Screen goes black when calling or receiving calls

sakahn

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
After getting tired of this issue, I finally took my phone to Nokia Care. Front camera had lots of dust and screen turned dark as soon as I receive or make any call. Nokia care took 5 days and returned it. This is what the repair note says:

"Software error - Flashed new firmware".

So basically they updated my phone to Portico. But I can see that they cleaned the Front camera. Now there is no dust and the issue with screen turning dark is gone. I will keep my fingers crossed, but if the problem returns then I am definitely returning the phone for an exchange.

fanboyy

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
It started happenning to me a week or so ago, after having the phone for about three months. Using an "air duster" of the sort PC repair guys use to blow several puffs into the ear speaker at the top center of the handset put it right for me. I think this will become standard preventive maintenance like changing an automobile air filter or vacuuming dust from a refrigerator fan assembly. I must say it was an incredibly inconvenient and annoying problem.

Shaoxiong Jiang

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Try pushing hard on the ear speaker(left next to your front camera) when you want your screen back from a black out.
Still not sure if that is a software issue or hardware issue.

Jason Wells

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I had the same prob. wiping phone off, pushing down on it didn't help. So I blew it out with compressed air and my phone is working normally again. I could see a grain of dust in the camera, now its gone. I wonder if that was it. I blew the air into the speaker slot. Looks like there may be a leak in that area for dust.

M S Negi

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I was getting same issue while calling or receiving calls, I just pressed my screen on top very gently as one of the member guided in the blog and it worked for me...thanks...

Last edited:

surffari

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
For me help came with using front camera, probably adjusts the sensitivity for light. Very bright out, so indoors phone thinks that the sensor is blocked all the time.

Now works again nicely.

Kofi A

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Screen goes black when calling or receiving This happens when the phone proximity sensor is bloc

This happens when the phone proximity sensor is blocked.
Protective films should be genuine and meant for the device.
If you have a protective film covering the screen, clean thoroughly Proximity Sensor of phone.
If this does not work, cut off the portion covering the proximity sensor.
Replace the screen protective with genuine one.
A scratch on the proximity switch may make this happen

LawyerLynda

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Comprehensive List of Fixes

(originally posted elsewhere)

What ultimately worked for me was calibrating the proximity sensor. Mine is a new Android 6" phablet, so I suspected it was a "settings" issue rather than a dust problem. But before I resolved my problem, I read every forum I could find on the topic. So, I thought it might be helpful to provide a summary of nearly ALL of the "fixes" I ran across, with the hope that one of them will work for you! You might get a chuckle out of some of these, as well. I sure did.

Calibrate the Sensor
Step-by-step:
1:Choose Settings;
2:Choose Display;
3:Choose Als_ps calibration; (may be worded differently on your phone)
4: Use a finger or other object to COVER THE SENSOR;
5: Follow the calibration prompts carefully.
(In my case, I simply had to click "Calibrate" followed by "OK".

Clean the Sensor
  • "Just pucker your lips and blow the dust off the top edge of the screen. That's it."
  • "take an old toothbrush and clean out the earpiece"
  • Spray a burst of compressed air into the orifices of your phone.
  • Simply wipe away smudges on the outside of the sensor and front-facing camera lens

Uncover the Sensor
Make sure that the sensor isn't obstructed. Did you remove the packing film? If you are using a cover, does it obscure the sensor at all? If so, remove the cover, cut out the appropriate corner, and replace.

Misc. Random and Quirky Ideas (quoted)
aka "The Users and Pushers Fix"
  • "For me help came with using front camera, probably adjusts the sensitivity for light. Very bright out, so indoors phone thinks that the sensor is blocked all the time."
  • "The camera trick didn't do it for me until I took a video using the front facing camera."
  • "apparently if you put pressure between the att logo and the ear speaker on the top of the phone, the screen comes back on" (My phone isn't ATT, and it doesn't have a logo, but, hey, I'm trying to be thorough...)
  • "try gently pushing your screen 'in' this cured the issue for me for my old 920 what used to click when i pressed the top"
  • "Try pushing hard on the ear speaker(left next to your front camera) "
  • "uninstalled Skype, took a photo & video with the front camera and soft-rebooted,"
  • " I reboot my phone in a really dark room. After that my phone keeps working for a few days"
  • "shining a very bright light into the proximity sensor"
  • "I powered off the phone, then covered the proximity sensor (near the front camera and the Nokia logo), and powered it on again in a dark place"
  • re "my Lumia 920 on EE in UK, ... I have since installed the 1308 update and this has sorted out the issue"

Most Creative Idea*
[Warning: Do Not Try This At Home, or May Be Hazardous To Your Health. Just sayin'.]

"need to open the phone (only two screws ;-) ) .... I just added a peace of sponge (W:4mm/H:5mm/L:15mm) (all weather door and window sealant) -that comes self adheasive from one side- and sticked a small peace on the board on the opposite side of the phonejack/secondary mic connectors ... this will add pressure on the board to be more tight ;-) tried it and working as normal. "
*See entire post here. There are pictures!

A Summary of the Summary
  • If you have a NEW PHONE, it is probably a calibration issue.
  • If you have a phone that was working properly before but is no longer being cooperative, it is probably a dirt, dust, or obstruction issue.

Anyone remember the days of rotary dial phones. It was so much simpler...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium