Bye Bye Lumia...

Status
Not open for further replies.

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I gotta say, the Note 2's battery life never seems to disappoint people. If the OP is after long battery life, the Note 2 is one of the best things he can get.

My grandfather has a Jitterbug. Has to charge that baby up maybe once every 2 weeks.

eallan

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
The note 2 hate is delicious. It's completely usable as a phone, also seems to have sold more than the lumia so far. (I own both and enjoy both.)

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
No congusano, the OP is absolutely ridiculous and we are glad to be rid of him. Instead of being mature and going to the community for help or guidance, he made a ridiculous post that was more of a way to convince themselves that they were right in giving up their 920. I have nothing against the note and I have nothing against my nexus 7 but my fiances EVO had terrible battery and most people I talk to have terrible battery life on android. Certainly you can fit as big of a battery in that mammoth of a tablet/phone as you want and offset the major power consumption.

sabotagebx

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
No congusano, the OP is absolutely ridiculous and we are glad to be rid of him. Instead of being mature and going to the community for help or guidance, he made a ridiculous post that was more of a way to convince themselves that they were right in giving up their 920. I have nothing against the note and I have nothing against my nexus 7 but my fiances EVO had terrible battery and most people I talk to have terrible battery life on android. Certainly you can fit as big of a battery in that mammoth of a tablet/phone as you want and offset the major power consumption.

the 920 is a rather large phone itself if you hadnt noticed so why isnt their a mammoth battery offsetting those same problems? Battery life should be just as good as these other phones with lte enabled, nfc, location services, and live updates. just my two sense. we have come too far with cell phones to have issues like this.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
It isn't that hard to get 13+ hours of battery life out of the Lumia 920.

For the people that get 10 hours or less of battery life, what are you doing with the phone? Honestly.

Cause, if you are actually using the phone then maybe 8-10 hours is just a sign of how much you are using the phone. My next question is whether or not you are enjoying the time you have with the phone. For the 8-10 hours you have a charge, do you find yourself happy with the phone overall?

If you are happy overall with the phone as it is during the 8-10 hours you can use the device before it needs charging then I fail to see how this is a bad thing? Smartphones need to be charged up more than a traditional phone. Smartphones have more connectivity options, meaning more radios on board, that each call out a fair amount of power in order to run efficiently. You can shut those radios off, temporarily lose that functionality until you switch them back on, and save some battery.

Things I do:

1. Email is an hourly pull. I want access to my email but I don't need it the second it arrives in my inbox.
  2. Radios are off when I don't need them. (Bluetooth, WiFi, NFC, etc.)
  3. If I have poor or no coverage, the phone is put in standby (Less strain = battery savings)
  4. I use Nokia Drive or Navigon only if I don't know where I'm going.
  5. I don't play games more than twenty minutes at a time
  6. I find the time to actually turn off my Lumia for a bit

Aside from having NFC on for the first four hours I had my Lumia 920, I have not had it on since. Until our credit/debit cards are linked via NFC and we can pay for items at the register putting our phones up to the NFC reader I'm not going to use it.

It's been 6 hours at this point since I had my Lumia 920 plugged into anything. I've utilized some battery intensive applications so I know the hardware was taxed some, but no more than what I would do in a day. If I didn't listen to music on my phone there is a reasonable chance that on standby and not being used while I'm at work my phone would carry a significant charge through the 6:00 hour. At that time I would be 14 hours off the charger, but I would probably put it on the car charger just to be safe. Because I listen to music, I think I will get anywhere from 11-12 hours of usage. Losing 2-3 hours of battery life to listen to music (streaming by the way, on WiFi) is a fair trade-off to keep me from getting bored at the office.

I am getting more than 4 hours on my battery. I am getting more than 8 hours on my battery. I will get more than 12 hours on my battery. In the end that is what appeals to me and why I'll keep the Lumia 920. Many Android phones cannot make the same claims.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
the 920 is a rather large phone itself if you hadnt noticed so why isnt their a mammoth battery offsetting those same problems? Battery life should be just as good as these other phones with lte enabled, nfc, location services, and live updates. just my two sense. we have come too far with cell phones to have issues like this.

Android has been out how long compared to Windows Phone? Nokia has had how many generations of phone? Windows Phone 8 has been out how long?

Compared to the android and iOS, WP is still in it's infancy. The Lumia 920 is first generation. Give it time. ****, at least give it a few months...

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Some people around these forums crack me up with their RAWR GTFO mentality. I sometimes get the feeling that they are offended that someone else didn't like their smartphone/device of choice. What works for you might not work for the next person. If that was the case, we would all be running around with the same exact phone if there was a clear winner. Be mad at something else other than things like this. There is a whole world that could use some of that anger put towards a good cause. Grow the He!! up.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
we have come too far with cell phones to have issues like this...

You are correct and I agree with that statement, but forming and shaping a battery to fit a specific phone profile right now is more important than longevity. I think Nokia had a good balance of form, fit and function but really the tech in the batteries does need to improve. Do we need 2-3 day durations between charges? Not necessarily, but it would be nice.

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

I failed at my post then. I should have added a /sarcasm tag at the end of it.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
The note 2 hate is delicious. It's completely usable as a phone, also seems to have sold more than the lumia so far. (I own both and enjoy both.)

It's a comically oversized piece of flimsy plastic crap. I remember the first time I saw one in the store, I picked it up and the battery cover was superglued to the theft prevention cable and the flimsy battery cover bent off like a wet noodle staying stuck to the display while the phone came free.

Not impressed with the typical Samsung build quality, nor the overly fussy interface with Samsungs crappy UI.

Pretty useless product overall and most of it's features don't work nearly as well as advertised. I can't imagine what kind of neckbeard nerdy tool would buy such a thing honestly.

sabotagebx

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Android has been out how long compared to Windows Phone? Nokia has had how many generations of phone? Windows Phone 8 has been out how long?

Compared to the android and iOS, WP is still in it's infancy. The Lumia 920 is first generation. Give it time. ****, at least give it a few months...

I understand all of that and I am not denying that at all. However, there is no excuse for the laziness on MS's end to not include key things. it's like "hey we saw the success of all of these key features that make people love their phones and we decided we did not want to include them yet because the OS is new and that is a quality excuse"

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Some people around these forums crack me up with their RAWR GTFO mentality. I sometimes get the feeling that they are offended that someone else didn't like their smartphone/device of choice. What works for you might not work for the next person. If that was the case, we would all be running around with the same exact phone if there was a clear winner. Be mad at something else other than things like this. There is a whole world that could use some of that anger put towards a good cause. Grow the He!! up.

No, not offended.

Just irritated that people come here and post 1-3 times and all they are posting for is to tell us they don't like the phone and they are getting an iPhone or some Samsh*t.

Why would anyone care to hear that?

No one gives a **** that you are trading your phone in. Just trade it in and STFU.

There is absolutely zero need or purpose to post on your way out.

JConn_Lefty

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site
my lumia 920's battery has improved drastically in the last three days. prior to that, i had to charge it twice/day. now, it lasts me all day and it use the **** out of it. i just cant put this damn phone down!!!

funny thing is, i really didn't do anything. i guess it took several cycles for the battery to "wake-up"??? idk... all i know is that the battery life is awesome now.

it does seem to charge a lot slower than the iphone 4s however.

sabotagebx

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
we have come too far with cell phones to have issues like this...

You are correct and I agree with that statement, but forming and shaping a battery to fit a specific phone profile right now is more important than longevity. I think Nokia had a good balance of form, fit and function but really the tech in the batteries does need to improve. Do we need 2-3 day durations between charges? Not necessarily, but it would be nice.

I definitely do not need 2-3 days between charges, I charge mine every single night regardless if it needs it or not. What shouldnt be happening is not being able to use these features and the phone not lasting a days worth of use. I dont need to be on the damn thing for 8 hours straight, but if I want to browse here and there, send a text here and there, play a game for 20 minutes it should not leave me needing to charge my phone soon after. Considering how long this phone takes to charge from near depletion sucks but it is what it is. Not sure how other large phones like the 8x, note2, and gs3 take to charge, hopefully its comparable.

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I also think that the OP's reason of battery life for shunning 920 doesn't sound too convincing.
It looks more like an excuse to go back to Android.
But hey, whatever works for him.

blackfire

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I get battery life on a par with my Windows Phone on my Android tablet... Both easily get me through the day! Plus the Note 2 has a huge battery. Don't be so quick to dismiss android based on preconceptions.

+1
I love Windows Phone, and while WP7 was very light on resources utilization (like battery consumption), Windows Phone 8 is not as light. Battery life is still good for units without issues, but I would've still expected a 2000 mah battery to last a bit longer.

That said, I am also against just dismissing other platforms like that. I have enjoyed my Galaxy Tab 8.9 and I get awesome battery life out of it (not too different from my Surface RT). Even when I do not plan to get any other Android or iOS devices in the near future, I do respect them and other people's preference for them as long as it doesn't falls into "fanboysm".

jaqueh

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
So you got rid of a decent phone for a "phone" that cant really be used as a phone due to its size.....

I haven't charged my 920 for 2 days with moderate to heavy use for net surfing, Facebook etc etc....
Probably as I turn the **** off I don't need and disable Mobile Data when I'm home on Wifi....

People really need to learn before bashing.... Because they can't get more than 10hrs clearly shows you're doing summit wrong!

Wow Jobs, I turn off my data all the time, and even Wi-Fi when I'm traveling, but the phone still cannot last more than 12 hours on a single charge. By its 12th hour, my iphone 4 would be only at ~40% without babying the settings at all. On my iphone, I still have push on, wifi on, cellular on, and location on!

Also, I have nokia drive disabled, nfc off, and sensitivity to normal.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't think people understand the power of these phones. These phones are not going to last like your old Nokia phones from Cingular Wireless with snake on it. These phones now an days, pull and push data have GPS running, WiFi, bright screens, Fast internet connection and the works. If you use the phone yes the battery drains. Just like a laptop most laptops get 5-7 hours on one charge before dying if your using it. These phones are like little computers heck so 10+ hours is not farfetched. You want a phone to last forever, get a Jitterbug or a Blackberry. For what all this phone does for me IMO 10+ hours is pretty great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster