Switched from a Nokia Pureview 808 to 902 what I miss from the 808

igmas

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
After using the 902 for few days I have come to miss a few things that the 808 could do that to my knowledge 902 can't.

1. Alarm clock works even if the phone is turned off. I think this is a great feature on the 808 that you can turn your phone off at night to save battery, plus not hearing the annyoing sound brrp brrp that comes out of the speaker when the phones is using the 3G network.

2. Full length and customizable ringtones for call , sms etc

3.File explorer

4.Pull down for fast access to wifi , 3g , airplane mode and bluetooth.

5. FM-sender

6. Profiles! why MS why where is my silent option? :(

Other than that I like the look and feel of the 902 :)

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Symbian is a full evolved OS that's had plenty of time to add all of these extra features. Windows Phone is (relatively) new and one of the primary focuses behind Windows Phone is to keep the interface as uncluttered as possible and avoid "feature creep".

That is why you may never see all of the functionality of Symbian in Windows Phone, however overall it's a much more polished and powerful OS and I think you will see some of these features arrive in later updates.

igmas

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Well did Microsoft forget evetything that they learned from Windows Mobile because that os is almost as old as symbian?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Well did Microsoft forget evetything that they learned from Windows Mobile because that os is almost as old as symbian?

No, they didn't forget everything they learned from Windows Mobile, which is one of the reasons WP isn't an ugly cluster**** of fail like WM was for many years. But I understand WP needs more functionality, I think we all agree on that. All in good time. I'd rather wait than have them poorly implement things.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Your silent option is at the top when you press a volume key. That little circle on the top right. Press that.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
MS didn't forget everything they learned, but they did have to practically start all over.

Let's say you built a big city with many features, but it was sort of a nightmare as it got bigger and bigger. Over 50 years it grew and grew and grew. The roads weren't optimized. The layout for the residential and commercial districts were a mess. Sure, the city was big and has all the perks of a big city, but it also had a lot of issues.

So now let's say you could start all over building that city. You could get your best civil engineers together for the task and they'd design the city to work more efficiently. They'd make it less of a nightmare. The only problem with starting over is... well, you're starting over. You at least have a blueprint of how to make all of those things that you had in the big city, so it won't take 50 years. It might take 10. But it still takes time.

That's how I see Windows Phone versus Windows CE.

Windows CE was the big city. It was a very functional and powerful OS, but it was not really smooth to use. It wasn't very user friendly. It also wasn't as touch friendly. It could do practically everything, but it did it in a clunky way. For over a decade, MS built it up, but the original design wasn't the best foundation.

Windows Phone 8 (WP7 was actually based on Windows CE) is that city reimagined. We know how to make all of the features and functions, but first the foundation had to be laid. Then things are built on top of that. And then things are built on top of those things. It will take time. It won't be a decade. It might be 2 or 3 more years before it's as fully featured. Heck, it could be even quicker since it shares the kernel of Windows.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3