12-11-2012 12:09 PM
- I had a waitress ask me about it at a diner last week. She was so excited when she saw the phone because her co-worker was "obsessed" -- I let her take it to the back to show him. On Thanksgiving, we were in a restaurant (we're New Yorkers) and when I was taking photos of my surf and turf, I could hear people around me commenting about the phone and pointing to look -- which was really cool. Microsoft and Nokia really need to take advantage of this momentum and buzz because I wasn't expecting this.
I carry and review just about every new toy that hits the market and with the exception of the iPad mini and the iPhone 5, I can't recall any other device this calendar year that elicited feedback and commentary from strangers.11-27-2012 06:59 PMLike 3
- 11-28-2012 08:58 AM
- I actually have multiple stories about my Nokia Lumia 920 (black).
First day I got it I was asked if it actually that was a phone because of the size.
All the girls were like "OMG its so big/hug/like a brick". I couldn't help myself and go with the "that's what she said" jokes.
When to a football game and I started taking pictures, a friend of mine was soo please with the image quality that she took my phone and started taking pictures of everybody for an complete hour.
Am I pleased with my phone? **** yeah. It's bulky, fast and it calls for everybody attention. Even people with iPhones and Androids drop their jaws when they see the phone.
:)11-28-2012 09:13 AM
- Someone at my office wanted to see my new phone as I had been waiting to upgrade my cracked screen WP7 for like 3 months. The reaction was very positive to the L920. The most memorable reaction was when I went to the gamer's hub and my avatar walked on the screen and waved. My coworker was awed about the walking on screen part and actually waved back to the avatar:)
That kind of makes me think Microsoft has gold if they can make the avatar interact with the user!11-28-2012 11:20 AM
- 11-28-2012 12:30 PM
I know everyone is different but there is NO WAY I'd let someone else have nothing more but a quick glance at my phone11-28-2012 01:05 PM
- I cringe at the thought of my phone being passed around by 15 people. Another guy on this thread let his phone be taken to the back of a restaurant and another let his friend use his phone as a camera for an hour.
I know everyone is different but there is NO WAY I'd let someone else have nothing more but a quick glance at my phone11-28-2012 01:10 PM
- i had just such an encounter on monday when a business acquaintance (yep, iPhone user....ya know it) suddenly went 'ooooh a Windows phone.....how is it to use?' at which point i started waxing lyrical and doing the 'flick the UI around' stuff...it's only a black 800 so it wasn't the spangly newness of the phone that caught his eye, but obviously the advertising recognition is starting to soak in, especially with the more 'aware' (i was gonna say 'tech-savvy' but that's a disservice to the ever-more-vast phone market) and people are seeing it as interesting and desirable, rather than just 'not one of us' (lol)11-28-2012 02:54 PM
- 11-28-2012 03:00 PM
- I work in a call center, and we were having a little downtime. Everyone had their phones out. Iphones, S3's, I pull out the Lumia and started texting. My manager an Apple fanboy saw my 920 called me a blasphemer. That led to everyone wanting to see the phone and ask about colors.11-28-2012 04:47 PM
- this happened to me today. i was taking the city metro bus to downtown. i sat down in a seat next to a couple. pulled out my phone and browsed this site for a min then the guy asked me what phone did i have. i told him it was a lumia 920 and showed him the start screen. he asked who made that? (at the time he was holding an iphone 4. when he asked who made that he put his iphone in his pocket and i laughed inside a lil bit) i told him nokia. let him play with it for about 5min. told him it was an at&t exclusive right now. he said his contract was up in december and he may have to switch. it kind of felt good in a pride sort of way.11-28-2012 05:05 PM
- It's Cyan (as was my 900). Yes, it's an obnoxious color but in a funny way that was kind of the point.
I am actually an industrial designer who has worked on phone design projects (as well as tablets, tv's etc etc) for several of the largest cell phone manufacturers, as well as working on Windows phone 7 "related products" before it was released a few years ago. I have been so fed up of the mundaneness of the iphone and all of its rounded black rectangle with a splash of chrome " samsung clones" ever since that i was waiting and waiting and waiting for a device like the Lumia to use windows phone and jumped at the product when launched. So when it came, i wanted the color that made it the most obviously not an iPhone! (and i like matte finishes, so the upgrade had to be cyan really!)
on a side note, as someone who as worked on endless " make a cell phone that is better than an iphone" briefs. I can tell you that it was a simple case of Nokia finally being the first one to have the balls (/ be desperate enough) to actually go with an interesting/ different form factor over everyone else. Designers didn't just stop designing interesting phones, it was more that all the major companies wanted a slice of the apple pie (excuse the pun!) and wanted to stick as close as possible to that form factor in order to be as un-risky as possible.
So i just want to say a big thank you to Nokia for doing this as it has made what has been a "head banging against a brick wall" job for the past 4 years into an enjoyable and interesting one again now that companies are willing to try these things (see HTC 8x and co).
if you don't mind me asking, how did you get into industrial design? That's the field I want to go into, and I'd love to pick your brain if you wouldn't mind. :3
Back on topic, everyone stares at my Red 920, but no one has asked yet.11-28-2012 07:08 PM
It's a long and hard course/ road from day one of the degree to full time employment ( 4 year minimum course, 1 year minimum interning and very VERY long hours with little to no financial reward for even more years!)... BUT it has to be one of the most rewarding jobs creating products that people end up holding, using and hopefully loving!
it is nice to get paid to do your hobby also!11-28-2012 07:27 PM
- I work in a call center, and we were having a little downtime. Everyone had their phones out. Iphones, S3's, I pull out the Lumia and started texting. My manager an Apple fanboy saw my 920 called me a blasphemer. That led to everyone wanting to see the phone and ask about colors.11-28-2012 08:39 PMLike 4
- My company has a lot of WP and MS users so I don't get that many questions about it. As a tech company, though, we have plenty of diversification in the phone ownership market. Just of my closest coworkers, there are iPhones, Galaxies, other nondescript Android phones, etc. I'm the only 920, though!11-28-2012 09:44 PM
- By Vector555 in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 40Last Post: 11-07-2016, 09:35 PM
- By JPDVM2014 in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 6Last Post: 06-15-2012, 11:51 PM
- By baseballbert in forum Nokia Lumia 900Replies: 40Last Post: 04-29-2012, 11:23 PM
- By TheWeeBear in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 13Last Post: 11-18-2011, 03:14 PM
- By mmaman in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 4Last Post: 09-10-2011, 10:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD