I tried but I had to return it.

TMorss

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I bought a black 920 off contract at Best Buy on launch day. I love the OS and was okay with the lack of apps. What killed me was build quality. The first 920 had weird static in the earpeice and speaker. When I went to exchange it they told me I was the third one. So I got my new one and it worked great until yesterday. I got to work and it was fully charged. I sat it down for a second and walked over to help one of my guys. I came back to see if I had any emails and it was dead. Full battery to nothing. It wouldn't charge or nothing it was like bricked. I took it back to best buy and they tried it with different chargers and nothing. So I gave up and went back to an S3. Nokia needs to work on their quality control.

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Ya man, not sure if it is the phone. I think there are some OS issues. My phone has been rock solid since day one (over 2 weeks). Today, I installed the Fandango app and left it running all day in the background. When I went out to my car, the phone was dead (I thought it was locked up). When I got home and put it on the Nokia wall charger, it came to life after 15 minutes. Before that, the battery showed as fully discharged, yet an hour later it showed almost 80% and now 2 hours later it is at 90%.. so that tells me something wrong with OS and how battery usage is calculated (think it has been mentioned a few times in the forums). Anyway, I'm going to make sure I exit out of all apps for now and will probably uninstall any apps that I have installed prior to any weird issue like this (like the Fandango app).

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Got my red lumia 920 3 days ago. Working great until this morning, when I woke up to a dead phone. Fully charged before going to bed so wasn't sure what happened, and plugging in the charger did nothing. Tried one of the 3 finger button combos and was relieved to see it restart.

Jaybotics

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I returned my black 920 before my 14 days were up with AT&T. I LOVE the phone, believe me I do, BUT their were a few key apps that I really needed that aren't on WP, and have no signs of going to the WP ecosystem. I am still going back and forth between wanting to buy it unlocked so I don't use my ATT upgrade just yet, I'm waiting to see if Nokia updates the camera software soon.

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Jaybotics, Nokia has reported that the camera update will come fairly soon (early next year?). Curious what key apps you are missing (you should write the company so they know). I know there are quite a few like I'd like to see Viper port over their Smartstart app so I could use it on my 920. I also cancelled my SiriusXM subscription because they don't have an app (no sat coverage where I live). I hate seeing commercials with a company advertising their app on Android and iPhone. They'll come.. just painful right now.

slashd0t

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
This is what happens when a hardware OEM has no control over the software.. Nokia didn't even get WP8 until fairly soon before launch.. So guess who gets to beta test the device for the first few months? Early adopters like us.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, build quality is an issue that has plagued, well, nearly every successful device at launch. It's just the way of things. I remember how many issues I had with my 3GS. My Wife had issues with her 5. I have had issues with the 920 too. My sincere advice for anyone considering a phone on launch day is, if you are not willing to deal with troubleshooting, don't bother. If you are a power user, or simply picky, you are going to find something wrong with it. I can almost guarantee that.

That said, there are plenty of "I tried but I returned it" threads. Can we please not make a new one every stinking time? Thanks!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo