The iPhone 5 photo that is returned is very close in brightness to what was on the viewfinder. By the contrast, the Lumia 920 photo returned is WAYYYY brighter than what was on 920's viewfinder compared. Not sure if this is intentional or not, but it definitely creates a feeling that the 920 camera is AMAZING at turning a dark room into a bright photo. In reality, I'd say the photo returned is definitely better than iPhone 5 in most darker settings, but it just seems even that much better when you're not doing this comparison as the difference from viewfinder to actual photo brightness is so vast.

    Make sense? Easy to test out...
    Kevin Michaluk
    Founder, EIC, CrackBerry.com
    Chief Media Officer, Mobile Nations
    Currently trying out the Lumia 920 while on my Mobile Nations World Tour waiting for BlackBerry 10.
  3. congusano's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    381 Posts
    Global Posts
    382 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by fradchad View Post
    I found that for the most part viewing the compressed image on the phone or after upload to anything is far from spectacular. Its after you sync your phone to your computer and get the full res image or use skydrive upload.... that you can view the full picture!

    I think many are falling prey to this and thinking the camera blows.
    This has been beaten to death, but once you snap a picture using auto (best noticed outside with scenery...trees, grass, bushes, etc), you will notice that the image that looks VERY crisp in your screen gets soft and compressed before "sliding" to the left in to the camera roll. I don't use skydrive at all to view my pictures, but a simple drag from the windows explorer to my desktop still shows the softness and lack of detail that many people have expected. I also get irritated at users saying "its not the camera, its the user". Nope, not for me. i do have some experience with shooting photos. I know how to shoot a pin sharp shot with a dslr and I have never expected my smartphones camera to be as good, but the softness of the lumia920 is very noticeable.
    Thanked by:
    aubreyq likes this.
  4. Luke Kailburn's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    81 Posts
    #4  
    yup exactly^ you actually see the phone "blurring" the picture before sliding it to the left.

    I have my phone set to auto upload to skydrive. Maybe it's uploading a compressed image I don't know, but they quality is still terrible. looks just like it does on the phone.
  5. fradchad's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by congusano View Post
    This has been beaten to death, but once you snap a picture using auto (best noticed outside with scenery...trees, grass, bushes, etc), you will notice that the image that looks VERY crisp in your screen gets soft and compressed before "sliding" to the left in to the camera roll. I don't use skydrive at all to view my pictures, but a simple drag from the windows explorer to my desktop still shows the softness and lack of detail that many people have expected. I also get irritated at users saying "its not the camera, its the user". Nope, not for me. i do have some experience with shooting photos. I know how to shoot a pin sharp shot with a dslr and I have never expected my smartphones camera to be as good, but the softness of the lumia920 is very noticeable.
    I can see the point. I have noticed that too sometimes. This reminds me of 'Antenna Gate'. As Steve Jobs would say, "You're holding it wrong".

    In all seriousness though, in Aperature, after I import they look good. I am far from a photographer so I am no expert :)
  6. cameradork's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    561 Posts
    #6  
    Open the SkyDrive App, tap Settings, change "photo upload size" and "photo download size" to "original", and then make sure auto-upload in the Photos app is set to Best Quality (needs Wi-Fi). Those are the full-res images (after JPEG compression which you can't turn off yet, unfortunately), and you can do a surprising amount with them in post (Lightroom, Aperture, etc). It'll be really nice when someone writes an app that allows you to save the raw data (I poked around on Nokia's dev site and MSDN, and you should be able to do this), and then you can process them yourself.
  7. TK2011's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    229 Posts
    #7  
    Also, don't press down on the camera button in one motion. Always do half-press or tap on the screen to get the autofocus to lock.
  8. luckylifo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    94 Posts
    #8  
    Is it possible to take landscape pictures while the camera is in macro mode? I wonder if that'll improve the picture quality, considering all the macro pics look great.
  9. robstunner's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    #9  
    Just tried it the way u suggested it vs the photo i just emailed myself, sucks just as hard as the skydrive one.
    Thanked by:
  10. SteveISU's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    147 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,077 Global Posts
    #10  
    Nope, the image still sucks.
    Thanked by:
    jaqueh likes this.
  11. luckylifo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    94 Posts
    #11  
    Well, there's that :( Thanks for checking!
  12. joeynox's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    588 Posts
    Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    #12  
    The iPhone 5' s detail wipes the floor with the Lumia 920. Today I took close to 120 pictures of elevator equipment at work with my 920 and my coworker took a few also and the iPhones camera is amazing. Even in low light with the flashes on the iPhone was still better shooting at a subject. What's strange is on my screen the photo is super sharp and detailed but turns soft as the shutter refreshes. On top of the my low light pictures look like a garbage 3gs in doors. Outdoor night shots r great but indoors my screen turns white and the pictures are bad
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by joeynox View Post
    The iPhone 5' s detail wipes the floor with the Lumia 920. Today I took close to 120 pictures of elevator equipment at work with my 920 and my coworker took a few also and the iPhones camera is amazing. Even in low light with the flashes on the iPhone was still better shooting at a subject. What's strange is on my screen the photo is super sharp and detailed but turns soft as the shutter refreshes. On top of the my low light pictures look like a garbage 3gs in doors. Outdoor night shots r great but indoors my screen turns white and the pictures are bad
    I respect your opinion, though we don't share the same experiences, especially not in low light. My wife, who is stuck on Verizon due to a work line, has been wanting a Lumia 920 badly for that very reason. Her iPhone 5 can't old a candle to my Lumia's night shots. Day shots I agree are better on the iPhone 5 most of the time, but I still don't find the difference to be night and day.

    I think, and this is not necessarily directed at you, that there is a bit of a "grass is always greener" complex amongst smartphones and cameras these days. The disparity in quality is so minute that people nitpick the tiniest things. JMO of course.
    cameradork likes this.
  14. socialcarpet's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by joeynox View Post
    The iPhone 5' s detail wipes the floor with the Lumia 920. Today I took close to 120 pictures of elevator equipment at work with my 920 and my coworker took a few also and the iPhones camera is amazing. Even in low light with the flashes on the iPhone was still better shooting at a subject. What's strange is on my screen the photo is super sharp and detailed but turns soft as the shutter refreshes. On top of the my low light pictures look like a garbage 3gs in doors. Outdoor night shots r great but indoors my screen turns white and the pictures are bad
    Turn the flash on.
  15. Wayne Hixson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    14 Posts
    #15  
    I've had the opposite experience in that I find that my actual images turn out sharper than what I see in the viewfinder. To verify I've been taking dozens of photos of small text items, both zoomed and non-zoomed. I look closely at the viewfinder and move so I can barely read the text (in focus). Then I shoot, and in looking at the image on the phone, the text is easily readable (like a level or two higher on an eye chart, if you have experience with those).
  16. peachy001's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    866 Posts
    #16  
    Apologies for the silly question. I have taken a few shots on my phone and sent them to my own email. I am assume they send them at full resolution. Is that right?
  17. Byzantium's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Michaluk View Post
    I shall try this out.

    One thing I've found really interesting on the Lumia 920 is how dark the view finder is, compared to the photo have you snap it.

    It's sort of one of those things that makes the night time camera abilities of the phone jump out even more, as the viewfinder is so dark/bad in comparison.
    I bet you anything that this is done by design, Kevin.
  18. robstunner's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    #18  


    skydrive vs emailed
  19. Nataku4ca's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    429 Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Michaluk View Post
    I shall try this out.

    One thing I've found really interesting on the Lumia 920 is how dark the view finder is, compared to the photo have you snap it.
    I'm getting the feeling it's the auto brightness setting for your display playing tricks, try setting manual brightness to high and then turn auto brightness on after that

    I didn't know auto brightness actually depends on where your manual brightness is set until i got bored one day and fiddled around with me 800... i could actually see my display in sunlight after doing that lol
  20. congusano's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    381 Posts
    Global Posts
    382 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by luckylifo View Post
    Is it possible to take landscape pictures while the camera is in macro mode? I wonder if that'll improve the picture quality, considering all the macro pics look great.
    possible, but the focus will be horrible. macro forces the focus to be relatively close, so if you want to shoot a beautiful mountain, don't use macro, or it will only focus up to a couple of feet in front of the lens.
  21. jaqueh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    99 Posts
    #21  
    Yeah... oh yeah....no that doesn't do jack

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-13-2012, 11:22 AM
  2. You guys able to get to the marketplace?
    By novaprime9 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-15-2012, 04:24 PM
  3. The camera is just great !
    By sheitan in forum HTC Mozart
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-07-2011, 05:27 AM
  4. Why the Focus is awesome
    By baseballbert in forum Samsung Focus
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-26-2011, 11:36 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-03-2011, 11:44 PM

Posting Permissions