Screen goes black when calling or receiving calls

toupac

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else experience this? Is there a fix for this? Just started experiencing these past couple days and not sure why. Its annoying because I can't hang up nor put it on speaker if needed.

pikablu0530

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else experience this? Is there a fix for this? Just started experiencing these past couple days and not sure why. Its annoying because I can't hang up nor put it on speaker if needed.

Make sure there's nothing (i.e. your hand, or if you put any cover on, the cover) blocking the proximity sensor, which is located on the top of the phone I believe.

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

check for a smudge on the upper right corner above the N in Nokia...I believe that is where the proximity sensor is.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
You don't still have the front screen shield from shipping on do you? There was another person with this issue and it turned out to be the culprit.

fkiehner

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Had same problem. Also had dirt in front camera which I think got into prox sensor. Took it back and got another 920. No problems so far.
Sent from my WP8 920 using Board Express

Joseph Munford

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
same issue with me and its sporadic, sometimes does it, sometimes doesn't. I used caned air to clean the device and worked great for a few days. so could be dust not to sure as there is no visual evidence.

charliekrad

May 19, 2012
Visit site
if you have this issue try gently pushing your screen "in" this cured the issue for me for my old 920 what used to click when i pressed the top, i had to push the screen in everytime i wanted to end the call or do anything while on a call. hope this helps :)

SeNiLe911

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I just started having this problem a few days ago along with other issues. I haven't found a fix... except return it once the AT&T store gets more stock in. I'm on my second 920. Hope I don't have a strikeout once I get my third!

Brice Rogers

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Seems like a widespread problem, which is unfortunate for such a nice phone. While people advocate different solutions (blow on the top, clean the sensor, adjust brightness and sensitivity), the only thing that works for me is squeezing the top left corner of the phone, right on the ATT logo. That, for some reason, makes the screen come on every time, and therefore makes me think it's a hardware issue. Anyway, just my 2 cents in case anyone hadn't had any luck with any of the other solves.

JConn_Lefty

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site
i have similar issues with my phone.

for some reason, my back, home, and search buttons do not light up. it turns on, then turns off immediately. this happens under bright and dark conditions. i have no screen protector so it's not a matter of something blocking the censors, the censor on my 920 is just not working properly.

if i turn the phone off and turn on again, it works again for a period of time. then it stops again. same thing when im on the phone. sometimes it registers, sometimes it doesn't. i'm not going to replace my 920 however. this is not enough for me to take a chance with another 920 which might come with other, bigger issues like my first 920 which froze on me almost on a daily basis.

aessing

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
charliekrad said:
if you have this issue try gently pushing your screen "in" this cured the issue for me for my old 920 what used to click when i pressed the top, i had to push the screen in everytime i wanted to end the call or do anything while on a call. hope this helps :)

I have the exact same issue and I can solve it on a per call base like describe by charliekrad.
Hope this could be solved by a Software update... already Switch my phone to a new one, but that has the same issue.

EDIT: I think this behaviour should come up the first time after the last Display+Touch Updated... can somebody agree that?

Last edited:

ransunsan

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I have had this "proximity sensor" problem 2 times. The first time it was due to a dirty screen which gave the "wrong" signal that something (dirt) was close to the screen. The second time it wasn?t dirt, now I can see 2 small scratches in the screen glass, just above the proximity sensor, and think that it is those causing the faulty info (something is close) while it is not.
On Lumia 800 there is a self test ("call" ##634# ) and a setup of diagnosstics test possibilities will open.
Scroll down to PROXIMITY test and run it.
On lumia 800 a green circle means it?s ON, if it works, there should be a yellow circle showing that
it is not on, UNTIL you put your hand above the sensor, then it should turn green, and back to yellow when
you move your hand away.
This only tests the sensor, it doesn?t repair it :-/

sakahn

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same issue. Seems there is no solution. Not using any screen protector. Phone worked fine for a month, and developed the problem this morning. I tried all the suggested steps to no avail.

densbucs

Aug 22, 2009
Visit site
My 920 is doing this now. Every now and then my wife's 800 will do this as well. There needs to be a way to adjust whatever sensor needs to be adjusted.

ROCKHOPPER71

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Same here. I am on my second phone. This one is on it's way. If this continues I will be considering switching to the HTC.
I really like the interface but am starting to hate the phone.

erike3198

Aug 10, 2007
Visit site
I think it has to do with dust getting on my front facing camera, which is confusing the phone into thinking its near my face when its not. I sprayed some canned air near the ear speaker and it cleaned the lens a little, think its working better for now.

alyschain

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Use gas duster/air duster. Those compressed gas duster like Dust:Off. I hit the camera with it and the surrounding area and it fixed it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa