Phone freezes overnight

nico002

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

On a fairly consistent basis I find myself waking up to a frozen phone.

I usually go to bed and place my 920 on the wireless charging pad. In the morning, the phone will be frozen/locked up and require a hard restart.

I'm guessing this has something to do with the wireless charging or the bing background updating overnight.

Anyone experience this?

damon312

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I've seen this issue with my red L920. Though it only happened once. I didn't have any of the setups you had however it still locked up over night. After the initial time, i've not seen this as a reocurring issue but it could be because I don't have the wireless charger yet and tend to not have any apps running overnight on it.

Laceym

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
My wife's phone did this twice on the factory charger. I re-flashed it last night using the steps to recover a bricked phone since that seemed to help the issues I was having with my phone. We'll see how hers does in a few days.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
This is not like your situation but could be related. When my phone is on the charger, the screen sensitivity goes down to the point where it's basically unusable. I have to unplug it for the screen to become usable.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
If it freezes, cover it with a blanket.
But in all seriousness, I would exchange. Bing wallpaper should lock up the phone, doesn't lock up mine.

Harry Ola

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I have had this same problem. Only had the phone 2 nights and it has been frozen both times when I got up in the morning. Mine is sat on the wireless charger overnight as well. That said, I have been able to wake mine with a soft reset, which I guess is not all that different from switching it on again!

Mike Smit

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Mine freezes every night, no exceptions. however i have found a few workarounds.

1. set your lock screen to never and leave your screen on.
2. put it in airplane mode

however there are a few oddities, it may appear that your phone totally froze but you still recieve incomming calls which leads me to believe that only the output and input interfaces froze.
also that the freeze occurs because the phone does some automated synching/pinging to some server, however the phone fails to go out of inactive mode.

inactive mode is triggered when the phone is not used for 2 hours at all (including incoming calls etc.)

i also have had some daytime freezes, which all happened after listening music with the xbox music app. whatsapp also uses this interface to prevent the os from putting it inactive, so it could be the switch from the user song to the "not excisting/non playable" song used by whatsapp.

to be sure that the overnight freezing is not caused by a particular app, i will monitor the phone with a packet sniffer and a dedicated wifi (wifi is also a game breaker but not the only one. disableling wifi reduces the freeze chance from 99% to 80%.)

i rely on my phone to wake me up in the morning so this really annoys me. i'l report my findings with the packet sniffer.

EDIT: the 2 work arounds both work, however airplane mode is the only one that does no damage ( as you all know that when a screen displays the same images for hours at a time with no change that part of the image COULD be permanent)

LeopardSurd

May 30, 2014
Visit site
It's a common problem with HTC 8X too. I plug the phone for changing every night (with a wall charger). Sporadically I find my phone unresponsive in the morning (the screen remains off even after short-pressing the power button). The only solution for me: Long-pressing the power button (10-20 min) and the phone will force restart itself (8X has no removable battery too).
It's seems that it occurs often when the WiFi is on. I don't use Bing lock screen. Just a simple picture.
This problem occurs with WP8 and WP8.1 too. I think it's software related.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss