Is it me or has the L920 Forum gone down hill since the release.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Nah, it's just like any forum where you tend to get people bringing up their issues more than their good experiences since usually when you are happy you don't come post about it. It will settle over time as things get addressed and apps get released and/or updated.

sabotagebx

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
There are tons of positive things to post about with the phone. The negative responses are because something they expected to work correctly is not working correctly. I would be extremely frustrated if my phone was broken out of box and I could not get a replacement for weeks due to low supply. A lot of things surrounding this phone are terrible right now because of the low supply of the phone, the almost non-existence of this promised charger, and the things missing in the OS, the carriers themselves ect. The phone is seriously one of the best phones out right now, it will be the best once they add a few more features and apps. Right now, we are in the dark about all of that and have no clue if the necessary updates will come out and if so when. Microsoft and Nokia are not giving us much to work with currently as far as the future goes with those phone and OS. These problems may seem small and trivial to some, but to a lot of phone owners they are deal breakers, just the way it is.

I personally think this phone is downright awesome. This OS should be a lot more developed as far as I am concerned, just based on where we are with technology. MS sees this success of certain features and apps and does not included them in their ecosystem is very surprising, especially for a company that wants to succeed in this market. They need to do something fast to this OS and quick.

This phone needs WAY better marketing and same for the OS. People have quite the negative view on windows phones and these ads I am see just are not doing it for MS. Nokia, MS, and ATT really need to pick this up, the 920 is seriously one of the best phones to hit the market, right up there with the iphone 5, note2, gs3. Did I mention it is only $100.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I was actually noticing this. Some will say "it's like any other forum". I say that's not the case over in iPhone land... (and no, that is not meant to take a jab at anyone, it's the simple truth, I frequent too many forums :sweaty:)

blackfire

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
It might be a good time for a poll to check early adopters', or general satisfaction about almost 3 weeks of the device being released. I had a few issues with my first unit, but right now I'm very happy with the second one.

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
This phone needs WAY better marketing and same for the OS. People have quite the negative view on windows phones and these ads I am see just are not doing it for MS. Nokia, MS, and ATT really need to pick this up, the 920 is seriously one of the best phones to hit the market, right up there with the iphone 5, note2, gs3. Did I mention it is only $100.

Why do they need WAY better marketing at this point? You spent the entire first part of your post complaining about issues related to low supply. So that makes a ton of sense.. Whip out your super cool marketing to drive folks to the shops to get a phone they can't get. Seems like the current marketing and word of mouth is working just fine. Sales and expected sales seem to be wayyyy above what most analysts thought would happen. So... I'll disagree with that particular point.

They (Nokia, and MS...and probably HTC) have some issues to work through. I'd say this initial release has been pretty dang good and will get better with time. To the folks that have had their deal broken... they'll be back I bet. Everyone just needs to relax and take a deep breath. This IS NOT the worst and most frustrating thing you will ever end up experiencing in your life. So might as well start practicing patience now.. it'll pay off later.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I love my Lumia 920. Maybe all the positive people are to busy playing with and enjoying their phones?

This +1
Im loving my phone and only really check back here to see if any interesting apps are out or the camera has been patched otherwise I just leave it unless there is a particularly bad case of trolling and then I pile in..

blackfire

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
By the way, I just visited MacRumors' iPhone forum, and it is not that different. Many complains about the iPhone 5: battery life, iOS having issues, build quality... sounds familiar, doesn't it?

sabotagebx

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Why do they need WAY better marketing at this point? You spent the entire first part of your post complaining about issues related to low supply. So that makes a ton of sense.. Whip out your super cool marketing to drive folks to the shops to get a phone they can't get. Seems like the current marketing and word of mouth is working just fine. Sales and expected sales seem to be wayyyy above what most analysts thought would happen. So... I'll disagree with that particular point.

They (Nokia, and MS...and probably HTC) have some issues to work through. I'd say this initial release has been pretty dang good and will get better with time. To the folks that have had their deal broken... they'll be back I bet. Everyone just needs to relax and take a deep breath. This IS NOT the worst and most frustrating thing you will ever end up experiencing in your life. So might as well start practicing patience now.. it'll pay off later.

Their marketing teams right now are terrible, it needs to be addressed thats all Im saying. The phone did well from what we understand, we still dont know for sure though. If they want to be powerhouses in this phone game things to be upped quite a bit. yes I mentioned low supply because the supply was stupid low, had I not gotten lucky I would never have given this phone a chance nor would i have given any wp a chance and a lot of people will not based on these reviews. the reviews this phone has received have been okay, still a lot of complaining about the same story, its heavy, its big, no app support and the fact its missing key features. people dont wanna hear that crap at this point in the cell phone game. we are impatient people, we tend not to stick around because something MIGHT happen soon. it's hard to get people to jump ship and as it stands now. time to step it up, give people more reasons to be curious and jump **** and check out the waters.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
This IS NOT the worst and most frustrating thing you will ever end up experiencing in your life. So might as well start practicing patience now.. it'll pay off later.

I agree with most of what you said (I even threw you a like). But the thing with this final statement is this: Nobody thinks this is the most frustrating thing they will ever deal with. But when there are other options that are less frustrating, people tend to flock toward them. I don't think there are enough hardware and software issues to deem this launch a flop, by any means. But it could have, and should have, been way better.

sabotagebx

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
By the way, I just visited MacRumors' iPhone forum, and it is not that different. Many complains about the iPhone 5: battery life, iOS having issues, build quality... sounds familiar, doesn't it?

I was very let down with the iphone 5. apple has always done a quality job on their phones, this 4s and 5 seemed lazy, unimaginative, wasteful, and rushed. they did not care.

sabotagebx

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I agree with most of what you said (I even threw you a like). But the thing with this final statement is this: Nobody thinks this is the most frustrating thing they will ever deal with. But when there are other options that are less frustrating, people tend to flock toward them. I don't think there are enough hardware and software issues to deem this launch a flop, by any means. But it could have, and should have, been way better.

agreed, for a flagship phone that has so much potential, the teams at nokia, ms, and att were a serious let down when it comes to pushing this phone. I understand it did some quality numbers, imagine what could have been if they were not lazy

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I think it's the fact that many people instead of posting in already made forums, tend to start new threads even though they're is already a thread about the issue. Like I can't even count how many "my camera sucks" and bad battery life threads there are. I'm in favor of new sticky topics or something to cover these issues (minor).

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site

A lot of design and engineering went into this phone as well as WP8. It's possible that things are going way better than either Elop or Balmer expected. They might all be high fiving each other thinking "Holy sh1t, we pulled that one out of our butts". A lot of folks were thinking that 1m 920 sold worldwide would have been satisfactory...Now I'm reading that 3 to 3.5 might be expected. Easy to sit on the sidelines and say it could have and should have gone better. All things considered, could it really have gone much better? Debatable since we aren't privy to any of the "inside" details. Either way, it seems like all the companies are bending over big time to do the right thing (free charger, free earphones, easy replacements, cheap price!, even cheaper price with a refund to previous purchasers). I agree with you that people will take the path of least resistance, but I still think they will be back.

I'm not so sure that some don't realize that this isn't the worse thing that will happen to them. For some, at this moment in time, whatever phone issue they are having sure seems like a pretty traumatic event. It's frustrating.. I get it but a little understanding of the bigger picture and realizing that being an early adopter carries certain risks will go a long towards lowering ones' stress level.

sabotagebx

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
A lot of design and engineering went into this phone as well as WP8. It's possible that things are going way better than either Elop or Balmer expected. They might all be high fiving each other thinking "Holy sh1t, we pulled that one out of our butts". A lot of folks were thinking that 1m 920 sold worldwide would have been satisfactory...Now I'm reading that 3 to 3.5 might be expected. Easy to sit on the sidelines and say it could have and should have gone better. All things considered, could it really have gone much better? Debatable since we aren't privy to any of the "inside" details. Either way, it seems like all the companies are bending over big time to do the right thing (free charger, free earphones, easy replacements, cheap price!, even cheaper price with a refund to previous purchasers). I agree with you that people will take the path of least resistance, but I still think they will be back.

I'm not so sure that some don't realize that this isn't the worse thing that will happen to them. For some, at this moment in time, whatever phone issue they are having sure seems like a pretty traumatic event. It's frustrating.. I get it but a little understanding of the bigger picture and realizing that being an early adopter carries certain risks will go a long towards lowering ones' stress level.

the whole early adopter thing should not be an issue with companies these days. with as much R&D, quality control, beta testing ect certain issues or lack of features should not be seen at this day and age in cell phones

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
The only let downs I have are software related. I'm not a skype user, but my family is. Why wasn't that ready at launch? Nokia Drive is a joke. The Mapping experience is broken in general on the lumias, but not the HTCs. Battery life..... I shouldn't have to "manage" my phone to get good life out of a 2000mah baatter. I never had to with my 800 or HTC trophy. Camera, there certainly are issues with it. The apps are of course software related, and I think the battery issues are as well.

Expectations were set VERY high for this phone and its fallen short in my eyes. How can Nokia drive be released with less features than it's wp7 version? I place most blame on Nokia for my frustrations. MS certainly should not get a free pass though.

And now the phone is out of stock everywhere. You can't sell what you don't have to sell. This could turn out to be their biggest failure yet and the one that could sink them for good.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
The same thing happened when the 900 came out.

It always happens because you get an influx of clueless new users who think forums exist only as a place for them to ***** and complain or demand answers for their problems with 12 exclamation points in the thread title. They don't use the search and post 20 threads about the same dumb crap.

It will die down after a bit and the true fans and people who want to have constructive dialog will remain. We just have to endure a few more months of *****ing and moaning and people with 2 posts telling us why they are returning their 920 after 2 days to get an iPhone or a Note 2.

Maybe I'll just take a vacation from this forum until then.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb