Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I had a waitress ask me about it at a diner last week. She was so excited when she saw the phone because her co-worker was "obsessed" -- I let her take it to the back to show him. On Thanksgiving, we were in a restaurant (we're New Yorkers) and when I was taking photos of my surf and turf, I could hear people around me commenting about the phone and pointing to look -- which was really cool. Microsoft and Nokia really need to take advantage of this momentum and buzz because I wasn't expecting this.

I carry and review just about every new toy that hits the market and with the exception of the iPad mini and the iPhone 5, I can't recall any other device this calendar year that elicited feedback and commentary from strangers.
    Focus is an awesome phone, imho. I was interrupted so many times for questions about the screen!

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    No one noticed my black 920 :( Knew I should have gone with red darn it.
    unstoppablekem likes this.
    Developer

Too bad Nokia gave us the black 920s at Build, if they gave us the red one I'm sure waitresses would've tried stealing it too. that's a couple thousand more "sales people"

Global Posts
    1,331 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eshy View Post
    Too bad Nokia gave us the black 920s at Build, if they gave us the red one I'm sure waitresses would've tried stealing it too. that's a couple thousand more "sales people"
    You make it sound like you are upset your phone isn't going to get stolen by a waitress, haha

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I actually have multiple stories about my Nokia Lumia 920 (black).

First day I got it I was asked if it actually that was a phone because of the size.

All the girls were like "OMG its so big/hug/like a brick". I couldn't help myself and go with the "that's what she said" jokes.

When to a football game and I started taking pictures, a friend of mine was soo please with the image quality that she took my phone and started taking pictures of everybody for an complete hour.

Am I pleased with my phone? **** yeah. It's bulky, fast and it calls for everybody attention. Even people with iPhones and Androids drop their jaws when they see the phone.

:)

Someone at my office wanted to see my new phone as I had been waiting to upgrade my cracked screen WP7 for like 3 months. The reaction was very positive to the L920. The most memorable reaction was when I went to the gamer's hub and my avatar walked on the screen and waved. My coworker was awed about the walking on screen part and actually waved back to the avatar:)

That kind of makes me think Microsoft has gold if they can make the avatar interact with the user!

Global Posts
    657 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ebsn View Post
    That kind of makes me think Microsoft has gold if they can make the avatar interact with the user!
    Please no...not another Clippy!!!!

MDak280 likes this.

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ebsn View Post

You can. If you poke your avatar, it laughs, dance, or gets mad at you if you continuously poke it. Also, if you shake the phone, your avatar will lose balance and fall.
    jdhooghe likes this.
    Developer

Global Posts
    1,314 Global Posts
    Did someone mention an elevator???

*Warning* Tangent alert!!!
    Extremely Scary Ghost Elevator Prank in Brazil - YouTube

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dray0n View Post
    ...about fifteen people and the WP8 was passed around to everyone to play with...
    I cringe at the thought of my phone being passed around by 15 people. Another guy on this thread let his phone be taken to the back of a restaurant and another let his friend use his phone as a camera for an hour.

I know everyone is different but there is NO WAY I'd let someone else have nothing more but a quick glance at my phone
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,516 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aubreyq View Post
    I cringe at the thought of my phone being passed around by 15 people. Another guy on this thread let his phone be taken to the back of a restaurant and another let his friend use his phone as a camera for an hour.

I know everyone is different but there is NO WAY I'd let someone else have nothing more but a quick glance at my phone
    I'm with you. I get picked on all the time because I'm known as someone who doesn't let anyone touch my phone. I know it's just a material thing, but who cares. It's mine and I don't want anyone touching it!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    695 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jleebiker View Post
    Did someone mention an elevator???

*Warning* Tangent alert!!!
    Extremely Scary Ghost Elevator Prank in Brazil - YouTube

*standing ovation*

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    jleebiker likes this.

i had just such an encounter on monday when a business acquaintance (yep, iPhone user....ya know it) suddenly went 'ooooh a Windows phone.....how is it to use?' at which point i started waxing lyrical and doing the 'flick the UI around' stuff...it's only a black 800 so it wasn't the spangly newness of the phone that caught his eye, but obviously the advertising recognition is starting to soak in, especially with the more 'aware' (i was gonna say 'tech-savvy' but that's a disservice to the ever-more-vast phone market) and people are seeing it as interesting and desirable, rather than just 'not one of us' (lol)
    Developer

Quote Originally Posted by BlobDude View Post
    This x100000. Almost everyone I've talked to about my red L920 has assumed it had a case. When I tell them otherwise or hand them the phone, they're always shocked.
    I get the same thing with my Yellow one, "no, this does not have a case on it, it's the actual color"! I was on the bus this morning and pulled it out to find different music on Xbox Music and someone from the back of the bus moved up to talk to me about my phone. It's BRIGHT and makes people notice! :D
    Talderon

Device: Black Nokia Lumia 1520 (32GB Edition)
    Network: AT&T (LTE)

Global Posts
    620 Global Posts
    At least twice or more in a day.
    Sent from my Red L920 using Board Express

Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    I work in a call center, and we were having a little downtime. Everyone had their phones out. Iphones, S3's, I pull out the Lumia and started texting. My manager an Apple fanboy saw my 920 called me a blasphemer. That led to everyone wanting to see the phone and ask about colors.
    Thanked by:
    MDak280 likes this.

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    this happened to me today. i was taking the city metro bus to downtown. i sat down in a seat next to a couple. pulled out my phone and browsed this site for a min then the guy asked me what phone did i have. i told him it was a lumia 920 and showed him the start screen. he asked who made that? (at the time he was holding an iphone 4. when he asked who made that he put his iphone in his pocket and i laughed inside a lil bit) i told him nokia. let him play with it for about 5min. told him it was an at&t exclusive right now. he said his contract was up in december and he may have to switch. it kind of felt good in a pride sort of way.

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Lumia 920 was noticed at a restaurant last week. Guy seemed like a techie and seemed like he knew more about the phone than I did. He's getting a Nexus though (through his company). My other phone (Red Samsung GS3) is not getting much attention though.

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enever View Post
    It's Cyan (as was my 900). Yes, it's an obnoxious color but in a funny way that was kind of the point.

I am actually an industrial designer who has worked on phone design projects (as well as tablets, tv's etc etc) for several of the largest cell phone manufacturers, as well as working on Windows phone 7 "related products" before it was released a few years ago. I have been so fed up of the mundaneness of the iphone and all of its rounded black rectangle with a splash of chrome " samsung clones" ever since that i was waiting and waiting and waiting for a device like the Lumia to use windows phone and jumped at the product when launched. So when it came, i wanted the color that made it the most obviously not an iPhone! (and i like matte finishes, so the upgrade had to be cyan really!)

on a side note, as someone who as worked on endless " make a cell phone that is better than an iphone" briefs. I can tell you that it was a simple case of Nokia finally being the first one to have the balls (/ be desperate enough) to actually go with an interesting/ different form factor over everyone else. Designers didn't just stop designing interesting phones, it was more that all the major companies wanted a slice of the apple pie (excuse the pun!) and wanted to stick as close as possible to that form factor in order to be as un-risky as possible.

So i just want to say a big thank you to Nokia for doing this as it has made what has been a "head banging against a brick wall" job for the past 4 years into an enjoyable and interesting one again now that companies are willing to try these things (see HTC 8x and co).

if you don't mind me asking, how did you get into industrial design? That's the field I want to go into, and I'd love to pick your brain if you wouldn't mind. :3

Back on topic, everyone stares at my Red 920, but no one has asked yet.

Quote Originally Posted by kumasokka View Post
    if you don't mind me asking, how did you get into industrial design? That's the field I want to go into, and I'd love to pick your brain if you wouldn't mind. :3

Back on topic, everyone stares at my Red 920, but no one has asked yet.
    I guess this is off topic and may need to be a private thread. But to put it simply, by studying Industrial Design at University.

It's a long and hard course/ road from day one of the degree to full time employment ( 4 year minimum course, 1 year minimum interning and very VERY long hours with little to no financial reward for even more years!)... BUT it has to be one of the most rewarding jobs creating products that people end up holding, using and hopefully loving!

it is nice to get paid to do your hobby also!

Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by masterchief1984 View Post
    I work in a call center, and we were having a little downtime. Everyone had their phones out. Iphones, S3's, I pull out the Lumia and started texting. My manager an Apple fanboy saw my 920 called me a blasphemer. That led to everyone wanting to see the phone and ask about colors.
    Did he shine the Apple symbol into the sky to alert Tim Cook about your allegiance?
    Developer

It's funny. Even Lumia 920 owners stop me and ask to see my yellow one. Lol!
    Talderon

Device: Black Nokia Lumia 1520 (32GB Edition)
    Network: AT&T (LTE)

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    alot of people wonder if there is a case on it lol silly folks, cases are for iphones!
    Thanked by:
    unstoppablekem and ColeHarris like this.

My company has a lot of WP and MS users so I don't get that many questions about it. As a tech company, though, we have plenty of diversification in the phone ownership market. Just of my closest coworkers, there are iPhones, Galaxies, other nondescript Android phones, etc. I'm the only 920, though!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast