Is glove typing even useful?

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
So I'm impressed with the ability of the 920 to be able to type with gloves on. But not all gloves are thin like surgical gloves. Does typing with regular winter gloves even work? I'm thinking your fingers would be sausage thick and while you would indeed press some key it may not be the key you want and even autocorrect wouldn't be able to help.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
No it's not really useful, but these guys ARE from Finland after all, so you can hardly blame them for wanting to have a phone that you can at least get some things done on with gloves on.

I live in Florida so it's a non-issue for me.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Could you upload a video of typing with gloves on? If you could show one handed as well as two handed typing that would be awesome.

LikeWaah

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Actually, it's really useful for me, and I live in California, where it's pretty much sunshine year round. It comes in handy in two ways.

I ride motorcycles, when you ride, you use gloves. Every now and then, you get an important call, or need to find your way around, so the phone gets pulled out. It's just that much nicer not having to take my gloves off.

I also snowboard, and again, gloves are often involved. Same thing, if I get a call, want to change my music, or anything beyond taking a photo. It's a lot nicer to not have to take my gloves off. It's actually a much bigger deal when I am snowboarding, than when I am riding my motorcycle.

There are also times when its cold enough here, that I wear regular gloves. They are leather, and have a layer inside, so they are not the thinnest gloves. I find that using the tip of my finger works the best. It takes a moment to get used to it, but you can get pretty accurate. I'm not positive, but I think it adapts a bit to you, so you need to give it a chance.

Also, you can always use your keys, or some other metallic object. I don't know if this is true, but I've heard you can even pick up a twig and use it. I haven't tried that.

But I have used my car/motorcycle keys as a stylus, and actually, that's kind of nice. I never hit the wrong key that way. But I've also found I can use the metal tip of my lighter too. So if you find you can't operate it with your gloves on, don't worry, you don't need to expose your hands to the cold/rain/snow, but just use your keys, or whatever is handy.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've used it with gloves (Northern California) and it works well. Pretty nice to not have to take them off in the cold fog in the SF Bay area to do a quick email or Facebook check, but I probably wouldn't want to type a novel with them on.

Kissanviikset

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Works well on my motorcycle gloves. I'm planning to buy phone stand mounted in to handlebar for navigating and blue-tooth stereo headset for music listening while riding. Can someone suggest fairly cheap (around 50€) blue-tooth stereo headset that works well with helmet?

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I use some pretty thin Under Armour gloves meant for running pretty much all the time in cold weather, unless it happens to be REALLY cold and windy (live in Boston). I find the issue is less with the thickness of the gloves and more with the dexterity you lose. These running gloves work well and they have a nice "sticky" grip making the phone even harder to drop than just a bare hand.

ololmarc

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
So I'm impressed with the ability of the 920 to be able to type with gloves on. But not all gloves are thin like surgical gloves. Does typing with regular winter gloves even work? I'm thinking your fingers would be sausage thick and while you would indeed press some key it may not be the key you want and even autocorrect wouldn't be able to help.

i used my 920 today with gloves (vancouver). i was able to send out messages, though it was hard for my 920 to detect the gloves when using the screen initially, but after it calibrated or so, it was really nice to use.

Sanpd

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
In Denmark where it is almost always raining or snowing. It can be very difficult or annoying having to remove your gloves first whenever you need to use your phone. After I have gotten my 920, I don't have too anymore. It works smooth even when it is purring down and after a couple of times typing with gloves on you get the hold of it and it becomes almost as smooth as typing without.

As a closing note: I use rather big gloves, almost eskimo like gloves.

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Its useful, I had special glows for using with touch devices and I lost them in the train. Now I can wear any gloves and use the phone.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
It's not only about typing with gloves on, I probably wouldn't bother with that anyways.

I'm from Finland, where pretty exactly half the year is cold enough to wear at least light gloves. Now, you get a phone call or perhaps you just want to set your phone to vibration only cos you are walking to work/school. Maybe you want to start the music player? Change the song? Check the calendar fast? All these would pretty much require you to take your gloves off with other phones. Here it can be even -30 celsius during winters, so you really dont feel like taking that glove off even for a while.

So yeah, I dont think I will bother trying to type with gloves on, but there are SEVERAL others thigns that require much less finesse so that they can be done with gloves on, and they are all such things that I find myself doing with my phones. Often when it's cold enough I just wont do it until I get indoors.

During summers I motorcycle a lot. Now mototrcycle gloves are usually "harder" to get off fast and put back on cos they often have some fastening straps etc as well as having mine tucked into my leather jacket too, so simply being able to take that call or whatever without having to end up hassling minutes worth with the gloves off and back on is a great feature.

And outside all that, using a makeshift stylus is a nice option too.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
It's just a novelty feature to make the phone stand out from the crowd. If it really was needed it would have been implemented long ago. It's nothing revolutionary.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
It's just a novelty feature to make the phone stand out from the crowd. If it really was needed it would have been implemented long ago. It's nothing revolutionary.

Thread has several people saying how they love the super sensitive feature because of the weather conditions in where they live and this guy calls it a novelty feature... I sure would have enjoyed answering phone calls today without taking my gloves off (-5 Celsius and a blizzard).

B T C

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm in central Michigan, and it doesn't work with the gloves I currently wear, which are thinsulate lined deerskin, with an additional liner. It does seem to work if I'm only wearing the liner, but as soon as I put on the leather gloves I get no response.

I think it's a great idea, and I wish it were a little more effective.

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I tried this with a pair of leather gloves, kind of like driving gloves, and it did not work. Defective phone or is it limited to certain materials?

TheDvlsAdvc8

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
My wife noticed that her nails will work on my 920. They don't work on her iphone, which forces her to use the less accurate pad of her finger to tap things rather than the tip. She says its a pretty big deal and an awesome feature.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism