Warmer screen color

vanx21

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have access to two Lumia 920's (friend's and mine) and last night I noticed that mine is a little bit warmer, colorwise. I can definitely notice an small red hue.
I'm a retoucher so I can see the difference from miles away.

Has anyone noticed the same? Is it maybe part of the last updates?

Both cellphones were bought at different times. White and Cyan.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Did you try masking the bodies of the phone off? It's possible that the cyan frame is giving the illusion that the colors are different. My wife and I both have Kindle 3s - hers is white and mine is black. I was looking at them side-by-side and was annoyed that hers looked like it had better contrast. I masked the frames off with white paper, and the screens are the same - the white just made it look more contrasty :)

vanx21

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Did you try masking the bodies of the phone off? It's possible that the cyan frame is giving the illusion that the colors are different. My wife and I both have Kindle 3s - hers is white and mine is black. I was looking at them side-by-side and was annoyed that hers looked like it had better contrast. I masked the frames off with white paper, and the screens are the same - the white just made it look more contrasty :)

We're actually using the same case (belkin surround) which covers the from part of phone. So from the front you can't tell which phone is which.
To tell you the truth the color hue doesn't bother me that much (barely noticeable). Is the possible lack of consistency in production. Like for example, my side buttons show more than his. Again, I can live with that. Don't want to sound like a diva queen. Besides that I'm loving the phone.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
We're actually using the same case (belkin surround) which covers the from part of phone. So from the front you can't tell which phone is which.
To tell you the truth the color hue doesn't bother me that much (barely noticeable). Is the possible lack of consistency in production. Like for example, my side buttons show more than his. Again, I can live with that. Don't want to sound like a diva queen. Besides that I'm loving the phone.

Maybe they'll make a tiny little ColorMunki or Spyder3 for it ;) Seriously, though, I just did a side-by-side between my wife's white Lumia 920 and my black one, and the color representation looks the same to my graphic design/photography eye.

Makes sense to me that considering the speed and urgency at which they had to get these out the door, the QC wouldn't be as tight as other phones. Nice thing about Nokia (and AT&T at least), is that as long as it's within the return period and they have another one, swapping it out would be pretty easy to do.

vanx21

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Maybe they'll make a tiny little ColorMunki or Spyder3 for it ;) Seriously, though, I just did a side-by-side between my wife's white Lumia 920 and my black one, and the color representation looks the same to my graphic design/photography eye.

Makes sense to me that considering the speed and urgency at which they had to get these out the door, the QC wouldn't be as tight as other phones. Nice thing about Nokia (and AT&T at least), is that as long as it's within the return period and they have another one, swapping it out would be pretty easy to do.

Oh! you gave me an idea there. The lumia 920 screen is so big that I can fit my spider3 on it :p
Besides that I don't feel like exchanging it. I'm sure it's me being extra picky.

Battery life, performance and so on is perfect. Don't regret the purchase.

hardcoreplur

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
I have access to two Lumia 920's (friend's and mine) and last night I noticed that mine is a little bit warmer, colorwise. I can definitely notice an small red hue.
I'm a retoucher so I can see the difference from miles away.

Has anyone noticed the same? Is it maybe part of the last updates?

Both cellphones were bought at different times. White and Cyan.
the screen also has an auto-contrast and color correction if the screens hasn't adjusted yet, it could throw the colors off. My screen when bonkers on an overcast day turning my cobalt blue tiles to a periwinkle color.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Oh! you gave me an idea there. The lumia 920 screen is so big that I can fit my spider3 on it :p.

I went down this rathole when I was annoyed at the blue tint of my Galaxy Tab 10.1. Datacolor or Pantone or whoever would have to write an app that created a custom color profile that loaded at startup. As far as anyone on the dev forums could tell, Android didn't allow for custom color profiles, so it would be too difficult to write the corresponding app for the device (they'd pretty much have to create a new branch of the OS to accommodate it). Considering it's just a small set of people that would care about that, it's not worth the effort to try to get that going. I don't know if MS allows for it in WP8, but unless they make that visible to developers, you probably won't see system-wide color correction anytime soon. I was hoping Apple would support it for the iPad, but no go on that either, so I gave up on the idea of using a tablet for any kind of real design or photography work.

vanx21

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I went down this rathole when I was annoyed at the blue tint of my Galaxy Tab 10.1. Datacolor or Pantone or whoever would have to write an app that created a custom color profile that loaded at startup. As far as anyone on the dev forums could tell, Android didn't allow for custom color profiles, so it would be too difficult to write the corresponding app for the device (they'd pretty much have to create a new branch of the OS to accommodate it). Considering it's just a small set of people that would care about that, it's not worth the effort to try to get that going. I don't know if MS allows for it in WP8, but unless they make that visible to developers, you probably won't see system-wide color correction anytime soon. I was hoping Apple would support it for the iPad, but no go on that either, so I gave up on the idea of using a tablet for any kind of real design or photography work.

I hear you.

dudedud

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Just got a replacement phone from rogers. Some issues from my old phone are fixed glass is even, the plate on the back is flush. Front facing camera isnt flickering between yellow and purple tint.
But now i have that issue with the top where it clicks. And my screen does have a warm colour compared to the old one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss