Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Global Posts
    2,062 Global Posts
    "Living With Lumia" by Christina Warren, pretty good 10 day trip into WP from an iOS devotee.

Make with the WP purchase already one time why dontcha for pete's sake. Honestly.....

Why people are so obsessed with Instagram I'll never know.
    Blackjack 2 - Epix - Focus - Lumia 900

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    Thanks for sharing, Bert. I appreciated Cristina's take on the 920. She appeared honest throughout the entire video and I liked that she pointed out how much she liked the Start screen's advantages over iOS. She made a good point about how disruptive WP has been (UI-wise) and how she expects Apple to react and do something about their stale home screen.

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lolpetewtf View Post
    Why people are so obsessed with Instagram I'll never know.
    Seriously. I wasn't expecting Instagram to be the app she couldn't live without. I don't think she'll have to wait long for it, though.

Global Posts
    1,084 Global Posts
    Never understood the obsession with instagram. Taking hipstamatic photo's doesn't make you look retro. If you want to look like your in the 80's ditch the $600 smartphone and get AIDS.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveISU View Post
    Never understood the obsession with instagram. Taking hipstamatic photo's doesn't make you look retro. If you want to look like your in the 80's ditch the $600 smartphone and get AIDS.
    I have seen some great shots on instagram, generally without any added filters. I don;t necessarily see the appeal to the extent that some others do, but I figure I'll take it. People want it, it will get more people to adopt the OS, thus attracting other devs as well. It is a win for everyone (aside from MS if WP flops since they are bankrolling a lot of these devs).
    aubreyq likes this.

Global Posts
    1,084 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
    I have seen some great shots on instagram, generally without any added filters. I don;t necessarily see the appeal to the extent that some others do, but I figure I'll take it. People want it, it will get more people to adopt the OS, thus attracting other devs as well. It is a win for everyone (aside from MS if WP flops since they are bankrolling a lot of these devs).
    Oh I'm not saying they shouldn't come to WP8, but a photo app being that important? I'm struggling with the fact there's no citibank app. No access to my funds. This phone however might actually save me money in the long run. When my wife texts me to transfer her money I can say "Sorry, don't have access to that right now".
    aubreyq likes this.

i was in the same situation as her, coming from an iPhone and new to Windows Phone (just like a lot of other Lumia 920 owners in here) and i made a list of positives versus negatives as i adapted to the phone and my list of positives far outweighed the list of negatives. i really hope she's a tech writer though and not normally talking or on video. the way she spoke and how her mouth moved was really distracting and she had an INSANE amount of 'vocal fry' which i couldn't get over either.

i think when it comes down to it, it all depends on how you use your phone. for some people that rely on a lot of iOS or android exclusive apps it sadly just won't be an option for them at this moment.

coming form having iOS for 3 years
    i understand everything she is saying
    but I have always preferred Windows to OSX
    so i given WP8 a chance and I have not been disappointed
    yeah the little hap-tic feedback is annoying sometimes, not having a stock battery percentage, a version of notification center, backgrounds other than light and dark, better task killer/manager, a way to organize apps by category and maybe swipe like keyboard... would make it perfect IMO

Apps will come be patient.

hopefully with Apollo + and w/e comes after it some of the minor issues above are "fixed"
    aubreyq likes this.

I see Microsoft covertly patenting everything about WP8 that Apple, or Google, might be interested in reproducing and then suing them into the stone ages. Sue Lawyer, Sue.
    Oh I'm not saying they shouldn't come to WP8, but a photo app being that important? I'm struggling with the fact there's no citibank app. No access to my funds. This phone however might actually save me money in the long run. When my wife texts me to transfer her money I can say "Sorry, don't have access to that right now".
    different strokes I guess.

Citi doesn't have a website you can just log into?

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B T C View Post
    I see Microsoft covertly patenting everything about WP8 that Apple, or Google, might be interested in reproducing and then suing them into the stone ages. Sue Lawyer, Sue.
    +1 Nice use of a Brian Reagan quote haha!

Global Posts
    661 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aubreyq View Post
    Thanks for sharing, Bert. I appreciated Cristina's take on the 920. She appeared honest throughout the entire video and I liked that she pointed out how much she liked the Start screen's advantages over iOS. She made a good point about how disruptive WP has been (UI-wise) and how she expects Apple to react and do something about their stale home screen.
    There's always hope, I guess, but I don't expect Apple to do anything of the sort. One of the most common reasons to jailbreak is to run Lockinfo or Intelliscreen. Android has featured glanceable widgets since it's humble beginnings. PalmOS had an agenda view home screen option before the iPhone was ever launched, as did Windows Mobile before WP7. Apple has always viewed this feature as an anachronism, like having a hardware keyboard or a USB port. We're well into the 6th version of iOS, and still nothing but Notification Center, which is not a substitute for any decent lockscreen. Apple isn't going to change iOS to be more like everyone else.
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Palm Tungsten T > Palm Treo 650 > Palm Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Hero > Palm Pre > iPhone 4 > LG Quantum > Nokia Lumia 920 > iPhone 5S

Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    She clearly is not a fan of Android. Pretty fair review and seems open-minded for an Apple fangirl.
    aubreyq likes this.

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I think instagram is now more about the social network than the filters

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I never saw this on the mashable homepage and I'm a little upset about that

Global Posts
    1,084 Global Posts
    different strokes I guess.

Citi doesn't have a website you can just log into?

I can, it's not as efficient and I can't deposit checks via the website.

Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Instagram is popular, people love it, and it's time for MSFT to take whatever steps are necessary to get it to WP8.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,084 Global Posts
    Question is why are major developers not coming or staying on WP?
    Thanked by:

I too saw this early this morning and was impressed with how she seemed to be completely honest and validated her criticisms.
    aubreyq likes this.

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Thanks for the comments guys -- it was really fun to do this 12 day experiment and I have to say, I wound up really enjoying the platform more than I anticipated. As I said in my video, I'll keep the phone around as I want to follow the developer story. If you want to read my full post, it's up now http://mashable.com/2012/11/27/livin...lumia-wrap-up/.

A couple of notes about Instagram:

The way I use it isn't for the filters -- it's because it's the best way I have to see what is happening in the lives of my friends and family. I've really become reliant on that ecosystem and for me and my circle, I find that Instagram is a much better way to get a glimpse into what's happening in the lives of my friends rather than going to Facebook or Twitter (which I can't use like a normal person anyway, just by the nature of what I do). I didn't expect it to be the most important app to me either -- but it's certainly up there.

I got my first smartphone my sophomore year of college, it was a Treo 270. Over the years I moved from Palm to Win Mo to BlackBerry before settling into iOS (after a brief respite with Android). What I loved about Windows Phone was that return to the glanceable nature of tasks on a home screen, as someone upthread mentioned. When I first reviewed Windows Phone in 2010, I liked a lot of the ideas but wasn't sold on the execution.

Last year, with Mango, we were closer, but still not there. What excites me most is that finally, finally, Windows Phone is ready to go on to the next level. The pieces are in place for really cool stuff to get developed.
    Thanked by:
    baseballbert likes this.

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by raymondromero View Post
    i was in the same situation as her, coming from an iPhone and new to Windows Phone (just like a lot of other Lumia 920 owners in here) and i made a list of positives versus negatives as i adapted to the phone and my list of positives far outweighed the list of negatives. i really hope she's a tech writer though and not normally talking or on video. the way she spoke and how her mouth moved was really distracting and she had an INSANE amount of 'vocal fry' which i couldn't get over either.

i think when it comes down to it, it all depends on how you use your phone. for some people that rely on a lot of iOS or android exclusive apps it sadly just won't be an option for them at this moment.
    Apologies for the video/audio quality. The point of the experiment was to do it candid/confessional style, but the florescent lighting of our office and the mic on my headphones didn't really work out well. I tend to get good feedback on my TV appearances but I'm always looking for feedback (good or bad) to improve. I'm glad you're enjoying Windows Phone!

Question is why are major developers not coming or staying on WP?
    Will Pundits Kill Windows Phone 8? | News & Opinion | PCMag.com this might explain some reasons.

MS really needs to step it up with the app situation

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Nice video review I enjoyed it she seems honest enough throughout it and I can see a lot of myself in her review (The whole 'It's sometimes nice to use something just different and that works' aspect she talks about a lot)

Instagram I think is the biggest shortfall there are a lot of people who use it for various reasons and there is no reason for it not to be on WP8 especially since Facebook owns them and MS has pull with Facebook. From what I hear on other blogs and podcasts though it sounds like MS has been working with them and its just a matter of timing thing. I expect they want it to be a very good app and MS shows they can get big names when they need to (aka Pandora)

I would like to see a revisit to the Lumia if/when the Instagram app comes out to see if with that added how much more likely you would be to switch (Or better yet do the same thing with the HTC 8X which is on Verizon)
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by windocks96 View Post
    coming form having iOS for 3 years
    i understand everything she is saying
    but I have always preferred Windows to OSX
    so i given WP8 a chance and I have not been disappointed
    yeah the little hap-tic feedback is annoying sometimes, not having a stock battery percentage, a version of notification center, backgrounds other than light and dark, better task killer/manager, a way to organize apps by category and maybe swipe like keyboard... would make it perfect IMO

Apps will come be patient.

hopefully with Apollo + and w/e comes after it some of the minor issues above are "fixed"
    I've been a life-long Mac user with one ill-fated move into Windows XP and a much happier experience with Windows 7 (I still use both Mac OS X and Windows 7)

I've never had an iPhone. Despite my preference for the Mac OS over the years, the iPhone never really grabbed me. I had a Blackberry, then an Android phone which I absolutely despised, then I went to Windows Phone. Windows Phone just seemed "right" to me from the beginning. In fact I almost got one before the Android "experiment" but I wasn't really excited by any of the phones offered back then and NoDo hadn't come out just yet so there was no copy/paste even, so I went with Android against my better judgement.

I agree with most of her review, it seems very fair and it's encouraging to me that even someone who is a pretty diehard iPhone fan can see that Windows Phone has something to offer and some important new thinking, especially when it comes to the home screen. I also appreciate her mild disdain for Android, because I personally think it's shyte.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast